• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest 40 minute layover in Nashville??

SusanJN

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done a similar layover? Assuming our first flight arrives on time, would they already be boarding the second flight by the time we get off the first plane? I'm really debating whether to just pay the fare difference and book a direct flight (right now about $70) or cross my fingers and toes that everything goes smoothly and we make our connection. :confused3

If you purchased your ticket from Southwest that listed the two flights as a connection, then it's a valid connection that SW has to honor. You'll get boarding priority for both legs when you check in for your journey beginning 24 hours before the departure of the first flight.

Yes, by the time you get off your first plane, boarding for the second flight may have already started. It's unlikely that you'll be the only person coming off the first plane headed to the second plane.

BobK/Orlando

I fly through BNA many times a year and sometimes my connection is 30 minutes. BNA is a small airport, you should have no trouble going from gate to gate.

pinnie

Thanks for the info Bob and Pinnie!

If we do happen to miss the 2nd flight, would we be guaranteed on the next direct flight to MCO?

You are guaranteed a replacement flight with no collection of more money for a higher fare or more fees or change fees, but you are not guaranteed the next flight.

If you don't get to the second flight until after boarding is well under way you may lose out on the benefits of early bird check in.

You might try to hand pick flights to allow a larger time for making the connection, and if you get to the connecting city soon enough, try to stand by for an earlier flight.

"Sometimes", depending on how late your flight may be, SWA will wait for connecting passengers. We had a delay getting out of DTW making a connection at MDW, we were about 15 minutes late landing and SWA did hold the plane for the 9 connecting people.

We had this exact situation last November, we were a few minutes late arriving from CLE into Nashville and it was taking forever to get off of the plane. The flight attendant called and told them we would be coming shortly.....the bad thing is that they were boarding when we got to the gate, so I was glad I had not paid for EBC!! The whole situation made me a nervous wreck, it was the last flight into MCO for the day which made it worse if we would have missed the flight!

We had this exact situation last November, we were a few minutes late arriving from CLE into Nashville and it was taking forever to get off of the plane. The flight attendant called and told them we would be coming shortly.....the bad thing is that they were boarding when we got to the gate, so I was glad I had not paid for EBC!! The whole situation made me a nervous wreck, it was the last flight into MCO for the day which made it worse if we would have missed the flight!

This is what I am afraid will happen. Not that I paid for EBCI (I did not purchase) but they will be in the middle of boarding. If we we have an "A", do we butt in the line? Do we have to go to the back of the line? We have 7 people with 2 kids so we want to make sure we sit together. Also, it seems they do not have many direct flights from Nashville to MCO so if we have to take a later flight it will really mess up my plan to do Magic Kingdom that day. Not to mentiom I will probably have some pretty cranky family members. :(

If we we have an "A", do we butt in the line? Do we have to go to the back of the line? :(

If you have a lowering boarding number than what is being boarded when you get at the gate you get to go to the front of the line not the back.

This is what I am afraid will happen. Not that I paid for EBCI (I did not purchase) but they will be in the middle of boarding. If we we have an "A", do we butt in the line? Do we have to go to the back of the line? We have 7 people with 2 kids so we want to make sure we sit together. Also, it seems they do not have many direct flights from Nashville to MCO so if we have to take a later flight it will really mess up my plan to do Magic Kingdom that day. Not to mentiom I will probably have some pretty cranky family members. :(

You have a legitimate concern. 40 minute layers are common with SW, and as long as there is no weather, equipment or security problems, etc, you should arrive in time to get to the next gate and get your place in line. BUT, it's not guaranteed; that's part of the risk of flying Southwest. As others have mentioned....depending on the number of people that may be running a late, and exactly how late they are running, SW may delay boarding so you and others, if late, can get your spot in line. But they may not.

I was on a flight from Vegas to Buffalo, (a 4 hour flight) and after we boarded we sat, and sat, and sat. Finally the captain said we are waiting for about 12 passengers that are all on another flight from Ontario, CA that was delayed due to weather. SW made the decision to wait for them. We sat nearly an hour. But those poor souls, who had only completed about 20% of their journey on the first plane all had to sit separated from each other between strangers for the 4 hour flight. They were kids and parents going to a hockey tournament.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter