South Africa or Australia with 8 year old 2017

ctfl2009

Earning My Ears
hi has anyone been on either of these adventures with an 8 year old girl. Any feedback or advice on which to choose would be greatly appreciated.

I'm choosing between the same 2 trips with a 12 yr old boy. I don't have any advice.

We did a different longer version of South Africa - still our favorite of the four trips we have taken. I recommend this trip thoroughly. A 12 year old will be great on this trip. Ours was an active trip - a lot of walking and we did long days in the bus on the garden route, but I believe this has been removed on the shorter trip.

However, whether an 8 year old would do well depends on the child. Generally, everyone must be able to be quiet and still during the game watches. You are in an open vehicle; talking may prevent seeing the wildlife. We had close encounters with elephants - about 20 of them - a bull elephant with beautiful large tusks was not too happy with us, and came right up to the jeep - tusks within about two feet of my daughter. The Ranger told everyone not to move or talk, and had his rifle in his hands - but as the Ranger told us and expected, the bull moved on and trumpeted a bit at the wildlife guide who was sitting off the very front the jeep and then moved on back to the watering hole. The Rangers are very strict about movement and noise - and this was a perfect example of how and why. If your daughter is athletic and active, has no problems with pre-sunrise awakenings and could and would comply with these directives in these circumstances, she would be fine.

Hi
We did the South Africa trip when my daughter was 6. As Grifdog described, the being quiet and still on the game drives was important - and something I did not realize until we were there. She loved the trip - she loves animals! She is also an early riser - but it was bit challenging when it was cold and dark (we went in July).
I would say it is more of a 'sightseeing' trip than an 'activity' trip.
We have not done the ABD Australia trip - but have thought about it - but reading the itinerary it involves more 'activities.'
I would say it really depends on the interests of everyone in the family. I would read the itineraries together and see what everyone likes and is excited about. You can always plan a few years out......my husband is talking about what we should do in 2018 already!
Have fun deciding!
Michele

I take it that you live in USA .

Here is my Question ......... there Must be many many places in USA where you have Not visited yet.

Why not take your 8 year old to somewhere in USA . This way you All would see something new &

yet be in your own Country ..... If ..... something goes wrong ( health wise ).

Another 6 years ... wait .. before really travelling overseas would make a Huge difference to

All your families enjoyment .

Yes I know you will have travel insurance etc.. But if something happens overseas & in a strange country it could be

a nightmare to handle .& stressful .

I did Australia with my 11yo son (at the time). Australia is more active compared to other ABD's I've been on, but much of the itinerary has changed. There's still the trip out to the Great Barrier Reef. I don't think I would do snorkeling with an 8 yo unless they're very familiar with snorkeling with decent waves. But they have a sub (my son's favorite) and helicopter. They've removed the surfing in Bondi, ocean kayaking, and zip lining. So, it may not be quite as active as it was in 2015. I will say there weren't any kids around the age of 8 in Australia. I think the youngest was 10. SE Asia and China on the other hand did have some 6,7,8 yo's. Not many, but some. That may not be a big deal. I took my son at 7yo to the France ABD and he was youngest by far, and it didn't phase him.

Of the Asia/Australia ABDs for an 8yo, I would rank them SE Asia, China, and then Australia (2015 version) based on activity level and ages of other kids on my ABDs. Having said that, I have no doubt you'd have a wonderful time with your 8yo in Australia. We'll be trying S. Africa next year.

And I will respectfully disagree with the advice against traveling abroad with young children. Traveling abroad with my young children has always been a very positive experience.

Last edited:
I agree with Cousin Orville! We started taking our son on ABD when he was four (Greece) and he loved it and remembers it! My husband and I also appreciated not putting off traveling until he was "old enough."

We have not done South Africa but on our Winter in Wyoming and Greece trips, we met families who had. One had an only daughter who may have been younger than 8 at the time. They ranked it as their favorite trip ever and still were showing us pictures from the trip even though they had taken it a few years ago. The only issue came up was with some of the animals. No real issue but the guide had to have her sit in the center of the vehicle and one time asked her to stay very still. I know that sounds scary but it really isn't! We had to do the same thing with our son in Wyoming when a Coyote came very close to us. He didn't bother us at all but precautions had to be taken.

The other family who did the trip had four children and the youngest would have been 7 or 8. They said it was their favorite trip and went on and on about the lodge!

So my third hand recommendation would be to go for it unless your little one has a hard time sitting still or may not be quick to follow instruction from the guide!

I love the usa truly do. But we live in an global economy. I recommend that you do both see the usa and somewhere else.

We are going on the Australia ABD in a few weeks with our 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son. I'll be happy to report back, although as Cousin Orville says, the Australia itinerary for 2017 has changed. I'm going on the same itinerary Cousin Orville and his son did. (In fact, I've poured over Cousin Orville's excellent trip report and feel very prepared! Thanks Cousin Orville!!!) My kids are really excited about all of the activities. Frankly, I'm not sure you could go wrong between those two trips. Both sound great!

I wanted to add one thing about the age of the kids - from our experience, and reading here, it can vary from departure to departure, not just destination to destination.
My daughter has always been the youngest on our ABD trips ....even as she has gotten older. A few times by 2 years (she was 5 and then a 7 year old in China; she was 8 and then a 10 year old in SE Asia), once by a couple of months (at least they were the same in years!), and in South Africa by 3 or 4 years (she was 6, and then some 10 year olds). It has never bothered her - but she figures at 11 this is her year to break the streak!

We are going on the Australia ABD in a few weeks with our 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son. I'll be happy to report back, although as Cousin Orville says, the Australia itinerary for 2017 has changed. I'm going on the same itinerary Cousin Orville and his son did. (In fact, I've poured over Cousin Orville's excellent trip report and feel very prepared! Thanks Cousin Orville!!!) My kids are really excited about all of the activities. Frankly, I'm not sure you could go wrong between those two trips. Both sound great!
Are you on the June 15 trip? (We are on that one!). Just got our box of stuff, too. Great trip--so glad we are going with the old itinerary!

Are you on the June 15 trip? (We are on that one!). Just got our box of stuff, too. Great trip--so glad we are going with the old itinerary!

Unfortunately, no! We are on the one right after you. (June 29.) I've been waiting for the box to arrive. Since you're gotten yours, I know ours should be coming pretty soon. I agree with you. I am so happy we are going with the old itinerary! I would have been disappointed if we had put it off and it had changed. This is my first ABD, so I am TOTALLY excited!

Unfortunately, no! We are on the one right after you. (June 29.) I've been waiting for the box to arrive. Since you're gotten yours, I know ours should be coming pretty soon. I agree with you. I am so happy we are going with the old itinerary! I would have been disappointed if we had put it off and it had changed. This is my first ABD, so I am TOTALLY excited!
We have loved all of our adventures with Disney--and this one seems especially loaded up! I am sure you will be hooked!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter