SouthWest Carry On Question

Shell76

Mouseketeer
Does SW consider medium size sling bags or backpacks a "personal" item? Do you think we could carry one of these and a tote bag as a carry on? Anyone have any experience with this? TIA.

I've taken a backpack and a tote bag on Southwest from Baltimore to Orlando and vice versa with no problems. The backpack goes under the seat in front of me and the tote bag overhead. :)

When the overhead bins fill up the GA will make you "gate check" one of your bags. Only happens if the flight is full and you're one of later groups to board. Just make sure you have your stuff divided up so you're not checking items (medicine, cameras) that should be in your carry on.

I flew SW this weekend to MCO, from Tampa. They were VERY picky on carryons. I had a small suitcase and a small sling bag (w/ a dvd player) and my small wallet size purse on a strap. They told me one of them had to be checked or I had to put one inside another. On the way back I had a tote bag, my purse and 'to go' food as we were going to be flying over 8 hours with stops & changes and no time to eat. I was told the purse or the food had to go. Fortunately I stuffed the purse in the food bag and they accepted it. These flights were not overly full. So, if you carry a purse, you can have 1 other 'thing' regardless of size. DD had a small backpack purse, a book and her CD case and although they would all fit at least a couple of times over under a seat, they told here she couldn't have 3 things. The book hanging 2/3 the way out of the purse was fine, tho. Go figure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter