• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Airlines: Changing to the new price??

Trixiezzz

Budgeting my way to Disney!
Ok, I haven't flown in several years and am not sure exactly how SW Airlines works anymore.

We are going to be using our Rapids Rewards points to book 4 flights for this summer. The dates I want are open now.

I"m planning on booking as 2 one-way flights for each of us, in case the price goes down.

My question is: If the price does go down, how do I go about making the switch? Are there any fees at all??

Thanks for your help!!!

no fees if you change and points go right back into account. I have changed mine and my sons for next month a couple times because prices went down. Points were immediately credited back to our account and no fees.

no fees if you change and points go right back into account. I have changed mine and my sons for next month a couple times because prices went down. Points were immediately credited back to our account and no fees.

Yup, saw that our return trip in June went down by 900 points each. For some reason I kept getting an error when trying to change online so I called the 1800 number and they took care of it. The 3600 points are back in our acct and our flights are the same. Woohoo :)

If point expire within a year, except with account activity.....WHAT makes account activity besides flying again. We have the SW Visa.

If point expire within a year, except with account activity.....WHAT makes account activity besides flying again. We have the SW Visa.

Upon enrollment, Members' accounts are active for 24 months. Members' accounts will remain active as long as the Member earns points at least once every 24 months. The Member's account expiration date will be extended 24 months from the date of the last earned Point. Points earned from flying Southwest flights and points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners will extend the account activity date. If a Member fails to earn a point in 24 months, the Member's account will become inactive and all points and Promotional Awards will be forfeited.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ic=rapid_rewards_program_terms_and_conditions

When you log into to your rapids reward account. It'll give you a few options when you click on scheduled flights. One will say change you flight. If you see a price drop, click on change flight and select the flight again (with the cheaper points).

Your flight will not change until you go through to the end and click on confirm change. So it's not like you have to cancel and cross your fingers the flight doesn't sell out in the next few minutes.

Even if you book round trip, you have to select the flight segment you want to change. So there's no issues if you book round trip. Some coupons only allow for use when booking round trip.

Prices change all the time. I don't know why, like with AirTran, the prices were fairly consistent, along with the flight schedule. I always wound up paying the same price with the same flight time for about 5 flights, except when I had a coupon or discount code for it. My most recent flight (on Southwest) I kept my eye out for weeks before booking it, still wound up changing it once. But the flight I wound up getting for $99 had highs of $350, and I booked it about 10 days prior to leaving. So keep an eye on it, even with a week left to go. Although prices jump once you're within 7 days.

Southwest is a non-union, and I think, still mostly private company. They still provide good customer service on the phone or at the airport.

Ok, I haven't flown in several years and am not sure exactly how SW Airlines works anymore.

We are going to be using our Rapids Rewards points to book 4 flights for this summer. The dates I want are open now.

I"m planning on booking as 2 one-way flights for each of us, in case the price goes down.

My question is: If the price does go down, how do I go about making the switch? Are there any fees at all??

Thanks for your help!!!

Bold - Is not necessary. You get to pick which leg of the flight you wan to change.

Question - From the home window put your mouse over the "air" square near the top. A menu will appear. Near the bottom on the left is "change reservation" Click it. It will then ask for the confirmation number and persons name. Next it will bring up the flight. Click on the box you want to change. Then pick the new flight.

No fee to change the ticket. You can change it as many times as you want.

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I'm really excited about this policy from Southwest. It seems so much easier.

Two things that I've looked into this week:

1) Keeping "activity" going when not flying seems like it will be easy if it's true that shopping online through SW Rewards will count. I'll just buy through them a few times each year to keep my leftover points from expiring. I've found they have practically all the same merchants that I usually use Sunshine Rewards or Quick Rewards for. https://rapidrewardsshopping.southwest.com/shopping/b____alpha.htm#mn_mrchLstW

2) Coke Rewards is offering $20-off coupons for 100 points each but you have to book round trips -- which I wasn't going to do originally, but now you've shown me there's no reason not to -- so IF Coke Rewards keeps offering these for my dates, I can buy these now with my points. :drinking1 http://www.mycokerewards.com/rewards/southwest-airlines-20-discount-off-wanna-get-away-fares/15577?WT.z_flt1=keyword&WT.z_flt2=all&WT.z_flt3=all&WT.z_pclick=1&WT.z_flt4=all+Points&WT.z_ppartner=Southwest+Airlines&WT.z_promo=1_15577_7_na_c_u_na

This board is so great for getting information from people who know!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter