• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southern Caribbean 2014. . . Let's Start the Planning!

Not shoreside but DCL told me the following about a week ago (and this was after putting me on hold a few times while she dug for information as it was not easily found)

Terminal opens at 11
Boarding starts at 1pm
Staterooms ready between 1:30 and 2:30.
Safety Drill at 5:15
Onboard by 9:30pm,
Make up drill at 10:15

So who really knows at this point.

A lot of folks are seeing flight changes, SW, AirTran and Jet Blue. If you are booked on any of those I would confirm your times.

Tinked said:
I don't think it is required to put your life preserver on anymore.:)

No, it's not. Thank goodness ;-)

Sandy
Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

My dad and husband are looking to do an excursion together - maybe a rum factory tour or some historic location? Does anyone have suggestions for excursions that don't take all day? I didn't see much on the DCL site.

Thanks!

Finally starting to really dive into shore excursions and disappointed to find all we're interested on Grenada are restricted to at least 10 and up (DD is 8). When looking at the tour providers sites, they show a much younger age limit.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience booking an excursion outside of DCL but with the same operator? Wonder if that's even permitted. Thanks for any suggestions!

PJ

I'm curious if anyone has any experience booking an excursion outside of DCL but with the same operator? Wonder if that's even permitted. Thanks for any suggestions!
depends upon if DCL has booked their entire capacity. One of the tour operators (don't remember which island) said that DCL has them fully booked.

I was shocked to book 3 excursions thru DCL (Grenada, St Lucia & Barbados). Haven't done one thru them since 2012. We prefer to book w/outside vendors, as usually you see more and it costs less. We did book with an local touring company in Antigua. St Kitts is a toss up. The local guy I found isn't doing tours the day we are there. I booked an excursion thru DCL, but I may cancel it. I'm interested in the fort, but not the train ride. That's the only port I'm in limbo about.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was shocked to book 3 excursions thru DCL (Grenada, St Lucia & Barbados). Haven't done one thru them since 2012.

May I ask which you chose? I'm having a difficult time finding activities we like that allow an 8 year old through DCL.

Thanks!

I was shocked to book 3 excursions thru DCL (Grenada, St Lucia & Barbados). Haven't done one thru them since 2012. We prefer to book w/outside vendors, as usually you see more and it costs less. We did book with an local touring company in Antigua. St Kitts is a toss up. The local guy I found isn't doing tours the day we are there. I booked an excursion thru DCL, but I may cancel it. I'm interested in the fort, but not the train ride. That's the only port I'm in limbo about.

Do you mind sharing more specifics on what you booked? Just info gathering. I know you guys have the experience! :)

NWMom has set up one that goes to the fort and one of the plantations. I believe there are 13 people on it so far if you and Scott are interested. Feel free to contact her.

Kevin

Finally starting to really dive into shore excursions and disappointed to find all we're interested on Grenada are restricted to at least 10 and up (DD is 8). When looking at the tour providers sites, they show a much younger age limit.

PJ

I know the Zip Line in St. Kitts will not allow outside bookings. They are contracted through DCL so your only hope is to book through DCL.

Do any stops on southern itinerary have beaches within walking distance of pier? Also shopping or site seeing within walking distance, vs taking a taxi or tour?

I wondered if anyone has experience with the southern Caribbean and could suggest an island to do on our own and things to do. I am a bit disappointed in the excursions as well.

I have looked at shoretrips and they seem to have the same stuff..

Any advice is welcome and appreicated

Do any stops on southern itinerary have beaches within walking distance of pier? Also shopping or site seeing within walking distance, vs taking a taxi or tour?

I can provide some insight on three of the Islands as we have been there before...

St. Lucia: Shopping depends on where they dock. One pier is very near the downtown tourist area so shopping is good. The other pier is not within close walking distance to the downtown area, but does have a small shopping mall pier-side. There are no beaches or other sites to see within walking distance, that I know of from experience or from looking a overhead photos.

Barbados: There is a very small shopping mall at the entrance to the port, (kind of like the one in the port building in Nassau). There is really nothing else within walking distance. You can walk to the downtown area within about 20 minutes, but when we did this, we did not find this appealing for tourists. The closest beach is Brandon's Beach, about 1.5 to 2 miles away from the port, to the North.

St. Kitts.: The ship docks right at the downtown area. There is a shopping mall on the pier and more shopping close downtown. No beaches or other activities within walking distance.

We did a Southern Caribbean cruise in 2007, so some of this may have changed since then. Your mileage may vary.

Has anyone done the train ride in St Kitts? I would like to hear a bit about it.

I called shoreside again and spoke to a different rep and received the following information about embarkation:

1. The Magic will be docked at the Pan Am Pier - this is across the channel from Old San Juan. Not walkable, but a "short" cab ride from Old San Juan.

2. Check in starts at 11:00AM.

3. Boarding starts between 12:00-1:00PM.

4. Once you have checked/boarded you may disembark and get back on later. Of course, that means you'll need to take a cab somewhere as I don't believe there is anything within walking distance of Pan Am Pier.

5. Drill is at 4:00PM for those who are on board. They have not yet decided whether or not there will be a make up drill. It will depend on how many people do not attend the 4pm drill. If its only a few, they will provide instructions when you check in/board after the drill. If it is many, they are considering scheduling a make up drill. I was told they absolutely will not do all of the intercom/siren stuff if they do have a late PM drill.

6. Dinner and shows at normal cruise times

7. All aboard is at 9:30PM.

I actually didn't ask about the sail away party as we never attend it - too crowded for us.

We just booked today and it shows it at the pier in Old San Juan. Anybody know what's up?

Has anyone done the train ride in St Kitts? I would like to hear a bit about it. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We just did it in May. One of the latest reviews on TripAdvisor is mine. We thoroughly enjoyed it, as it was something different to do rather than just take a car tour or go to a beach. Lots of pretty sites and the ride was relaxing. My only negative comment is that the kids zoned out after awhile. The tour before (sometimes they do it before, sometimes after) was long and made them restless. We had to book through RCI, and I felt it was a little pricey for what we did. We typically do not do ships excursions for the price factor.

Overall a nice time though! :) I'd be happy to answer specific questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter