Southwest booted me off my flight!

Why not look as see if that flight is still available. If so I would try switching back to that flight and see what happens.

I beg to differ. But I don't want to turn this thread into a three (you, k...r, and g...k) against one (me 'sans' flame suit) cat fight.

To the OP: Now you can enjoy two more hours of park time at the expense of keeping your friend waiting, and (tell her in advance, like today) blame it on the airline.
It appears you haven't actually read Southwest's Contract of Carriage. Section 9.b.(2)(i) - Service Interruptions - covers denied boarding http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf. There's absolutely no reference to how far in advance the airline is allowed to notify passengers of oversold flights.

Really, it's simple common sense to inform passengers as far in advance as possible.

I've never flown SWA and only a few times on AT. It looks like that airline is on my NEVER FLY list. This willy-nilly, maybe schedule is not acceptable. Doesn't sound much different, than rolling the dice with Priceline.pirate:

I've had flights change or disappear, but the airline worked to accommodate MY wants and needs....every time.

I've never flown SWA and only a few times on AT. It looks like that airline is on my NEVER FLY list. This willy-nilly, maybe schedule is not acceptable. Doesn't sound much different, than rolling the dice with Priceline.pirate:

I've had flights change or disappear, but the airline worked to accommodate MY wants and needs....every time

But in this case there are absolutely no seats available on that flight. What else could they possibly do?

Flights are oversold on all airlines all of the time. Unfortunately though you usually don't find out until you get to the airport. Personally I would rather find out a month in advance instead of an hour before the flight.

I beg to differ. But I don't want to turn this thread into a three (you, k...r, and g...k) against one (me 'sans' flame suit) cat fight.

You can "beg to differ" all you want, but since this in fact a factual issue (with the relevant fact quoted in a post), you'd be wrong. If this were a matter of opinion, that would be one thing - but it isn't.

Heck, you appear to "beg to differ" with yourself (since you contradicted yourself in the post I quoted).

But in this case there are absolutely no seats available on that flight. What else could they possibly do?

Flights are oversold on all airlines all of the time. Unfortunately though you usually don't find out until you get to the airport. Personally I would rather find out a month in advance instead of an hour before the flight.

I average 4-6 RT a year **crosses fingers**....and it has never happened to me. I reserve my seats when I book my reservation. Maybe, that's the difference?

I average 4-6 RT a year **crosses fingers**....and it has never happened to me. I reserve my seats when I book my reservation. Maybe, that's the difference?

No. Having assigned seats doesn't prevent you from being bumped.

What's the point of this thread? Airlines overbook, people get bumped. It happens every day; what's the big deal?

Will us air have a later flight that arrive closest to your new time? If so maybe they can take a later flight deal. Just a thought.

1.5 hours is not a terrible amount of time to wait. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Have you talked to your friend? I bet they won't mind. Have an awesome trip!

We received our credits from Southwest in mail in the amount of time they said. (not from a cancelled flight but he horrid way they handled it) (another story all together lol) Enjoy those credits!

What's the point of this thread? Airlines overbook, people get bumped. It happens every day; what's the big deal?
The point of my post was to let others know that there are some glitches with the new booking system that includes AirTran flights.

Will us air have a later flight that arrive closest to your new time? If so maybe they can take a later flight deal. Just a thought.
If BFF changes her flight, she'll have to pay a change fee.

We're both independent travelers so its not a huge deal, just sucks for her to have to wait. And I'm not excited about driving at 11:30 at night, but what are you gonna do. I was surprised they wouldn't move along to ask other travelers first before forcing me into changing, but I am glad they let me know this far in advance rather than at the airport.

Yeah, a change can affect numerous schedules, not just mine. So, it's a big deal to me. I'm not booking a flight, just hoping to arrive the same day.

Again, all your ticket assures is passage between point A and point B on the scheduled date (with Force Majeur exceptions). Stuff happens. You might want to read your intended airline's Contract of Carriage every time before you buy airfare.

Again, all your ticket assures is passage between point A and point B on the scheduled date (with Force Majeur exceptions). Stuff happens. You might want to read your intended airline's Contract of Carriage every time before you buy airfare.

I understand, but I've NEVER had an airline, force me to eat THEIR mistake. This isn't a schedule change or flight cancellation.

I was surprised they wouldn't move along to ask other travelers first before forcing me into changing, but I am glad they let me know this far in advance rather than at the airport.
Why would they move along to other travelers? I would think the fact you're flying on points would move you to the top of the list for "involuntary" bumping. Why bump a paying passenger? :confused3

This is a free flight for you (points only), you're still getting the flight AND $200 credit to a future flight, right? I understand being slightly upset, but I'd rather find out a month ahead of time than at the airport.

And yes, a 90 minute wait for your friend isn't the best, but not terrible.

I understand, but I've NEVER had an airline, force me to eat THEIR mistake. This isn't a schedule change or flight cancellation.
So you want them to force someone else to eat their mistake? I just don't get what you (reasonably) expect the airline to do.

DOT requires that the airline provide a written statement describing the rights of the bumped passenger which includes an explanation for how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight.

This is a protection guaranteed by the federal government that supersedes any contract the traveler enters with an airline.

Based on the information provided in this thread, it appears Southwest did not meet the federal requirement. I would advise the OP to call back and insist on either being placed back on their originally booked flight or the full cash penalty to which they are entitled.

So you want them to force someone else to eat their mistake? I just don't get what you (reasonably) expect the airline to do.

For me it's not about forcing someone to eat the mistake. My issue is that it appears DOT regulations for denied boarding compensation were not followed. The original booked flight still exists, and Southwest apparently did not meet the federal regulations in denying boarding.

Paging Tom Morrow said:
For me it's not about forcing someone to eat the mistake. My issue is that it appears DOT regulations for denied boarding compensation were not followed. The original booked flight still exists, and Southwest apparently did not meet the federal regulations in denying boarding.

We don't know that yet. Neither does the OP. The flight isn't for a month and a half or so. The written explanation can easily come in the mail, possibly with the voucher.

There's no denied boarding here, for that matter. Can't be. We're talking about an April flight.

Why would they move along to other travelers? I would think the fact you're flying on points would move you to the top of the list for "involuntary" bumping. Why bump a paying passenger? :confused3

This is a free flight for you (points only), you're still getting the flight AND $200 credit to a future flight, right? I understand being slightly upset, but I'd rather find out a month ahead of time than at the airport.

And yes, a 90 minute wait for your friend isn't the best, but not terrible.

I suggested they ask someone else, as they weren't offering a convenient option for me. Plenty of people would be very happy with the offer, why not ask? Normally I would be jumping for joy, but since BFF is the one who is mostly affected by having to sit around and wait, I would have preferred not to switch.

I normally find southwest to be very customer friendly, this was just a surprise that they weren't willing to attempt to keep me on the flight when I said I didn't want to switch and explained the reason for not wanting to switch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter