• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Southwest Airline Fees Lowered

mikkiblueeyes

Mouseketeer
Good Afternoon,

Years ago we bought tickets from Southwest to fly to Disney. I had read on here back then that if you buy tickets from Southwest and your airfare goes down before you fly there was a number you could call and they would credit you back the difference.

I got that number for Southwest from this board and called and they did credit the difference back to my card.

Does anyone remember that number please?

thank you

Good Afternoon,

Years ago we bought tickets from Southwest to fly to Disney. I had read on here back then that if you buy tickets from Southwest and your airfare goes down before you fly there was a number you could call and they would credit you back the difference.

I got that number for Southwest from this board and called and they did credit the difference back to my card.

thank you

I'm sorry I don't have the number but my understanding is that they now offer a voucher credit to put towards another flight booked within a year of when the credit was issued.

Hopefully someone will give you the info of how to contact them.

Just go to the SW website and you'll find the number under Contact Us. I think it's 800 I FLY SWA. If your flights are in a certain category (I think anything other than Wanna Get Away), you can get a refund back on your card for the difference. Otherwise, it's held for use on another flight. You have 2 years, I think, to use it. Be aware of a couple of things: if you want the refund and you go through the online system, be sure to click on 'refund to card' and not 'hold for future flight' or whatever it's called. The hold for future flight is the default. The other thing is that if the funds are being held for future flight, remember to keep your flight confirmation number (the original) because you need it to access those funds.

Just go to the SW website and you'll find the number under Contact Us. I think it's 800 I FLY SWA. If your flights are in a certain category (I think anything other than Wanna Get Away), you can get a refund back on your card for the difference. Otherwise, it's held for use on another flight. You have 2 years, I think, to use it. Be aware of a couple of things: if you want the refund and you go through the online system, be sure to click on 'refund to card' and not 'hold for future flight' or whatever it's called. The hold for future flight is the default. The other thing is that if the funds are being held for future flight, remember to keep your flight confirmation number (the original) because you need it to access those funds.

Thank you for the information.

Where would I go online to do this?

It's 1 year from the date of booking, not the flight date. You can do it online by logging into your reservation and then choosing change flight. Pick which flight you want to change and then rebook it. Any credit will be calculated and you use that reservation number to apply to a future credit. If you want to call its 1-800-I FLY SWA. If you paid with RR points, the points just go back into your account...no 1 year rule.

HTH

Jill in CO

Banked travel funds are good for *one* year from original booked flight. And that year is a hard deadline; meaning you cannot book, cancel, re-book further out, just to try and keep the credit going. (Because we would all just do that, right?) As posted above, always refer back to the original confirmation number, as that is where the funds are ‘stored’ for you. I have always called to get the funds credited back, just so I don’t screw anything up! Luv me some SWA! :love:

Thank you for the information.

Where would I go online to do this?

Pull up your reservation and look for the link to "Change" the reservation (it's under the button to Rename Trip). Select the flight(s) you want to change (those where the price dropped). Go through and make the change - which is really just re-selecting the exact same flight just at the lower price. Follow the prompts and you will have a credit for a future flight. Please note that you'll need the confirmation number to find the credit to use later. Whenever possible make the change online because once you call in and they touch your reservation, you'll lose your online access to make future changes and will have to call back if any future price drops/changes.

One note--if you have to cancel an entire flight & have a fairly large credit, and are not able to use it within a year, you can call & get it extended for $100--we just did this; I think it was extended 6 more months.

Keep in mind any money you have to add to the funds that SWA are holding for you, now take on the expiration date of the original funds.
For example say you have a $75 credit that is do to expire on Oct 16 and you book a flight that leaves on Sept 20 and cost $200. The difference you pay, ( $125) now has an expiration date of Oct 16, 2015. So keep that in mind when booking. When I am using a credit from SWA I book my tickets separately so that the money paid toward my return flight now has a new expiration date.

If you have a Wanna Get Away fare, the refund to card or hold for future flight options only apply to the taxes on the ticket. It is one year from the original purchase date.

If you have a Wanna Get Away fare, the refund to card or hold for future flight options only apply to the taxes on the ticket. It is one year from the original purchase date.

I think it has changed. Just last week I purchased a wanna get away ticket for $142 and canceled the ticket a few days later and asked for a refund. Well I just looked at my credit card and SWA refunded me the full $142. to my credit card !!! Fluke or new rule not sure.

Southwest Airlines
Customer Relations
1-855-234-4654

Here is the number you probably are looking for. Let us know what happens.
Good Afternoon,

thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter