Sorry to bring up again, but does anyone feel like me? How do I get past this?

Originally posted by wdwoldtimer
Is this before or after they've killed dozens of innocent people?

If you continue to feel this way, please blow yourself up in an open field someplace, away from other Americans.

Oh and if you do go through with it, video tape it and have someone post it on the internet.

I didn't say I would ever act that way....I just said that last night as I felt so helpless and angry, I could see how in the extreme people with those feelings could become unhinged. THERE IS A REASON that terrorists act as they do...it may be an evil reason, it may be a disgusting reason, but the actual folks who blow themselves up must feel that this is the only way they can have an impact on the situation. Sure, they are pawns in the power of evil folks, but without anger and helplessness, no one would do that to themselves.

Why do you think I am dangerous because I understand someone else's emotions? Almost all of us can control our base and violent thoughts (we're all sinners); those who act on those are criminals.

Did you read about the most recent lady who cut off a guy's private part, after the guy had been abusive to her? Didn't you think for a moment "He deserved it." That doesn't mean that you would ever do such a thing...it means that you can understand how her emotions led to her act.

Did nothing ever happen to you that gave you insight into the motivations or feelings of others?

Originally posted by missypie
Last night I was so filled with rage and helplessness that I actually started understanding how the suicide bombers feel...the situation is so bad, and there is absolutely nothing I can do to change it. I can see how a more radical (and impoverished and hopeless) person would go nuts when experiencing such feelings and use violence to express himself.

Please, Please tell me you just put your foot in your mouth! (Take this from one who well knows the taste of his foot!)

I too was terribly saddened and depressed by Clinton's re-election. I know exactly how you feel as relates to rage and helplessness . I was embaressed to be an American with Clinton as my President. (not to mention my spelling). But I never considered violence.

However, the remainder of your comments are way off base. Are you saying you really want to blow up and kill and maim innocent children? Are you the same as Tim McVey? Remember the dead infant in the firefighter's arms? Is that what you are going to do?

I urge the other Kerry supporters (not meant as an attack, just a label) to reach out to missypie, please PM her.

If you really feel this way Missypie, then please drive yourself to a mental health crisis center, or call 9-1-1 and goto an Emergency Room before you do something terrible.

Otherwise, take a break, get some sleep, do some exercise and stay away from caffiene and firearms!

-Tony

edited to add, posted at same time as Missypie's reply! Phew I feel better!

Then she should have said she felt like a Yankees fan....they are feeling rage and frustration and they aren't killing innocent people.

Err........are they?

binny - Very well said.

::yes::

So blowing up yourself and other people is the answer? And this is the party of tolerance and acceptance? This is just sick and disturbing if you really feel that way. Look, the President has LITTLE impact on your daily life. Come to grips with that. I lived through Carter and Clinton and it didn't affect me one wit. Get over yourself. Or blow yourself up if you must. But do it in the middle of nowhere with nobody around. Thanks.

::yes::

I'm not sure how a vote can cause these kinds of emotions in you. Even with Kerry in the office, there still was going to be a war, still going to be oppression, still going to be problems.

Kerry was not a 'miracle pill' that when he got elected he'd be able to make everything all shiny and clean. For that matter, neither is Bush.

There was a quote on CNN from when Kerry called Bush to concede. Kerry told Bush that our nation was a divided nation. Both agreed that something needs to be done about it.

I agree with all the other posters - if you feel that strongly that you failed yourself or your country, then volunteer to help out your local political party. You participation does not have to start in 4 years - you can help out with local elections and that will give you a taste of what you would be doing for a presidential election.

I'm sorry you can't understand my emotions. It's something I cared strongly about.

Of course I know life will go on, but not in the direction I would like it to start moving.

I don't think I ever thought I failed myself or my country....I think it's the other way around today.

Originally posted by jfulcer
I agree with all the other posters - if you feel that strongly that you failed yourself or your country, then volunteer to help out your local political party. You participation does not have to start in 4 years - you can help out with local elections and that will give you a taste of what you would be doing for a presidential election.

How true.

But don't forget the other option...blowing yourself up along with innocent people.

But Babar, you aren't responsible for the rest of your country - I mean, you can't be responsible for their vote or their decision.

Are You Heading For an Election Meltdown?

Some Experts Predict Epidemic of Post-Partisan Depression

By Denise Mann
WebMD Feature Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD

Nov 2, 2004 -- Regardless of the outcome of the 2004 presidential election, polls suggest that as many as 49% of Americans may now feel a profound sense of loss or even deep-seated anger.

A high voter turnout was expected this election, and the stakes may never have been higher. You are either for President Bush or you are against him. The same holds true for Sen. John Kerry and the issues of the war in Iraq, guns, abortion, gay marriage, and stem cell research.

"There are a lot of folks that have gotten very, very involved and believe that the direction of our country is at stake, and many people that could have very acute reactions to the election results," says political leadership coach Donna Zajonc, a former Oregon state representative and mental health nurse.

"I do believe that there will be a psychological effect that can be long-term if not dealt with," says Zajonc, author of The Politics of Hope: Reviving the Dream of Democracy.

But turning off the television, spending time with friends and family, and eventually getting involved with the issues that matter most on a grass roots level can help stave off any lasting effects, experts tell WebMD.

Intense Election, Intense Reaction

"The intensity and polarization in this election almost feels like the 1960s and the Vietnam era, except that in the 1960s, you never saw bumper stickers saying, 'Anyone but …,'" agrees Robert R. Butterworth, PhD, a psychologist at International Trauma Associates in Los Angeles. "A significant number of people are going to be pissed and that anger can turn to cynicism and uninvolvement."

"We have gotten people riled up, and the bases have been energized and the opposite of energized is depression," he adds.

The closeness of this year's election may further intensify the situation, he says.

"If you are not backing a candidate that is leading in the polls, you are psychologically prepared [to lose], but the dead heat in this election adds a cliffhanger aspect, which means that when we do fall, we will fall hard," Butterworth says.

Another drawn-out election can also make things worse for millions of Americans who are so vested in the outcome of this election.

"My dad always told me that if I had a tooth that bothered me, I could wiggle it or I could tie a string to the tooth and to a door and slam the door to pull it out, and my feeling is always let's get the pain over with as quickly as we can and not prolong things," Butterworth says.

Sore Winners Breed Really, Really Sore Losers

"If winners say 'ha ha' and rub salt in the wound, that can also cause problems especially where people work," he says. Regardless of who wins, Kerry and Bush must come together, he says. "The problem with the last election is that this didn't happen because Vice President Al Gore was fighting tooth and nail with Bush," he says. "The leaders have to show people how to react."

This time around, "people must shake hands and say 'let's work together,'" he says.

And move on.

"The president is such a figurehead, but a lot of the issues that people care about are also states' issues," Butterworth says. "The issue that you care about shouldn't be put on hold for four more years," he adds.

"Even though the candidate that you are supporting may not be elected, the issues are still alive and you can focus on them on a grass roots level," he says. "When you give up or become cynical and drop out, the process grinds to a halt and your issues never do get addressed."

Zajonc agrees, adding that people should "build their own political habitat and really associate with more positive folks that look at the good that came out of election and build on the good things."

But there's even more you can do, she says.

"When there is a disappointment, the first thing you must do is take time and find something you love to do and have fun," suggests Zajonc.

And "take time and grieve," she says. "It's an essential step for renewal, and grieving really truly means crying and really understanding your sense of loss," she says. "It's like a death and in this case, it's the loss of a dream and that can mirror the loss just as though it were the death of a friend," she says. "You really have to understand this is an emotional big deal. Do not minimize the extent of your emotional feelings."

And, Butterworth adds, "turn off the TV for a while and, for the short term, escape politics and enjoy the holidays. Give yourself a political moratorium for two or three months, but don't forget the issue that you are involved in."

Invested Too Much Emotional Stock?

So how can you tell if you were too vested in this election?

Warning signs that perhaps you've invested too much emotional stock in this election include "feeling fatigued, stressed, despair with the news reports," points out Bedford, New Hampshire-based psychologist Pamela M. Brill, EdD. "For some, the physical signs of being too engaged include racing heart rate," she says. "When you get there, you can take that as a sign that it's time for a break, a literal breather."

So, "breathe [and] look for the roses -- the things over which you have control, then exert energy to turn those around," Brill says.

"Sour grapes, blaming the other party or candidate or their troops or the media -- waste of energy," Brill says. Find another pastime or passion, she suggests. "Go see those movies you missed while you were campaigning," she says. "Or rent a DVD and kick back with family and friends [because] letting go is much easier when we have other things to grab on to."

Published Nov. 2, 2004.

Originally posted by babar
I really feel very upset about this election. I don't mean that it wasn't fair, but I honestly felt that Bush needed to go. I felt it very strongly!!

How do I get past this? How can I feel I'm being spoken for or represented in this country? This is one of the worst days I can remember.....:(
Just be thankful you're not living in Fallujah. After this result, anyone living there should seriously start thinking about getting out, now.

Sorry, that's probably not going to make you feel any better.

Essentially, I agree with the article posted. I voted for Bush, but was prepared for a Kerry win. As I told my 6 year-old son, if the person we vote for doesn't win, we say congratulations to the other guy and hope that he makes the right decisions.

But as with anything, if you really do feel so strongly, get involved.

Originally posted by missypie
I didn't say I would ever act that way....I just said that last night as I felt so helpless and angry, I could see how in the extreme people with those feelings could become unhinged. THERE IS A REASON that terrorists act as they do...it may be an evil reason, it may be a disgusting reason, but the actual folks who blow themselves up must feel that this is the only way they can have an impact on the situation. Sure, they are pawns in the power of evil folks, but without anger and helplessness, no one would do that to themselves.

Why do you think I am dangerous because I understand someone else's emotions? Almost all of us can control our base and violent thoughts (we're all sinners); those who act on those are criminals.

Did you read about the most recent lady who cut off a guy's private part, after the guy had been abusive to her? Didn't you think for a moment "He deserved it." That doesn't mean that you would ever do such a thing...it means that you can understand how her emotions led to her act.

Did nothing ever happen to you that gave you insight into the motivations or feelings of others?

It concerns me that you even understand suicide bombers.

Not helpful, PolyCon...

I will simply say that NONE of us truly KNOW for sure that Bush is making the right or wrong moves on Iraq, for example. A reasonable person has to allow that there is evidence to support the actions taken, and evidence to suggest mistakes may have been made.

Such is life. THAT is what we all have to accept and get used to.

If you can't allow that you may very well be wrong, you do need to re-evaluate some things.

If the possibility exists that you may have been wrong, you can take genuine solace in that. Of course, that doesn't mean you don't continue to fight for what you believe in.

It just means that despair isn't the most productive route.

And yes, this is how I had prepared myself for the possibility of a Kerry win.

okay everyone, I'd be willing to be a lot of money that she did not mean she was going to suicide bomb anyone (and I'm broke;) )

Quit trying to turn this into something it's not. Everyone sees through it.:)

I absolutely understand.

I remember feeling numb and thinking it was inconceivable that Bush 41 wouldn't win re-election. Back in '92 the only way to gauge the climate in the country was to watch the news and read newspapers - no internet, no pundits, no daily poll fix, etc. I watched Clinton on tv and couldn't believe anyone would think he held a candle to GHWB. I think I was in shock for at least a week. Perhaps you had great confidence in Kerry but the polls since Aug have at least shown he was the underdog. I don't think his defeat is quite as shocking. Maybe that is just my take on it though. I don't think anything anyone can say will lessen your disappointment but I do hope that Bush tries really hard to unite this country again and I hope if the effort is made those on the left recognize it and also make the effort.

Suicide bombers and disapointed voters are completely different... I too find these comments upsetting (to say the least). The Plastine/Israel conflict goes back thousands of years... not a few months of voting. "Understanding" why a person would kill innosents (some of which could be my family in Israel) is NEVER a good thing. Feel rage, feel distructive... but don't assume that taking lives will change anything.

As a person, that is disturbing. As a Jew, that is terrifying.

In the course of my life time there have been elections that have been won by canidates that I've supported and also elections that have been lost by candidates I've supported. It is dissapointing when your candidate looses. But we are very fortunate that we live in a country where we accept what the nation has voted for...and move on. There will be no riots and no violence...and we as a civilized nation set the example for the rest of the world as a Democracy in action. These are historic times and while you may feel sadden at Kerry's loss, you can take pride in your nation...and in Kerry's doing the right thing, and not dragging this election out into a partisian divide.

demoseal.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter