South Africa late April 2011

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
We are going in late April. I am grateful for the two trip reports (THANK YOU PRINCESS!). I am hoping for more input from those who have been with kids. Our twin DD at 11 (squeezed in while they are still kids) are going. Their brother had aged out at 22 and is on his own, so while this is our third ABD trip it's our first without his additional help. (Three adults for two kids is a good ratio in my opinion!)

Anything anyone who has done this trip can share would be appreciated.

Because the flights for us don't get into Cape Town until 9:30 pm (if they are on time) we've added an extra day so we aren't too travel weary at the start.

My kids are up on the Apartheid from school and our talks, and are full. They have asked that we NOT focus on that so much for the "extra" day. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks to all for sharing on this Board over the years. I'm grateful for the board, and for the opportunities available to us all. I am thankful for what we have, and wish all in our Country a bit less arrogance, and more humility and respect for others. ABD gives us the chance to interact with other cultures; let us celebrate!

I haven't done this trip, but I've been to Jo'burg a couple of times. You mentioned in the other thread that your wife is a "foodie" Not sure if it will be included somewhere in your itin, but have her ask the guides about getting "bunny chow" for a meal. If she likes Indian food, she'll enjoy it. As for other food, make sure to eat springbok, if you get the chance.

We're also going to SA with ABD, but no on your trip. We will be arriving almost two days early. What I have planned for the time on our own is the Two Oceans Aquarium, V&A Waterfront for shopping and dining, and Robben Island. I know your kids don't want to do anything apartheid related, but really, Nelson Mandela spent 27 years on Robben Island so for me it is a must-see. Also, if I can find a reliable guide, I think I'd also like to visit a township.

I haven't done this trip, but I've been to Jo'burg a couple of times. You mentioned in the other thread that your wife is a "foodie" Not sure if it will be included somewhere in your itin, but have her ask the guides about getting "bunny chow" for a meal. If she likes Indian food, she'll enjoy it. As for other food, make sure to eat springbok, if you get the chance.
THANK YOU for the input. I had to look up what these are - and DW says it sounds delicious. She is determined to lose some weight (not really necessary) before the trip, so she can gain it back while on the trip.

We're also going to SA with ABD, but no on your trip. We will be arriving almost two days early. What I have planned for the time on our own is the Two Oceans Aquarium, V&A Waterfront for shopping and dining, and Robben Island. I know your kids don't want to do anything apartheid related, but really, Nelson Mandela spent 27 years on Robben Island so for me it is a must-see. Also, if I can find a reliable guide, I think I'd also like to visit a township.
Thanks for your suggestions. My daughters love to shop and the V&A waterfront is on their list. They filled two suitcases with purchases in Peru. My blonde, green eyed daughter could barter and negotiate better than anyone. She bats those eyes, and cuts the price and gets a sale her mom an hour earlier could not touch. She's so tiny (much smaller than her twin) that she can charm a lot of folks. Fortunately, it's not an act - she really is that nice.

THANK YOU for the input. I had to look up what these are - and DW says it sounds delicious. She is determined to lose some weight (not really necessary) before the trip, so she can gain it back while on the trip.

No problem. The bunny chow is really good but I found the story behind why it's called that to be even more interesting. Most of the S. Africans I work with don't know why it's called that. Of course telling your friends that you had bunny chow when you get back will get you a bunch of strange looks :-)

Places that serve it are pretty common, so just find the place closest to the hotel.

We are going in late April. I am grateful for the two trip reports (THANK YOU PRINCESS!). I am hoping for more input from those who have been with kids. Our twin DD at 11 (squeezed in while they are still kids) are going. Their brother had aged out at 22 and is on his own, so while this is our third ABD trip it's our first without his additional help. (Three adults for two kids is a good ratio in my opinion!)

Anything anyone who has done this trip can share would be appreciated.

Because the flights for us don't get into Cape Town until 9:30 pm (if they are on time) we've added an extra day so we aren't too travel weary at the start.

My kids are up on the Apartheid from school and our talks, and are full. They have asked that we NOT focus on that so much for the "extra" day. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks to all for sharing on this Board over the years. I'm grateful for the board, and for the opportunities available to us all. I am thankful for what we have, and wish all in our Country a bit less arrogance, and more humility and respect for others. ABD gives us the chance to interact with other cultures; let us celebrate!

You're Welcome! Have a great trip!!!

Our daughter was 12 when we went on this trip in August. She loved the Victoria & Albert Waterfront. The mall there is very nice and there are tons of restaurants to chose from (I highly recommend Quay Four for fish and chips and Rooti's for pancakes - the kids loved both of these places). When we were there, there was live music in the courtyard. If you have ever been to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, it is a very similar atmosphere. We ended up going both our extra day and the first day of the trip. There is a shuttle from the hotel to the waterfront which is included for Disney guests. Make sure you remind the front desk at the Southern Sun because they will give you a stamp so that it is free. We did go to Robben Island and when I just asked my daughter what she thought she said that she wasn't overly thrilled with it, but that it is something that you should do if you are there. The aquarium is nice but small. You can walk there from the waterfront. It truly is an amazing trip - you are going to have a great time!

My girls' (11 and 9) favorite things to do in Cape Town, although some might be already included in the ABD program:

• Two Oceans Aquarium
  • Visit the penguins in Simon's Town
  • Take a boat trip from Hout Bay to see Seals Island
  • Take the hop off and on open top double decker bus around the city - I believe they are called something like Sightseeing Cape Town, if I remember correctly

I have not done the ABD trip, but I spent 3 weeks in Cape Town last summer... I would highly recommend having dinner at the Africa Cafe (http://www.africacafe.co.za/). The decor is incredible, the people are friendly, and the meal is a sampling of a variety of yummy food from all over South Africa. You could also take a tour of Greenpoint Stadium (built for the FIFA World Cup) or see a rugby game at Newlands Stadium. There is also a small rugby museum nearby. If you want to visit a township, I would recommend Khayelitsha or Masiphumelele... you could even spend a night at Vicky's B & B in Khayelitsha. I did this and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.
Another highlight of my trip was sandboarding (like snowboarding but on sand dunes) and quadbiking (4 wheeling) with Downhill Adventures.. you just have to get to their office in Cape Town and they will drive you to the sand dunes... this was an absolute blast!!

Have a great trip! You will love SA!

Thank you all for excellent suggestions. We visit the Inner Harbour regularly - and this sounds excellent. We'll also look at Seal Island. Sandboarding sounds awesome.

I remember reading something in someone's trip report about an "elephant experience". What is it? How much is it? I just want to make sure I bring enough money!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter