Southwest Air & Pre-boarding for Handicapped

Angel16

<b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu
We are trying to find reasonable airfare for our Nov/Dec trip. It looks like Southwest is going to be the way to go. Due mostly to non-stop flights and good flight times. We do not like the fact that they do not assign seats but in today’s world, you have to take what you can get as far as flying.

My question is how do they handle passengers with health problems during their boarding procedure? I have flown Southwest in the past and they have ask for people needing pre-boarding. However, a handicapped friend has told me that they no longer do that. My DH had heart surgery earlier this year and has to use a cane due to an injury while in the military. I am going to have bi-lateral total knee surgery in August. I do not think either of us will be any shape to hurry onto the plane and fight to get seats together. I hope there is something in place with Southwest for people who need a little time and assistance.

The last couple times I flew them (earlier this year) they definitely preboarded. That said, I'm not sure that either of you have a condition that requires you to be seated next to each other, so if they aren't preboarding you'll have your regularly assigned letter and can board and find seats like everyone else--just take your time and don't allow anyone to rush you. You'll all get there at the same time anyhow...

As far as fighting for seats together, you board with your letter and find seats. There's no "fighting" involved. There are either seats together or there aren't. As long as you check in online in advance, and get "A" passes, even at the end of the "A" group there's no reason to believe that you'll not get seats together.

In all honesty, more than seats together I would think that having seats near the front of teh plane would be more important. For this preboarding would make sense, but because people might already be on the plane from an earlier flight that is makign a stop at your airport, the first half dozen rows might already be taken anyhow.

Anne

I flew SW out of PVD in May06. I too use a cane. I had an A boarding pass so I waited in the A boarding line. My knee was not that bad as it was very early in the AM and I had not walked much. I was just about to board the walkway when a SW agent told me in future to feel free to use the preboarding line. I did not hurry onto the plane I just walked at a normal pace I did sit in the first row--seat that would fit me and my DS. I was in maybe the 4-5th row. I did notice the first few rows were being SAVED for relatives. There was also a Reserved seat sign on the first row seat on the plane for someone who was in a wheelchair and needed the extra leg room.

I did use the preboarding for my flight home on Delta as my leg was very swollen and hurt very much. I just borrowed a wheelchair and sat myself by the boarding area and when it was time to board I got up and pushed my one carryon in the wheelchair to the plane entrance. I had my cane but I was much more comfortable with both hands on something than just the cane. I will mention that at MCO U are not allowed to push the luggage carryer thru the security line. I was told this after I tried. I was also told U are not to push the wheelchair thru U had to be in it but as it was just my DS7 and myself I couldnt push myself and carry the bag to keep my son occupied on the plane, so I put it in the wheelchair and suffered the pain. I was allowed to go thru a special line so I didnt have to wait to long( as MCO security lines are very long) I thanked the security staff and sat in a chair for a few minutes to rest my leg and put my shoes back on. I then proceeded to the tram to my boarding area. Point being go to an end security agent and ask for a special line. Your knees will be thankful. Oh and U are not allowed to walk thru the security gate with a cane, or touch the sides of the gate. If this is an issue ask to be screened by wand if possible.

I just flew Southwest nonstop to and from Las Vegas (returning to Baltimore). First time I've flown in 8 years and the first time ever with my power wheelchair. I have rheumatoid arthritis that severely limits my walking ability.

Southwest was a breeze to travel with. Check in at the gate and they will give you a preboarding blue card, then direct you to the preboard holding area. You may want to carry a letter from your doctor validating your disability if it is not physically apparent.

As soon as the plane disembarks, they'll usher the preboards on. Those with wheelchairs and more severe disabilities will go first, then those with less disabilities, and finally parents with babies. No rush to get inside, though you may or may not have some seats taken up by passengers from the previous flight on a lay over.

Because they needed to check my powerchair at the plane, I went first each trip. Wheeled my chair to the door of the plane, then walked the 10-15 steps inside to the first row (with the most leg room). Then they took my chair down to the cargo bay for the flight. I waited for everyone to disembark when we landed then had my chair brought back up to the plane (actually inside the plane) so I could get in.

Everyone was very nice and helpful. Even going as far to help store my carryon luggage above and get it down after the flight. Going to Vegas I and my dad had the first row to ourselves. Returning it was a crowded flight so we shared with a single passenger.

I'd definitely go Southwest again. Their preboarding system makes it very easy for the disabled and they were absolute experts when it came to transporting my chair safely.

Oh and yes Security will pull you aside for a wand or handfrisk if you are unable to walk through the detectors unaided. No big for me. I tickle easily. :D Everyone else had to practically disrobe taking off belts, hats, shoes, etc. Meanwhile me and my chair were thoroughly inspected and swapped. Interesting experience.

Thank you for the information. BroganMc you were especially helpful. I will schedule with Southwest as soon as they release my dates. I now know I don't have to worry. Thank you.

Angel16

I flew SW to Disney last year right before my ACL replacement surgery. My knee was very unstable and keeping my leg reasonably straight was most comfortable.

I called SW and they assured me I'd be able to preboard. To make my life easier, I asked for a wheelchair when I arrived at the airport. They wheeled me and my party of 4 through security and let 2 of us pre-board. It all went very smoothly.

Some people can be rude and give dirty looks as you by-pass the long security lines, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I had a large metal brace on my leg, so security took me to the side to inspect everything privately.

With any airline, best to get a wheelchair before security, and let the gate agents know you'll need extra time to board. And... give yourself plenty of time!

In our experience, many airlines are not automatically announcing preboarding for people with disabilities/needing extra time for boarding. Their attitude seems to be that if you want to/need to preboard, you will ask the gate agent ahead of time. Southwest's website says their policy for preboarding is that "If a Customer has a disability and requires preboarding, the Customer should request a blue preboarding sleeve from our Customer Service Agent positioned at the Departure Gate."
So, the don't preboard unless you ask.

Thank you so much for sharing information and experiences with your flights. I appreciate it very much. I feel much better about our flights.

This trip is going to be special for us. My DH has come through major heart valve replacement surgery for the second time. This is going to be our "Celebrating Life Trip". We are flying to our daughters home to have Thanksgiving with her, DSIL and two grandchildren. We then are proceding to WDW for two weeks. Then flying home. I have no idea what condition my knees will be in post total knee replacement. Hopefully they will be like new :) Thank you again.

Angel

I flew SW in March, just me and my DD7. On the way home from MCO I had a broken arm - long story short, broke my elbow on vacation and they patched it up (no cast, just an ace bandage and a sling) until I got home a few days later. So it was very painful and tender and I could not tolerate jostling against people. I got in the preboarding line at MCO and they let us preboard no questions asked, no blue sleeve. I asked if I would need one and they said no, it's fine.

The other times that I have traveled with my kids when they were infants/toddlers - as recently as last month - I have also preboarded and never needed a blue sleeve.

Angel16 said:
Thank you for the information. BroganMc you were especially helpful. I will schedule with Southwest as soon as they release my dates. I now know I don't have to worry. Thank you.

Angel16

Your welcome. Hope your trip is fun and rejuvenating. I always feel like a kid when I go to Disney. Anything is possible there.

Another rule of thumb to remember when traveling: tell folks what your concerns/needs are and do it with a smile. There's no harm in talking to each airline personnel along the way to ensure they all know what you need. Just don't go into it with a combative attitude.

My last trip, about 2 minutes before we boarded in Vegas, a gentleman came up to the boarding attendant armed with a note from the airline (his e-ticket saying his wife was disabled) and an aggressive attitude. Apparently he didn't check in at the gate or talk to any other airline personnel. He saw me about to enter the plane, the line of other passengers formed for the stampede and panicked. I think he thought he and his wife (who had heart problems) would be forgotten. The boarding attendant told him the standard line about checking in at the gate, he retaliated with a "I've been waiting 30 minutes and no one's here!" (the gate next to ours was staffed and a sign directed passengers there, I discovered that myself 45 minutes before), and came off as very annoying. To Southwest's credit, the boarding attendant just calmly assured him they would get him and his wife on board... after they seated me.

So don't panic. Just explain your needs, ask for whatever assistance you need, and thank profusely. People love helping those who are nice to them.

I needed a blue sleeve one time, another time they wrote something on my ticket, the other times I was just directed to go to the preboarding area.

After finding your gate, go up to the counter and request preboarding. They will tell you the procedure for that particular airport!!

Earstou said:
I needed a blue sleeve one time, another time they wrote something on my ticket, the other times I was just directed to go to the preboarding area.

After finding your gate, go up to the counter and request preboarding. They will tell you the procedure for that particular airport!!

I agree with this. We've flown on SW from Midway in Chicago maybe 4-6 times. Before this last trip, we always received the blue sleeve when we checked our luggage curbside at Midway. At MCO we were told each time to ask for it at the gate.

In May, at Midway the curbside attendant just wrote something on the boarding pass envelope and said they were no longer doing the blue sleeve.

At MCO we were told to ask at the gate. But at the gate, there was no one there but a sign to go to a different gate if you needed assistance. So I walked there and waited about 15 minutes while the SW gate attendant chatted with two SW employees about different routes they could take to get where they wanted to go. This was the first time I've encountered really lax customer service with SW but it was so disconcerting that I really don't want to fly with them again since you can't get preassigned seats and I really need to sit with our son who is Type I diabetic, has Down Syndrome and can't talk. I barely made it back before boarding. We still did get a blue sleeve there I think. Also at MCO this time we boarded at the same time as families with little ones which was also a change.

Good luck!

Wow, it sounds like it may be interesting. We are flying to Raleigh, NC from out west to see our kids. Then from there to Orlando and Orlando home.

So many carriers offer flights, but I really don't want to fly to Dallas, then Charlotte, NC then Raleigh. And fly from Raleigh to New York or Alanta to fly to Orlando. There really isn't any great choices except Southwest (right now, maybe closer to the holidays). We will do all that you have suggested and fly Southwest. Thank you so much. :grouphug:

YOu will have NO problems with southwest - go to the preboard line and you will have plenty of time to get to a seat before they allow the rest of the crowd to board....

Have a great trip and dont worry about this one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter