• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

I am on the east coast so we do WDW annually but I have not been to DL. For those who have done this tour would you recommend it for a first timer? Would you add on additional time at the parks after? If yes how many days?

I’ve been to California a bunch of times just not DL. So I’m not concerned about seeing other sights.

I am on the east coast so we do WDW annually but I have not been to DL. For those who have done this tour would you recommend it for a first timer? Would you add on additional time at the parks after? If yes how many days?

I’ve been to California a bunch of times just not DL. So I’m not concerned about seeing other sights.
Generally no, it's better to have been to the parks as a guest before.

If you really want to do it, you can add nights before the tour at Disneyland. Take a few days like any other guest, then take a break for the Hollywood portion, and finally return for the behind the scenes stuff.

Well, @jimmymc has one position and I have a different one. I will note that this is unusual as we seem to agree on most things in following posts here on the DIS.

I assume that @LoveDaisy is very familiar with WDW since they say they visit yearly. And if they are considering this ABD they are serious Disney fans. In that case I love the progression of the ABD that takes you from the Hollywood of old and hits some significant points of Walt's life.

That aside, once the trip gets to DL/DCA there is a really good immersion into the parks. You'll see things that the everyday visitor sees and lots of stuff they don't see. By the time you get to Friday of the trip you've had a good exposure to Walt's park (and DCA). At that point you can fill in the spots you missed by adding on an extra day or two.

Well, @jimmymc has one position and I have a different one. I will note that this is unusual as we seem to agree on most things in following posts here on the DIS.

I assume that @LoveDaisy is very familiar with WDW since they say they visit yearly. And if they are considering this ABD they are serious Disney fans. In that case I love the progression of the ABD that takes you from the Hollywood of old and hits some significant points of Walt's life.

That aside, once the trip gets to DL/DCA there is a really good immersion into the parks. You'll see things that the everyday visitor sees and lots of stuff they don't see. By the time you get to Friday of the trip you've had a good exposure to Walt's park (and DCA). At that point you can fill in the spots you missed by adding on an extra day or two.
Thank you. It is just my husband and me, the kids are older and we go to Disney world 1-2 times a year. My husband went to Disneyland once 30 years ago. We are big Disney fans, I’m also a history person and find that type of thing fascinating. I’m also a huge muppet fan so that appeals to me too. Things to think about.

Hi guys! I’m also going to be on the March 12 trip with my 12 year old son - we can’t wait!
Any reason to bring the pins with us or ok to leave them home?
Also - and I know this is so subjective- but what is the typical range for tips for our guides? I want to ensure that I include that in our trip budget! Thanks!!

Hi guys! I’m also going to be on the March 12 trip with my 12 year old son - we can’t wait!
Any reason to bring the pins with us or ok to leave them home?
Also - and I know this is so subjective- but what is the typical range for tips for our guides? I want to ensure that I include that in our trip budget! Thanks!!
Your Handbook for the trip should tell you, but the suggested tip is $9-$11 USD per person, per Adventure Guide, per day. I always tip the high end plus. They always deserve it and more!

I don't bring the pins with me -- really too heavy to shlep -- but do bring the lanyards. It helps people learn your name, and someone said they use it as your backstage pass on this trip.

Sayhello

Your Handbook for the trip should tell you, but the suggested tip is $9-$11 USD per person, per Adventure Guide, per day. I always tip the high end plus. They always deserve it and more!

I don't bring the pins with me -- really too heavy to shlep -- but do bring the lanyards. It helps people learn your name, and someone said they use it as your backstage pass on this trip.

Sayhello
Thank you! I agree from our first ABD years ago - the guides really are the magic!

Thank you! I agree from our first ABD years ago - the guides really are the magic!
We are on only Day 2 and if I actually tipped our guides Danny and Ralph what they actually deserve from how hard they work and how good they are at every their jobs (just from the first 2 days of the 6 day trip) I’d go broke! I’d recommend not pay very much attention to the recommended amount per day. You’re definitely going to want to tip much more!

We are on only Day 2 and if I actually tipped our guides Danny and Ralph what they actually deserve from how hard they work and how good they are at every their jobs (just from the first 2 days of the 6 day trip) I’d go broke! I’d recommend not pay very much attention to the recommended amount per day. You’re definitely going to want to tip much more!
I love Ralph! Just wait until he gets to Disneyland.

Just finished this trip and it is AMAZING, loved every minute of it, actually can’t put it into words how amazing it is and met some great people from this forum also! :)

The trip is full on and early mornings but it is all so worth it, definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it!

This is so exciting! We are doing it in August and cannot wait!

Just finished this trip and it is AMAZING, loved every minute of it, actually can’t put it into words how amazing it is and met some great people from this forum also! :)

The trip is full on and early mornings but it is all so worth it, definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it!
As I said our last night the trip absolutely wouldn’t have been the same without you mikeishere!

We had an amazing trip, amazing group, amazing guides, amazing experiences, wait… did I say amazing yet?

T
As I said our last night the trip absolutely wouldn’t have been the same without you mikeishere!

We had an amazing trip, amazing group, amazing guides, amazing experiences, wait… did I say amazing yet?
That is so sweet of you Lmillette and I was touched when you said that the other night. Also wouldn’t have been the same without you and @starwarsdad on the trip and made it memorable trip :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter