• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest boarding pass distribution ?

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
Ok - I am an experienced flyer but flying SWA for the first time in October with my dd's 8 and 10. They are both prepared to sit alone if need be and can both handle it as they have flown (too much) quite a bit in their young lives.

But - I would rather sit together and plan to do everything I can to get the A pass. With the new 24 hours in advance rule it seems almost too easy to get an A pass online. Do they reserve said number of A passes for online, and then said number for early arrival and can you tell before you check in on line if you will get an A pass?

We have plenty of time on departure day and could arrive to the airport vs checking in online if that would give us just a good a chance (or better) of getting an A pass. So if I start the process at 6:24 on tuesday can I tell before I complete the process if I will get an A pass? If its going to be a B then can I cancel out and get to the airport early to try again for an A?

Wow that was long - thanks for sticking with me -

TJ

The way I understand is X number of A Boarding passes whether online or in person.

I've flown SW with my family at least 6 times (4)kids and have never had to sit apart (though at times I might have wished)

I would try to checkin on line as close to your 24hr window as possible then see what you get.

The first 36 (or whatever the magic number is) are A passes...if they are all used by on line then no matter how early you get to the airport you will get B's (or C's as the case may be)....they do not allocate any special passes for on site check in.

I suspect now that SW is allowing check in 24 hours in advance more people will do on line check in...but in August one of the gate agents told me that they still have less than 15% of their check ins done on line. (that is less than 15% done on line from outside of the airport...that did not include the in airport kiosks)...he said they had predicted a much greater percentage than they actually had.....guess he knew what he was talking about.

I have always gotten A passes when checking in on line....even when I did it in the AM (instead of waiting up until after midnight).

Another thing to remember, if you purchased Children's fares you won't be able to check in online. That one bit us one trip.

katgarbars said:
Another thing to remember, if you purchased Children's fares you won't be able to check in online. That one bit us one trip.

Nope - all three of us have "fun fares"! and we plan to have fun. I will note that for the future though as online check in would likely not be worth any price difference to me.

TJ

I think it is actually after 12:00am on the day of your flight. My husband has taken several early morning SW flights and has had to wait to do on-line check in until after he gets up in the morning (or wait until after midnight). We has never had a problem getting in either group A or B.

asreitzel said:
I think it is actually after 12:00am on the day of your flight. My husband has taken several early morning SW flights and has had to wait to do on-line check in until after he gets up in the morning (or wait until after midnight). We has never had a problem getting in either group A or B.

It used to be 12:01am, BUT, from Southwest's website:

Great News! Now you can check in online and print your boarding pass beginning 24 hours prior to your scheduled flight! That means no more waking up at midnight to get your boarding pass!

That's great for the way down, but now check-in will open for my flight home while I'm busy at the parks! I'm glad I caught this news myself before Friday! (Well, Thursday, actually.)

Brett

i don't have a printer..can i check in online and wait to print my passes later in the 24hr period?Or does it all have to be done at once?

Before "9/11" Southwest boarding passes were plastic cards and were divided up between the main terminal ticket counter and the gate counter. So one of those locations might run out of "A" passes long before the other, with obvious consequences.

I am led to believe that the system is now tied together better, electronically. If you get a "B" pass on line, all of the "A" passes are gone as of that instant.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The on line check in was recently changed (or will change in a few days) to allow check ins 24 hours ahead of flight time as opposed to 12:01 AM of day of departure.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

That's my understanding with one exception. If a boarding pass gets canceled, usually because the passenger takes an earlier flight, that letter gets returned to "inventory" and a lucky passenger may get an "A" BP even though the passenger before and after that lucky passenger got a "C" BP.

seashoreCM said:
Before "9/11" Southwest boarding passes were plastic cards and were divided up between the main terminal ticket counter and the gate counter. So one of those locations might run out of "A" passes long before the other, with obvious consequences.

I am led to believe that the system is now tied together better, electronically. If you get a "B" pass on line, all of the "A" passes are gone as of that instant.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The on line check in was recently changed (or will change in a few days) to allow check ins 24 hours ahead of flight time as opposed to 12:01 AM of day of departure.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Here is what I am wondering:
What about for my return flight? Can I call someone at home to print out my boarding pass early to get an 'A' and show up at the airport without it and have it reprinted at the check-in counter? If I do get an 'A' and they need to reprint it at the airport, will it still be an 'A' ?
Or, better yet, is there a way to have someone at the POP print them out for us?

Just go to guest services at Pop and ask nicely...although they are not obligated in any way to print for you they will most likely be willing to help you out.

For those who asked: Yes you can checkin on line, and receive a boarding pass at the airport. So someone at home, or you on a laptop could checkin and "reserve" an A boarding pass. I have read there are 45 A passes, 45 B passes, etc. I have had excellent luck with getting boarding passes printed out by Disney Guest Relations/now called "Concierge."

On our last trip, DH and I were able to score Exit Row seats both directions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter