Sound of DCL horn - is it loud? Will it scare the kids?

Wow, great responses guys! Thanks, this helps a ton. Looks like as long as we know where to be and when, we'll be OK.

Fireworks though - well, that'll be a different story. Unfortunately we'll probably have to avoid that. I remember at the MK last year, we ducked into the "It's A Small World" ride to avoid them when they were going off. Fireworks were still going strong when we got to the end of the ride but the cast member let us go around one more time which I thought was really nice (and saved us from dealing with panicked kids! :thumbsup2).

It is L-O-U-D if you are on deck 9 or 10 in the middle (family pool), but if you know it is coming (and you will) you can handle it, just warn small children. Surprisingly, go past the stacks forward or aft, or go below, and the noise quickly fades to a nice distant horn, if you can hear it at all.

First time we heard it was while getting in line for security at the terminal - it was a fun surprise since we didn't know it was a tune!

After that it was like PP's said - arriving or leaving dock, noon and once for another ship - in the stateroom we could hardly hear it (deck 6 mid verandah), and only once were on deck 10 (sail away party) and we were at midships and didn't have a problem. My DS7 also has a problem with loud noises, but it didn't bother him.

As for the fireworkds, it would be worth trying to see them, as the noise was very minimal (at least for us) - we were right in front of the stage for the Pirates Party show, and the fireworks were no louder than the music. You might even be able to see them if you have an outside stateroom on the correct side (starboard on our cruise).

Have fun either way!

This just makes me laugh, but a medical treatment is making me kinda batty right now so if it's not as funny as I think it is please excuse.

DH is not really a Disney fan but went on the cruise to humor me. The night before we were visiting Manatee park in PC and heard the 'When You Wish Upon a Star,' notes. He stopped dead in his tracks and looked at me...."What.Was.That?" ..."Um..the ship's horn?" "Just shoot me now.":rotfl:

:rotfl:

Well there are times when the Rules of the Road require that ships sound their horns. One is when they leave the pier. As soon as they are untied, they should sound one long blast (5 seconds or more) to indicate a change of status. Then they may sound three shorter blasts (1 second each) to indicate that the engines are backing (going astern). When meeting another ship in the channel, depending on the situation, they may sound the horn to tell the other ship how they plan to pass each other (going the same or opposite directions). Sometimes ships are in radio contact, and they might not use the horn when passing. Bear in mind that coming into and leaving port, there is a pilot on board, and he is likely talking to the pilot on any other ship going in or out.

By the way, it is neat sometimes to watch after you leave port, as the pilot has to get off the ship. Look for a small boat that will generally have the word "pilot" in very large letters going along with the ship, and then the ship will slow down at the end of the channel, and the pilot boat will slip alongside and the pilot will jump off the ship. They jump aboard on the way into port too, but that is sometimes early in the morning.

the thing that still scares my DD (after 6 cruises) is the "siren" that goes off to start the life boat drill. THAT you can hear in the staterooms and is LOUD

Frankly, I must admit it brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear it! Although I've never been on deck 9 or 10 when it's sounded... Still love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter