Sorry to sound greedy, but what about credit limit?

FredS

DIS Veteran
While I am very excited about going on our first cruise, I am so tired of hearing about various on-board credits which I am supposedly entitled to, but can't actually receive.

Apparently our booking already has an "early booking" credit. So we can't receive a first-time cruise credit, a Disney Visa credit, a Disney Club card credit, or the other ones which I can't even recall at this point. I could better understand if the credits were huge, but it just seems to me that it is misleading to mention credits from all these entities when you can only get one credit per stateroom, period. I would really just as soon not even be sent anything else which references them, as it is just aggravating at this point!

I have to say that I agree totally with you Fred. This will be cruise #5 for us. We have only received 2 onboard credits in the past and should actually be eliagble to recieve one this time - the BBO offer BUT because we booked using Florida residents we can't get it.
It does always seem that a credit is extended your way and then withdrawn due to some crazy thing. An offer should be an offer regardless of where you live, when you book, or how you book. It would be better business if they just gave the credit.

Maybe the policies have changed, but for our Feb. 2003 cruise, we had both the "early booking discount" (booked May 2002) and the "REF" first-time cruiser credit, which was $50 for the Magic ($25 for the Wonder?).

As far as I know, you should be able to add the REF credit (or any other credit) in addition to the early-booking savings. Have you tried and been shot down by your TA or DCL? Just curious.

April

Adding to above poster:

If you indeed were shot down by your TA for the REF credit (for first time cruisers) I would call back and insist they try again. I heard about REF here and when I talked to "veteran" TA, she told me "no way" and acted like I was crazy but she did agree to try (good thing she did try or I would have "walked"). ANYWAY, she called back and had to apologize about the credit, she was wrong and we're getting $50 credit for each room (we have 2 rooms booked)! Just wanted to pass this along, for what its worth. ;)

P.S. According to her, she had to speak with 2 or 3 people at DCL as they also seemed to not know much about the REF credit, but, low and behold she finally talked to the right person.

Actually, TA did act like she didn't know what I was talking about, but when I provided code she called and said that CM told her that since we already had the early booking code we could not use ANY other codes.

We also just spent 12 days at Disney and were given yet another code -- for a credit for cruising after a WDW stay. I wish that I could call Disney myself and see if I could locate a CM willing and able to apply any of these credits, but don't know how much luck I would have, either.

Again, I am very happy to cruise, but with as much as we are spending we could use a couple of extra $25, $50 or that $100 one for a bit more available funds for spending on the trip. Instead of the goodwill and encouragement to cruise I am sure Disney intended to build, I think this particularly policy is annoying, instead.

Originally posted by FredS
I wish that I could call Disney myself and see if I could locate a CM willing and able to apply any of these credits, but don't know how much luck I would have, either.

I would call Disney and ask what their policy is regarding these credits.

My TA called about the BBO credit and said that Disney said no because we had to apply it when we booked and the only way to get it was to cancel and rebook (which would have been much more expensive).

I called Disney myself later (because others said they have gotten it) and they told me that there wasn't anyway they could put it in the computer after the booking was made. As least I have satisfied myself that it is a legitimate policy.

On our first cruise 2 years ago we got an early booking discount and then I called later and got the $50 onboard credit. I would definitely try again.

I called DCL a couple of days ago and had a $50 disney club card credit added to my reservation but when I also asked about the first time cruiser credit, the CM informed me they could not be combined. So apparently this is very common whether you call DCL direct or go thru a travel agent.

Originally posted by hilltopfamily
P.S. According to her, she had to speak with 2 or 3 people at DCL as they also seemed to not know much about the REF credit, but, low and behold she finally talked to the right person.
This happened to me as well. It took a couple of tries to put together the combination of (1) someone at my TA who understood what the REF code was about, and (2) someone at DCL who had the right information.

Unless FredS used a specific code at booking (other than the automatic early booking discount), the REF code should be valid. I would call DCL directly to confirm that the REF code is in fact valid (or not) for your resv. (and push them on it - we all got it, you should too!), then call your TA and tell them to push until it's on your reservation!

I don't blame you for your frustration, though - if I wasn't able to get something I knew I should get, I would be annoyed too! :mad:

In defense of Disney....

This policy is not unlike not being able to use two store coupons on the same purchase at a retail/grocery story.

People could easily ladder discount upon discount and Disney would be eventually paying to take people on the cruise.

All coupons, credits, etc has terms, and it is up to the buyer to comply with the terms. Once can book early and be assured of the sailing, or wait, but then you take your chances.

I myself, booked with disney, very early and got a good price, but no "early booking credit". I later transferred my ressie to AAA, and got free mugs, but these were from AAA. Then, about two weeks later I got my TA to add a $50 first time cruiser credit (the famous "REF" code).

So I booked early, got the cruise I wanted, and got a $50 credit.

I am thrilled I am fortunate enough to go at all (30 years ago I was a refugee sleeping on the floor in our house beside my little brother cause there weren't enough beds to go around)

I shopped around and saved 75% of the cost of insurance using the access america family plan, so overall I'm very happy.

callahanjulie10
DIS Veteran

I have to say that I agree totally with you Fred. This will be cruise #5 for us. We have only received 2 onboard credits in the past and should actually be eliagble to recieve one this time - the BBO offer BUT because we booked using Florida residents we can't get it.
It does always seem that a credit is extended your way and then withdrawn due to some crazy thing. An offer should be an offer regardless of where you live, when you book, or how you book. It would be better business if they just gave the credit.

Callahanjulie your getting Fla. residents rates, you're saving big time compared to what non-Fla. resident pays. Your right an offer is an offer that maybe should be extend to non-Fla residents. If I was offered that I wouldn't be looking for any onboard credits.

Originally posted by jgalecpa
I myself, booked with disney, very early and got a good price, but no "early booking credit".
This is what we did as well. We didn't use any specific "early booking" code or discount, we just received what every reservation made months in advance gets: savings for booking early. To quote the DCL website from a quote I just grabbed for Mar 2004 (as an example): "Included in Price: Early Booking Savings".

Then we added the REF code. Now maybe FredS has a different code on his reservation, some kind of different "early booking" discount, but if he just has the same savings as many others automatically receive, he should be able to add the REF code - without any guilty feelings.

Don't give up.....the squeaky wheel gets the oil ;)

Sorry, but I don't see where 'early booking' has anything to do with a 'first time cruiser credit'. Early booking is just that ~ anyone who books early out gets a cheaper rate ~ it is not a credit so too speak. The 'First time cruiser credit' is just that ~
a credit for being a first timer.

We booked early, therefore rec'd early booking discount. As we were first time cruisers w/Disney also got $50 'REF' credit for each
of our 5 cabins. Wish you luck!

EXCEPT- we have received the credit before! It seems that the rules change constantly and it really all depends on who you talk too! They shouldn't offer an onboard credit for us staying at AKL during a certain period (using a FL resident discount to stay there as well!) and then not honor it when they sent it to me at my address in PCB, FL.
Yes- we do save on prices but how many people do you know that have visited WDW 20+ times in the last couple of years- taken 5 DCL cruises during the same time period and gone to DLP once in that time. We do get a savings but I end up giving it back by visiting more. We budget $100 a day on food and stay an average of 5-7 nights per stay- we usually spend approx $800 for our hotel stay, and then we also still buy new souvies since we are huge fans of the Mouse!
But back to the credit- if they extend it to me- they should honor it!

We have never gotten a $599 rate but that is because we can't go when DD is in school. I think we are paying something like $1000 per adult for a cat 9.

In response to not getting the Florida Resident rate AND an onboard credit:

Florida Residents get some of the best rates around. I sailed on the May 3rd Magic - Eastern cruise for $599 per person.

I think it is asking a bit much to receive this kind of rate AND an onboard credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter