Southwest Boarding Question

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
Just checked in for Southwest - husband and three kids are A group and I am B1 (I will have an infant with me). Also, my older son is disabled but uses a stroller as a wheelchair (He is 3 and can stand for short times, but needs someone to hold his hand will need an adult holding his hand and supporting him while we collapse the stroller and walk in). I wasn't planning on boarding with the disability group first because we can handle it ourselves (and I don't want to have to wait to get off of the plane) but we all need to be together because we need two adults. I am thinking we will be OK to board together at the end of the A group, or I can just stand behind the A group and catch up to them. Think there will be any problem with me going right at the end of the A group before they call B or family boarding? can you tel how stressed I am about traveling with four kids, including an infant and disabled child? :-) Thanks!

You won't have any issues. Family boarding is after the A group and the attendants will just let you board with the rest of your family.
My wife and daughter had a flight a few weeks ago where she was A60 and daughter was B1. They were able to board together before family.

Flying SW to Disney. Whenever I've flown SW I printed boarding pass 24 hours in advance. Will I be able to print out a boarding pass at the resort for my return flight, or does Disney do that for you?

Flying SW to Disney. Whenever I've flown SW I printed boarding pass 24 hours in advance. Will I be able to print out a boarding pass at the resort for my return flight, or does Disney do that for you?
Sometimes you will get your BPs printed in advance; it seems to depend on whether or not you used DME on the way in and the time of our outbound flights. If you don't have EBCI and need to actually check in 24 hours in advance, I would make arrangements to do that yourself and not rely on the possibility that Disney will do it. You can use a smart phone, tablet or computer, or they will do it for you at the front desk of the resort or at guest relations in the parks. It's the checking-in part that's important as that's when you get your boarding numbers. If you're using RAC they will print your BPs for you too. You can print out your BPs at any time--even at the airport--and will have the same numbers as long as you were checked in earlier.

We did sign up for the DME. I have given Disney our flight schedules. Thought I would use our smart phone to check in but wasn't sure about how to print the boarding pass. I'll probably just go to the front desk or see if they have computers so I cab check in myself 24 hours in advance. Thanks for the info.

You can stop by the front desk or Bell Services and have them check you in and print your passes.

On our last trip, I checked in online 24 hours out then stopped the next morning to have them printed.

Not sure if SW takes electronic passes (like a screen grab) but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

You can get the SW app on your phone, and check in at 24 mark, with option to text yourself the boarding pass. You can then use that, no need to print. We did this while in the parks. Then you can save the scan code to your photos, so you don't need to worry about wifi or data to pull it up at the airport just in case. As mentioned by PP, if you are checking luggage in for DME, then you will get a print out there as well to take to airport, so you may not need the code, but you will have it.

Just checked in for Southwest - husband and three kids are A group and I am B1 (I will have an infant with me). Also, my older son is disabled but uses a stroller as a wheelchair (He is 3 and can stand for short times, but needs someone to hold his hand will need an adult holding his hand and supporting him while we collapse the stroller and walk in). I wasn't planning on boarding with the disability group first because we can handle it ourselves (and I don't want to have to wait to get off of the plane) but we all need to be together because we need two adults. I am thinking we will be OK to board together at the end of the A group, or I can just stand behind the A group and catch up to them. Think there will be any problem with me going right at the end of the A group before they call B or family boarding? can you tel how stressed I am about traveling with four kids, including an infant and disabled child? :-) Thanks!
What makes you think if you preboard (board with the disability group) that you MUST wait to deplane??? You can get off of the plane whenever you want.

We did sign up for the DME. I have given Disney our flight schedules. Thought I would use our smart phone to check in but wasn't sure about how to print the boarding pass. I'll probably just go to the front desk or see if they have computers so I cab check in myself 24 hours in advance. Thanks for the info.

The front desk does not have computers you can use to check yourself in. But they will use their computers to check you in as a service.

What makes you think if you preboard (board with the disability group) that you MUST wait to deplane??? You can get off of the plane whenever you want.
Because some people have reported seeing those that preboarded being told they have to wait to deplane. Basically, if you have a medical condition that has you needing to preboard due to it taking you more time to get on and settled, it would stand to reason that the reverse would be true...you need time to make your way off the plane, and you wouldn't want to be holding others up. This is an issue...there seem to be people that have no problem saying they need extra help boarding the plane, so as to get on and get front of the plane seating. But, when it's time to get off the plane? Miracle of miracles....they are healed and can move about as quickly as everyone that boarded after them!!!

Because some people have reported seeing those that preboarded being told they have to wait to deplane. Basically, if you have a medical condition that has you needing to preboard due to it taking you more time to get on and settled, it would stand to reason that the reverse would be true...you need time to make your way off the plane, and you wouldn't want to be holding others up. This is an issue...there seem to be people that have no problem saying they need extra help boarding the plane, so as to get on and get front of the plane seating. But, when it's time to get off the plane? Miracle of miracles....they are healed and can move about as quickly as everyone that boarded after them!!!
Well actually that is not right to pigeon hole EVERY single preboarder into the same category. I agree that if you need a WC to board then you need a WC to get off. I travel with an ECV. They almost always take me very first, because they want as much time as possible to prep and stow my equipment. But when we land, I NEED TO GET UP!! I am in pain!! I need to change positions ASAP. However, once I deplane, I get to wait outside the plane...wait for my equipment to be brought to me. I DON'T run off! But I am not going to continue to sit there in pain because someone else feels I shouldn't get up. That's just too bad. I'm entitled to get off just like everyone else.
I have a close family member that has to preboard because they have to be assured that they have to have a companion in the event of an emergency (yes, this is a Disability and that is the point of preboarding). There is no reason when the plane lands that they cannot deplane just like everyone else. A disability doesn't necessarily mean you have to wait to deplane...unless you are waiting for a WC and cannot stand while waiting.
People who need to preboard so they can wipe things down due to allergies are another group that would not have any reason to wait to deplane. They need to preboard so they have extra time to clean the area to attempt to prevent an issue, but this would not affect deplaning in any way.

Last edited:
I don't understand this. How does preboarding help with this disability?
Well most importantly, in the event of an emergency they would not be able to get off of the plane without assistance. Fairly simple and quick assistance but assistance nonetheless. They also could not use the restroom or do other things REQUIRED by the airline without the assistance of the companion. The situation has directly been discussed with SW and SW said to preboard, it would not be appropriate to potentially have to rely on the kindness of a stranger. The exact details of the disability are no one else's business.
SW also stated that EBCI would NOT guarantee seating together, therefore SW stated that they should preboard. The likelihood of seating together was great but the only way to guarantee it in their case was preboard. Don't agree with the decision, take it up with SW.

I have a close family member that has to preboard because they have to be assured that they have to have a companion in the event of an emergency (yes, this is a Disability and that is the point of preboarding).

I think you missed part of the sentence.

"They have to be assured that they have to have a companion" doesn't make much sense.

I can fill in blanks and think you're saying that the friend has a disability that requires a companion next to him and therefore they have to pre board so that the companion is right there? The pre boarding itself isn't what helps, but making sure the companion is there is why they prepared?

That would make sense, but it's not actually what you said, and I could have made a wrong leap.

In my brain it's not the situation being questioned but what you actually wrote that's causing confusion. :)

I think you missed part of the sentence.

"They have to be assured that they have to have a companion" doesn't make much sense.

I can fill in blanks and think you're saying that the friend has a disability that requires a companion next to him and therefore they have to pre board so that the companion is right there? The pre boarding itself isn't what helps, but making sure the companion is there is why they prepared?

That would make sense, but it's not actually what you said, and I could have made a wrong leap.

In my brain it's not the situation being questioned but what you actually wrote that's causing confusion. :)

Fair enough. :) But upon discussing the situation with SW, their solution to make sure the disability is accomodated is to preboard. I'm sure it would not be in their best interest to be at the end of boarding either.

Fair enough. :) But upon discussing the situation with SW, their solution to make sure the disability is accomodated is to preboard. I'm sure it would not be in their best interest to be at the end of boarding either.
I also couldn't quite wrap my head around your earlier statement which is why I asked the question. I wasn't doubting what SW told them or whether they were gaming the system. If you statement would have said "they must have a companion/helper sitting next to them in case of an emergency", I would have caught on.

YOu can check in on your smart phone at 24 hours, and wait to print your boarding pass at the airport kiosk. Or you can download the southwest app and just show them your smart phone which they will scan the code right as you get on the plane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter