Southwest check-in & boarding passes

Ok, I have a few questions about Southwest check-in & boarding passes. I have been on Southwest before but not with children.

Can I check-in 24hrs. before with children? Do they need to be age-verified before to do so? I thought you just needed to bring a birth certificate at the time of your flight.

Also, how does family boarding work? The children's ages will be 9,7,4, & 1. The one year old will be without a seat. I booked the whole family together so it will be 9 people total. Will we all be able to board before the B's?

One more question, the only thing you need for proof of age for children is a birth certificate, it can be a copy?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure we have everything ready! We leave for Disney on Tuesday! Thanks for the help!

I think a lot of your questions can be answered here and by following some the links: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/family/children-pol.html

Yes, you can check in online 24 hours before the flight. Assuming the 1 year-old is going to be a lap child, then you don't have to worry about getting age verified before you can check-in. Just bring a birth certificate (I think it can be a copy) to the airport. But, if you used a special "infant fare" - then that is a different story.

Technically, the 1 year old and 4 year old qualify for family boarding - and two adults could board with them. I don't think that the gate agent would let all 9 of you do family boarding.

Thanks for the info! From what I am understanding, I should be able to check-in 24 hours before because the one year old will not need a boarding pass. If they do have family boarding, the little ones could go with an adult & the others can wait till our number is called. Would that be right?

Now, we do have two people using the Senior Fares. Does that change anything or can we still check-in 24 hours before?

Thanks again!

When you book using reward points, you will each get a different confirmation #. I'd do what the pp said and just have your daughter use your boarding pass and you can go on alone a few minutes later with the B group.

I think family boarding is supposed to be for really little kids (like 3 and younger)...not sure about that.

This is correct. I am a Flight Attendant for SW, just have DH board, head to the back,and find a row to save.

Thanks for the info! From what I am understanding, I should be able to check-in 24 hours before because the one year old will not need a boarding pass. If they do have family boarding, the little ones could go with an adult & the others can wait till our number is called. Would that be right?

Now, we do have two people using the Senior Fares. Does that change anything or can we still check-in 24 hours before?

Thanks again!

Yes, you have it right about boarding.

Regarding Senior Fares, the SW website indicates that persons using a Senior Fare must get age verified prior to checking-in. So, you may not be able check them in online unless they are already age verified which you could actually do by mail. I'd suggest calling the airline or check this out: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=age_verified

Thanks again!

The one year old doesn't need a boarding pass but they do need a document to clear security. You get this at the airport where you check your bags and you must provide a birth certificate to prove the child is eligible to fly without a ticket. If possible I would book one parent and the baby separately from the others as some people have reported not being able to check in at T24 with a lap child.

I would also book the senior fares separately (assuming the senior fares are less $ than the online fares) as they will also have to prove eligibility for the senior fare at the airport and will likely not be able to check in online.

SWA website has a great section on boarding that you may also find helpful and their customer service IMHO is also great so in your situation you may want to give them a call.

If you have already booked as a group you can also call and have your reservation separated so everyone who is eligible for online check in can do so on one of the confirmation numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter