• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sorry it's late - AKL update from last week.

mika911

DIS Veteran
I stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge last week. Many apologies, for not posting during or right after the stay.

People seemed to think I had made a bad decision to not move, when called by Disney 3 weeks, before departure, but we were so set on the AKL.

On check in early in the morning, no issue at all. It was never brought up, and there were plenty of guests mulling about. In the afternoon, I had a small issue in that they gave us a king bed room, but they moved us without a fuss at all.

I had a standard room booked, and that is what I got. However, I'd book it again. I had a beautiful view of the entrance, guests arriving, etc. Plus the walk from the entrance was incredibly short.

Construction sights/sounds: Yes, but if you didn't already know about it you might almost forget about it. In the lobby, if you look up there are black drapes around the fifth and sixth floors. There is also sometimes some sounds, coming from those upper floors, like some sawing, but it's not very loud. Furthermore, from my room I'd sometimes hear things, but if I hadn't known it was construction I would have thought it was another guest. It would sound like paintings moving on a wall, or cords rubbing against a wall, etc. Just small little sounds, again, I've heard worst from a room next door, etc.

You'd also see construction workers/security guards sometimes with hard hats, I don't know what they were doing, but they'd say hello and wish you a good day.

The lodge was still very busy as were the restaurants and marketplace.

I fell in love with the place. I'm going to try to write a review over in that section soon, but the lodge was one of my favorite parts of my first trip to WDW. I was a little disappointed in the parks, but I loved the AKL. It really was a beautiful place to stay. I loved sitting in the rocking chairs on the overlooks, so comfortable, and my room was very comfortable and clean too. The carpet looked brand new, when it was cleaned each day it smelled clean, etc.

Oh, I also had a cake delivered on arrival day. Came 10 minutes early. Yummy!!!!

I love the AKL. I want to go back. I might never get to try another resort. :( I'm quite picky about hotels too, Hyatts and whatnot often disappointment, but the AKL impressed me. It's a deluxe resort, no question.

Also note, the AKL has followed the other deluxes and they now have the more premium shampoo and conditioner, instead of the pink/red 2 in 1 that they all used to have.

Oh ,I love the walk up from the parking lot to the hotel entrance too. The path with sounds of Africa, green plants, twisting, etc. What a special moment as I arrived and walked up there.

The staff was also very friendly. Front desk staff not always super friendly, but everyone else was especially bell services, mouse-keeping, room service, etc.

Oh, there is a mean lady at the marketplace who screams at any kid who starts to play. We're both adults, so it didn't even happen to our kids our anything, but it was still offensive how mean the lady was to kids. I made sure never to get in her line to checkout.

Otherwise, what stay! Thanks AKL! You impressed me!

Thanks for such an in-depth review mika911. Did you spend any time out by the pool by any chance?

We're not pool goers. However, we went out by the overlooks, and you have to walk right by the pool, to get to the ones in that area. There were plenty of people using it. I wouldn't say it was overly crowded or anything, maybe even a little on the peaceful side, but it was being used no question, except when it rained.

Thanks for your review! We're staying at AKL in October and I'm so looking forward to it. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!

Lori

Thanks for the update. We will be there 9/22-9/27 and your report makes me feel much better.:goodvibes

We love the AKL too! We moved to GF for our trip next week but we will always come back to AKL. Glad you had a good trip.

The pool never closes. The lifeguards and slide will close at 8 or 9pm but the pool stays open for anyone who wants to use it at any time. We spent most night there until midnight or so after a day at the parks & dinner out. Heaven!!!

Thanks for the report Mika911!! DW and I will be staying there in 3 weeks:cool1: We have been debating about changing resorts. This will be our first deluxe resort stay and I think we will be fine. Construction or not, we will be at WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!:yay:

I'm soooooo glad you gave a good report. We will be going 9/7-9/14, for our disney wedding and honeymoon and I was so nervous about construction. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Thanks for the report, we will be there in November and I too was alittle worried. But your report makes me feel alot better!:goodvibes

What a relief! We are arriving at AKL on 9/14 and were concerned about the construction. Hearing this, I'm just going to ignore it and enjoy myself!

Thank you so very much for your review!! Did you see plenty of animals? We are staying in October and are very excited!

How late is the pool open there??? if anyone knows that answer

Hi

Last time we were there, the pool was open 24/7. There's no lifeguards on duty past a certain time (I don't know what it is) but you can go for a swim whenever you like!

I don't *think* they close it for cleaning but I'm sure someone else here would know for sure...

AKL will always be first in our hearts! It just seems so special. Love Boma, the Marketplace and the Mara. We are trying the Poly in October since our trip is very short and we are there mainly for MNSVSHP. Monorail will make the tired post-party ride to the resort a little quicker! Can't wait to stay at AKL again.:love:

I stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge last week. Many apologies, for not posting during or right after the stay.

I fell in love with the place. I'm going to try to write a review over in that section soon, but the lodge was one of my favorite parts of my first trip to WDW. I was a little disappointed in the parks, but I loved the AKL. It really was a beautiful place to stay. I loved sitting in the rocking chairs on the overlooks, so comfortable, and my room was very comfortable and clean too. The carpet looked brand new, when it was cleaned each day it smelled clean, etc.

Otherwise, what stay! Thanks AKL! You impressed me!

Thanks for posting.
What was your disappointment with the parks? Anything specific?

We stayed in June and had a great experience we most likely will be staying here on our next trip. We didnt have a problem with the people in the gift shop and all the CM there were very nice and we got to know one of them and always bought stuff at here counter. We did find one grumpy CM in the Mara but other than that they were great. Plus well out at the night goggle area there was a CM out there who wasnt on break and tottlaly not dueing here job but we met another CM out there who taught us about all the animals. The pool was great and the resort was always busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter