Southwest flyers - What carry-on do you use? (post pics!)

Cynthiagayle01

Mouseketeer
This will be my first time flying Southwest. We got the official size of a carry on from the website but I'm having the toughest time finding something in that limit. 10X16X24 inches. Can you other southwest flyers share some of the carry-ons you take? I want everything to go smoothly since this is our first time flying period!:scared1:

We'll be going in Nov/Dec so unfortunately we won't be packing shorts.:lmao::surfweb:

I don't have any pictures (sorry) but your average midsized piece of wheeled luggage works, as long as you don't overstuff it to a crazy level.

Google "wheeled luggage" or "carry on luggage" and you'll see endless pictures -- with dimensions listed.

We always bring at least one pair of shorts shorts for November -- it can still be hot some days!

We've done a few December trips and have on some days worn shorts with tee shirts and a sweatshir/hoodie on top. The hoodie usually came off around lunch time. Our legs were fine because we walk so much.

And we are from South Louisiana where it really doesn't get cold, so it's not like we are used to colder temps.

You may want to pack a couple of shorts just in case.

Have a great trip!!!

If i'm going to Disney, I only bring a back pack with my important items. I check one or two bags since it's free. I don't mind checking bags since Magical Express and resort airline check-in will do most of the work for me.

If i'm going on a business trip, I pack 1 suit case and use the small suit case the clips on the front as my carry on. This way I can maximize my luggage space, without having to lug around full suitcases.

Are you trying to find a bag that matches those dimensions exactly? I just went on ebags.com and clicked on Carry-on. The first result is within the guideline at 21x14x8.

Take a look in there and you'll probably find something you like.

Cynthia, the standard carry-on size for most airlines is 22” x 14” x 9” or 45 linear inches. The size you have mentioned is bigger than the regulation carry-on size, so I would be a little wary of buying something in those dimensions. You could check out this carry on luggage collection from Briggs & Riley. They’ve a wide selection of standard carry-on size bags. See if you think one of them would fit your requirements.

My son carries this eBags Mother Lode Mini (he's 6 and I've got a bum shoulder, so I searched for the lightest, easiest bag for a little one to pull and a defective Mom to hoist ;) ):

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?productid=837489

After we bought that bag, I loved it so much that I bought myself the eBags Mother Lode TLS Mini:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/125538?productid=1325215

Capacity is slightly less, but it looks a little nicer, and pockets, configurations, etc., are a little better. They each have their selling points. When packing my sons, I usually roll back the divider, so that it works as a rolling duffel and just stack all his stuff in there. He can easily pack for over a week in his one bag. We just got back from 5 nts at Disney (in June, so only summer stuff) and both of us carried only those bags and fit enough in to get through the whole trip without doing laundry and even had extra clothing items that we didn't ever wear.

The both fit perfectly in SWA overhead bins, the short way, with no squeezing. :)

My husband has a HUGE Tumi roller that weighs a ton and only fits horizontally in the bins. It somehow meets all the requirements, but is a beast. I hate that bag. He travels for business regularly though and carries it on every plane all the time. I'd go nuts lugging that thing around.

Like many of the Previous Posters have said, about any small to mid size bag will work. Southwest exclusively flies 737 aircraft, but the bins aren't particularly smaller than any other airline.

If you could take the bag you have on your other airline, then they'll probably fit on Southwest.

My son carries this eBags Mother Lode Mini (he's 6 and I've got a bum shoulder, so I searched for the lightest, easiest bag for a little one to pull and a defective Mom to hoist ;) ):

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?productid=837489

Does this bag stand up on its own? I see there's a bumper on the bottom, which is encouraging. That's one thing I hate about rolling duffels - they tend to fall over in the upright position. This one looks pretty darned good, though!

The original poster said that this is their first time flying, so the advise to use a bag from a previous flight isn't particularly helpful.

The size she's quoted does come right off the website: Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches.

Cynthiagayle01, you can find many choices on eBags that will fit within their guideline. If you want, pick something out, link to it here and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions!

Does this bag stand up on its own? I see there's a bumper on the bottom, which is encouraging. That's one thing I hate about rolling duffels - they tend to fall over in the upright position. This one looks pretty darned good, though!

Yes, it stands up on it's own. I've never had it tip. It also rolls very well and doesn't get the side-to-side wobbles like some of the rollers - even when the little one is pulling it.

We don't take much as a carry on with Southwest since each passenger gets two free checked bags. We take three or four large suitcases for three of us and fill them to about 80% to allow for purchases on the return trip.

Also, SW overhead space is not at a premium like on other airlines because of the free checked bags.

We usually fly on buddy passes with Southwest. I've been able to get one of larger pieces of luggage on as a carry on. I believe the dimensions were near the 10x16x24. Normally, I carry one of my mid-size pieces and a back pack that can fit under the seat in front of me.

This is back to the weather for the OP. We went last year in Dec & it was HOT. We were laying by the pool & it was 80 degrees outside. Watch the weather reports before you leave. We have worn shorts, tees & capris on both of our December trips. :goodvibes

This is the bag that I use.
41feaBQRk8L_SL500_1.jpg

It is a kathy van zeeland 360 wheel bag. Just got it in San Diego last week and it fit in the overhead compartment very easily. I was actually surprised it was sooooo easy because it is actually 28 inches instead of 24. So :confused3. I :lovestruc this bag

I only carry a backpack and a purse. As others mentioned, 2 checked bags are free. I really don't want to be carting luggage all over the airport and want to make getting thru security as easy as possible so I only bring a backpack. That way, I just wear it on my back when boarding the plane and don't have to worry about hitting any passengers as I board.

Since this is the first time flying, review the TSA website for what can be in the carryon. There are now strict regulations as far as liquid goes.

Have fun!

No photos available. But I use either

Samsonite rolling duffel approx. 10" x 10" x 18" (expands to 20"). As a PP noted, it can be a bit annoying, as it does not stand up by itself. I've learned how to prop it up and do it automatically now! *LOL*

OR

Travel Pro wheeled tote (14" W x 16"H x 8"D). Love this, as it hold my laptop securely, but if I'm traveling to WDW in December, I usually use the rolling duffel. I can fit my jacket and a couple of other winter items in it so I don't lose them before arriving at WDW! :rolleyes: This body is not geared to winter weather! *LOL*

Edited to add:

Personally, I would not use a carry-on wider than 14" unless it has 360-degree wheels so it could be wheeled sideways. Even 14" is pushing it, which is another reason I love my little rolling duffel. The 10" width rolls smoothly down those narrow aisles without bumping into the seats! :)

A big thank you to everyone who has responded. This is the luggage set I have Protocol Portsmouth II (5 piece set from Black Friday last year!)

I was going to check the largest upright. It says its a 25' upright pullman. it is upright: 15¾x8x24¼"H I'm thinking about using the duffel that comes with this set as my carryon. The dimensions of the duffel are 18 X 10 x 10 1/2"h. Is this too big? I know southwests carryon dimensions are 10X16X24. (Math was never my strong suit). The set also has a 20" carry-on pilot case. It is 13x7x20¼"H(but I really didnt want to have to put anything in an overhead compartment. I was hoping the duffel would stick under my seat.

I would post a picture but JCPenney won't let me save the photos to upload to photobucket. Any opinions would be very appreciated.:surfweb:

This is the bag that I use.
41feaBQRk8L_SL500_1.jpg

It is a kathy van zeeland 360 wheel bag. Just got it in San Diego last week and it fit in the overhead compartment very easily. I was actually surprised it was sooooo easy because it is actually 28 inches instead of 24. So :confused3. I :lovestruc this bag

28" is way too big. You were lucky you got it past the gate agent.

Did it fit wheels in? I travel alot on business and carryons are a big problem. Frequently people have to gate check. It's not fair to those who have bags within regulation who have to gate check when others who got in first put bags too big in the overhead sideways and takeup at least double space.

28" is way too big. You were lucky you got it past the gate agent.

Did it fit wheels in? I travel alot on business and carryons are a big problem. Frequently people have to gate check. It's not fair to those who have bags within regulation who have to gate check when others who got in first put bags too big in the overhead sideways and takeup at least double space.

It's possible her case is 24" plus another 4 for wheels and handle? I was just reading that SW only counts the actual body of the luggage and not the pieces protruding off of it.

I'm going to use a small rolling piece in the bins for the first time and was surprised to find it's only 20" x 8 x 16 ... but the next larger piece I have is too long by 2 inches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter