Soup ideas

Last week I flattened and popped some day old french baguettes into the toaster then buttered and sprinkled with a touch of TJs garlic salt grinder and it was very nice with leftover soup, so it's a nice quick perk.
Have you made homemade croutons? Same idea as your day old baguettes---cut 'em into cubes, soak them in some olive oil & butter, sprinkle liberally with your choice of spices and put them in the oven at 300 for 10-15 minutes. These are so much better than store-bought croutons, it's not even in the same ball park. Great in soups or on salads.

Have you made homemade croutons? Same idea as your day old baguettes---cut 'em into cubes, soak them in some olive oil & butter, sprinkle liberally with your choice of spices and put them in the oven at 300 for 10-15 minutes. These are so much better than store-bought croutons, it's not even in the same ball park. Great in soups or on salads.
Actually, I have not but it sounds like a good idea to be served on the side of the soups, thanks!

I love soup! I make roasted vegetable soup. Basically roast a bunch of veggies with seasoning and olive oil in 400 degree oven. like carrots, zucchini, butternut squash (necessary for this one), onions, asparagus, etc. I then just blend it with chicken or veggie broth in a blender and season however I like. Sooo good.

I also love Ham and Potato soup. I use the recipe from Allrecipes called Delicious Ham and Potato Soup. Instead of water, I cook potatoes in chicken broth which tastes so much better.

I also love Bertucci’s Italian Sausage Soup with Spinach and rice. Just made that yesterday!

We eat a lot of soup, especially Fideo, Navy Bean Soup, and Caldo de Queso. Sometimes I just add half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (cooked) to a can of cream of chicken soup along with a soup can of milk.

I know Pampered Chef can get pricy, but their Tuscan Herb Chicken seasoning mix makes the best chicken soup and chicken n noodles.

I put it plus chicken and broth in slow cooker. Add carrots for soup. Noodles at the end if you want. So good. Sometimes we do it as soup, sometimes with more noodles as more of a pasta dish.

Here's one of our favorites. We just call it Italian soup and the parmesan takes the taste to another level. :) It is a great one-pot soup. I also substitute my home-canned chicken broth and frozen northern beans (cooked dry beans) to control the sodium. Have some crusty bread ready for dipping!

Italian Soup​

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15.8 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 8 ounces baby spinach
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish

Instructions​

• Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the turkey with the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes,and pepper until the turkey is cooked through and then onions are translucent (about 7 minutes).
  • Add the oregano, basil, tomatoes (with liquid), and beans. Stir to combine.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low, add spinach and cover for about 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir to combine.
  • Add broth, stir, and increase heat to medium. Continue to cook until heated through – about 5 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan and serve.

This thread made me want to make my favorite soup for my lunches next week. Not sure what it’s called since it’s a riff on a recipe I saw ages ago.

Kielbasa
Navy beans
Spinach or kale (fresh or frozen)
Onion
Garlic
Chicken broth (or bullion and water)
Lemon
Seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, thyme, sometimes a touch of nutmeg)

Brown chopped kielbasa with onion, add garlic, add everything else, cook til done. Pretty simple, but an easy way to get in some greens when you are tired of salad. Remove kielbasa and sub veg stock for chicken, and it’s vegan.

My family’s two favorite soups are lablabi and a lentil lemon soup.

I take a shortcut by using canned chickpeas and usually use broth in place of water for the lablabi. It’s good served with a side of bread and spice levels can be adjusted to individual tastes at the table by adding harissa, cayenne, berbere seasoning, etc. There’s a list of topping options after the recipe that doesn’t include avocado, but should.
https://www.seriouseats.com/mollie-katzens-lablabi-tunisian-chickpea-soup

The lentil lemon soup is fresh and light. We call it 3-carrot soup in our house due to *inside joke reasons* and yes, I add three carrots to it as well as parsnips and occasionally (vegan) chicken.
http://www.vegansandra.com/2015/01/lentil-and-turnip-soup-with-lemon.html

I did taco soup earlier this week. The good thing about it is for being mostly canned goods it tastes pretty fresh and seasoned perfectly. Very unfussy.
1lb ground turkey
1 med diced onion
1 reg size can chicken broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 pkg taco season mix
1 pkg ranch dressing mix.

I love their Zuppa Toscana

todd wilbur's 'top secret recipes' knock-off is identical to the restaurant's and very quick and easy to make. i love this soup (and it's the only food i've found that dh will eat that has kale).

I did taco soup earlier this week. The good thing about it is for being mostly canned goods it tastes pretty fresh and seasoned perfectly. Very unfussy.
1lb ground turkey
1 med diced onion
1 reg size can chicken broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 pkg taco season mix
1 pkg ranch dressing mix.

this is one of my quick standby's (though i use ground beef). i also like the newer variation i found-8 can chicken enchilada soup.

• 1 can Tomatoes, diced 15 ounces
  • 1 can Corn, drained 15 ounces
  • 1 can Black Beans, rinsed 15 ounces
  • 1 can Pinto Beans, rinsed 15 ounces
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup 10 ¾ ounce
  • 1 can Chicken Breast, drained 12 ounces
  • 1 can Green Enchilada Sauce 10 ounces
  • 1 can Chicken Broth 15 ounces
  • 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
combine in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.

i like these soups b/c they are quick and easy so i keep the ingredients on hand.

i make lots of soups from scratch but i SO ENVY people who live in canada b/c they have access to mitchelll's soup mixes. these are THE BEST. i wish they were able to ship to the u.s.:(:(:(

Hmmm, I have almost an entire bag of shredded cabbage from TJ's minus what I used for shrimp tacos the other day. Do you think it would be good with the thin cuts? ...
This recipe is a favorite and uses shredded cabbage (I use the bags from TJ's, so I know it will work!): veselka's cabbage soup
I've subbed kielbasa or Hungarian sausage for the pork shoulder -- works great!

Another favorite soup: https://doriegreenspan.com/recipe/h...soup-i-almost-cured-a-cold-i-bought-the-book/
Super easy to make, very flexible (I've used pork pot stickers for the pork shoulder, cremini mushrooms for the wood ear mushrooms, less Sriracha, etc.), and tastes so good! Double the recipe for leftovers because there won't be any from a single batch.

With baby carrots so cheap right now, I love making this soup - I don't measure, I just use my olive oil, I use extra carrots and onion and extra seasoning and leave the fluid amounts the same (and usually use dried seasoning - it's way cheaper and faster without losing the taste), and I do finish with a little maple syrup (like a tsp to 1/2 TB - it's just a nice finish). The mouth feel is amazing...

https://www.wholesomelicious.com/creamy-carrot-and-ginger-soup-dairy-free/
I have a carrot and ginger soup recipe that I have yet to make, so I think I’ll try it.

We bought a ton of sweet potatoes when they were 25cents a pound so this is a current favorite with ginger and coconut milk:
https://thefirstmess.com/2020/02/19/sweet-potato-coconut-milk-stew/

My family’s two favorite soups are lablabi and a lentil lemon soup.

I take a shortcut by using canned chickpeas and usually use broth in place of water for the lablabi. It’s good served with a side of bread and spice levels can be adjusted to individual tastes at the table by adding harissa, cayenne, berbere seasoning, etc. There’s a list of topping options after the recipe that doesn’t include avocado, but should.
https://www.seriouseats.com/mollie-katzens-lablabi-tunisian-chickpea-soup

The lentil lemon soup is fresh and light. We call it 3-carrot soup in our house due to *inside joke reasons* and yes, I add three carrots to it as well as parsnips and occasionally (vegan) chicken.
http://www.vegansandra.com/2015/01/lentil-and-turnip-soup-with-lemon.html
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a different lablabi recipe saved that has tomato in it, so I’ll try yours. I cook up big batches of chickpeas in my instant pot so always looking for new ways to use them.

Lemon lentil soup is my daughter’s favorite. The recipe we use has a little corn and curry in it: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/lemony-lentil-soup/

I have a carrot and ginger soup recipe that I have yet to make, so I think I’ll try it.

We bought a ton of sweet potatoes when they were 25cents a pound so this is a current favorite with ginger and coconut milk:
https://thefirstmess.com/2020/02/19/sweet-potato-coconut-milk-stew/

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a different lablabi recipe saved that has tomato in it, so I’ll try yours. I cook up big batches of chickpeas in my instant pot so always looking for new ways to use them.

Lemon lentil soup is my daughter’s favorite. The recipe we use has a little corn and curry in it: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/lemony-lentil-soup/
If you’re looking for other ways to use chickpeas, we also do a chickpea noodle soup (a typical chicken noodle soup using chickpeas in place of chicken) and a chickpea curry pasta. That one’s basically just a base of buttered pasta noodles heavily seasoned with curry and other Indian spices of your choosing with 2-3 cans of chickpeas mixed in. I also add chickpeas to my pot pie recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter