• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest cancelled our flight with less than 12 hours. 😡

Yep, happened to me a few weeks ago. The only other option to rebook left at 6 am and took 9 hours. Canceled and paid out of pocket for Delta.

I’m currently 4 hours into a phone call after Southwest cancelled our 11:25am flight at 11:15pm. I was just closing my eyes after getting everything packed when I got a text. Immediately got online to see if I could rebook. Nothing. We have 5 different reservations (6 people). Ours is the only flight out of Baltimore cancelled.

So we are currently on the road. 15 hour road trip in two cars. We tried every airport in Florida and all DC airports. I’m so sad.
4 hours and still on hold. Do we have any recourse? Most of us were on points. We will get those back right? Do I have yo stay on this phone to get this fixed. What about our early bird 😡😡

App doesn’t even work anymore. Don’t know what is up.

Please pray we get there safe. 😢😢
I'm so sorry. My sister and moms SW flight got canceled coming back from Disney this past Aug. with like a 9 hr notice. It was nuts, not sure what the issue was. I'd be pretty confident they will automatically refund you. If it were me, I'd hang up and wait a few weeks hoping it goes automatically and if not call back...well maybe just send an email now or then. I wouldn't want to be sitting on hold for hrs on end. Really I feel like they owe more than just a refund, but in reality I'm sure they legally don't. Good luck.

Had this happen to us in March going to FLL. Getting to bring dogs to sitter and then go to airport, flight delayed, then cancelled. On phone for 4 hours and we just drove to airport (which is only 10 minutes from home) and was able to re-route to PBI. I had to call to get our early bird refunded.

I hate that you and so many others are dealing with this. What a cluster! Hopefully you arrive safely and can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

We had a short delay from StL last March '21, as did another person travelling meeting us at MCO, travelling out of Louisville. Since then, listening to all the issues SWA has been having, plus their prices being higher than some other airlines (which is a first in my experience) and available direct flights being fewer than before, we opted to schedule our Disney trip with Delta instead. It gives me peace of mind that Delta has partner airlines to rebook us with if our flight is cancelled. With SWA, if they cancel you, their only option is to rebook on another SWA flight. Too much risk for me, given no real savings (usually my driving factor).

I certainly hope that SWA is able to get everything back on track soon. The more instances of these avoidable disruptions occurring, the fewer customers will be choosing to fly with them. We've been loyal SWA passengers for years, but if Delta treats us right, I can see us not going back to SWA.

Southwest cancelled our 7am flight from Philly to Orlando as we were walking to the gate about 5 weeks ago. Found another flight 12 hours later out of DC. Currently using up the rest of our points and vouchers. Other airlines also having issues, but moving on from Southwest at this point. They also stopped all nonstops from PHL to MCO on every day but Saturday. Crazy

If you had trip insurance, you're great. Assuming you don't: points don't expire and you'll get them back (in my experience). Flights paid with regular money might just be given as credit for future use, though you could try contesting with credit card. Early bird should be refunded. If you use Twitter, for some reason it seems to be the best way to get a response. I'm sorry this happened but I really hope the trip can be salvaged! Prayers sent.
Fyi some credit cards may offer travel insurance automatically. Our Marriott one does. Received an email about it recently. Also includes insurance for rental cars.

Southwest cancelled our 7am flight from Philly to Orlando as we were walking to the gate about 5 weeks ago. Found another flight 12 hours later out of DC. Currently using up the rest of our points and vouchers. Other airlines also having issues, but moving on from Southwest at this point. They also stopped all nonstops from PHL to MCO on every day but Saturday. Crazy
Always used Southwest from Philly to Orlando but just checked for October and not only are the prices crazy but there are no more nonstops.
Always used my Southwest Chase card for the miles but no more - moving all spending to a Venture card for cash back.

Not loving the way Southwest is changing - who's running that airline (does Chapek have a brother ?)

Always used Southwest from Philly to Orlando but just checked for October and not only are the prices crazy but there are no more nonstops.
Always used my Southwest Chase card for the miles but no more - moving all spending to a Venture card for cash back.

Not loving the way Southwest is changing - who's running that airline (does Chapek have a brother ?)
I had this exact same thought when reading the comments in this thread. There used to be several non-stop daily flights between Louisville, KY and St Louis, MO, now there are none, I believe (haven't flown it in years). None of the changes I've heard of have been advantageous to the travelers.

Who is making these decisions??

If you had trip insurance, you're great. Assuming you don't: points don't expire and you'll get them back (in my experience). Flights paid with regular money might just be given as credit for future use, though you could try contesting with credit card. Early bird should be refunded. If you use Twitter, for some reason it seems to be the best way to get a response. I'm sorry this happened but I really hope the trip can be salvaged! Prayers sent.
This is completely incorrect. Whether you had trip insurance or not, a carrier cancelling the flight is grounds for a full refund to the original form of payment. This is a DOT regulation and has nothing to do with the carrier. Do not accept a TravelFund for a cancelled flight unless the flight itself was paid for with a TravelFund. Early bird can be refunded but does not have to be. As a non-refundable add on there is no requirement for the carrier to give it back, usually the will, but know they don't have to.

This is completely incorrect. Whether you had trip insurance or not, a carrier cancelling the flight is grounds for a full refund to the original form of payment. This is a DOT regulation and has nothing to do with the carrier. Do not accept a TravelFund for a cancelled flight unless the flight itself was paid for with a TravelFund. Early bird can be refunded but does not have to be. As a non-refundable add on there is no requirement for the carrier to give it back, usually the will, but know they don't have to.
Travel insurance might reimburse you for nonrefundable extras, assuming your carrier isn't being nice. Trip delay might pay an allowance toward qualifying expenses if you take a later flight.

Biggest potential issue. Some people book one way tickets, sometimes with different carriers. Cancelling a trip because of issues with your outbound transportation doesn't necessarily qualify you for a refund for your return flight. You may have to settle for a voucher or a travel insurance claim

Biggest potential issue. Some people book one way tickets, sometimes with different carriers. Cancelling a trip because of issues with your outbound transportation doesn't necessarily qualify you for a refund for your return flight. You may have to settle for a voucher or a travel insurance claim
It would be a long slog to get a travel insurance claim on two one ways. You would have initiate a claim, wait until the Travel Fund expires and then have the claim processed.

It would be a long slog to get a travel insurance claim on two one ways. You would have initiate a claim, wait until the Travel Fund expires and then have the claim processed.
You'd have to submit the claim. You would probably be told to follow up if the credit expired unused. Don't some of the ULCC issue short-term credits.

My point was more rules requiring refund in the form of original payment doesn't apply to the one way return if the return flight flies.as scheduled. Round-trip ticket you can cancel return if outgoing flight qualifies for cancelation
Some carriers may work with, others might not.

Our Jet Blue flight leaving this morning (Sunday) at 7:45 was canceled just after midnight. I discovered it when I woke up and happened to glance at my emails. The soonest I could rebook was the same flight on TUESDAY. It kills me to waste two days of our one-week timeshare trade. And I’ve already rescheduled this trip twice. If they cancel us again Tuesday there won’t be much point in going at all, so I’m praying nothing else goes wrong.

I will be looking into different airlines for next trip. Got a text Friday morning 2:48am our 6:15am flight was cancelled Trip with 14 people managed to rebook for to Ft Myers leave around 1:15. Reserved a big van to drive to WDW. First the flight was delayed 40 minutes. Sat on tarmac for 2 hours 45 minutes. The line for rental was unbelievable. We pulled into Wilderness at 11:58pm. Now looks like our flight home tonight is going to be cancelled also. Not the first time we’ve had problems in the last 6 months

Same thing happened to us on American a few weeks ago. Our flight was canceled as we were packing to leave. We couldn’t get another flight home for two days. We had to scramble to find a hotel (no room at BW where we were staying).

Our original flight was nonstop. Our new flight had a layover in Miami. So frustrating.

Really I feel like they owe more than just a refund, but in reality I'm sure they legally don't. Good luck.
Legally they only owe you a refund for the flight you booked. Realistically you might be able to contact them and swing some vouchers for future travel in addition to the refund by expressing your anger/disappointment/what you had to do instead. My preferred method for that is direct message on Twitter because you can write it down and go about your life. Idk if Southwest does Twitter DM though as I don’t really fly them.

Last edited:
We had several issues with SW last summer/fall. They resolved them somewhat, at least to the best of their abilities, although the changes DID have an effect on our travel plans. I contacted customer service very politely, not out and out asking for anything, but both times they sent LUV vouchers to make up for our inconvenience. This was in addition to the automatically-issued vouchers for lost luggage... twice...

back on 3/11 they cancelled mine while I was sitting in the airport. I was able to rebook on a new flight but with a stop in Ft. Myers. I'll be rebooking if they do that again

Last edited:
I feel like I'm hearing about a lot of technical issues with companies, lately, and idk about anyone else but I'm seeing a lot of weird stuff coming up in my Google searches. POTUS recently warned about hacking intensifying with the Russia/Ukraine situation and I find myself wondering if it's related.
This is EXACTLY what I think it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter