South Pacific cruise time changes?

*pixie*

DIS Veteran
We just returned from the EBTA where we lost six hours over the 13 days. We are now looking at the South Pacific cruise, either Sydney to Honolulu or Honolulu to Sydney and were wondering how many times you gain/lose an hour?

We did Sydney to Honolulu about 10 years about. IIRC, the number of time zone changes was minimal - 2 perhaps over a 18 night cruise. But you'll also cross the International Date line and wind up having a repeat of one of the days.

Ok, please help my brain here. Which route would be better, as far as not losing so many hours on the cruise? After this EBTA, I think I would rather lose the hours all at once flying in, rather than lose them slowly over the course of the cruise.

Ok, please help my brain here. Which route would be better, as far as not losing so many hours on the cruise? After this EBTA, I think I would rather lose the hours all at once flying in, rather than lose them slowly over the course of the cruise.
Going Sydney to Honolulu you will lose 4 hours but gain a day by crossing the international date line going east bound. On a Honolulu to Sydney route you will gain 4 hours but lose a day by crossing the date line going west bound. Remember that you will gain back/lose those hours and days on your flights to or from Sydney, depending on which direction you cruise. I travel internationally for a living and I find that traveling west bound much easier on my body clock than going eastbound. So, I personally would rather make a slow 4 hour change over the 15 day cruise going east than a rapid change over a flight going east bound. Bottom line is either way you are going to lose and gain the exact same amount of time over the round trip form home to Sydney and back.

It's personal preference I know, but I'm the opposite. Losing 6-7 hours all at once on a plane is a shock to the system (though I don't do well with jet lag). I'd rather do them one hour at a time so it's not so drastic.

We did Honolulu to Sydney last year. I loved the way the time changed. Then we flew to New Zealand where there was another time change. Coming home to chicago was 15 hours. We left at 530 pm and arrived about the same time the same day. I liked it. If we had gone from Sydney yo Honolulu we would have lost a day going to Sydney and then pretty much another day coming home from Honolulu given the time difference.

I would rather do the long haul flight at the end of a vacation if I had the option to do the outgoing leg on a cruise ship. And then allow a few days of doing nothing but adjusting in my own bed and home at the end.

Just flying from Atlanta to England, arriving after an overnight flight, leaves me spending a day exhausted, yet wanting to sleep (in an expensive hotel) or wanting to see a new place. And still tired the following day. I can do a day flight more easily (body wise).

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter