Sorry, but dogs aren't always welcomed

I'm reminded of when we took Winnie to an outdoor restaurant that welcomes dogs. THere were about 4 adults at a table and they had about 7 kids with them. The kids RAN up to Winnie (luckily she is a very calm dog) and started petting her without asking us...

While I would never let my kids pet anyone's dog without asking, I think that an animal is somewhat of an attractive nuisance. It doesn't make the kids ill behaved if they see you with a dog and they might want to pet it or be curious about it, especially if they see a dog in a place where it clearly does not belong although you were in a place where they were welcomed. I loved my dogs alot when we had them but I don't see any animal as equal to a human. So when someone thinks they have some sort of right to bring their dog wherever people gather it annoys me. You can love animals but not want to have them running at your crotch or licking your kids while you are walking through a store or festival. JMHO.

but (most) kids dont poo and pee on public property.

I love animals! but they ARE NOT HUMAN. They do NOT have the same rights as humans!

We all pay taxes, as humans. Animals do not pay taxes. Kids eventually will.

I dont even see comparission honestly. I dont mind animals in public, personally but I sure the grounds for not wanting them there.

Disneysteve's post reminded me of something that happened about a month ago. I work in an office and one weekend night one of my coworkers brought their dog in. It wasn't a seeing-eye dog or some other medically-necessary dog. It was a large labrador and my coworker had brought it in because her parents were out of town. She kept it on a leash and the leash tied to her chair for the eight hours she worked, during which the dog would jump up every time any of the other workers passed by. My coworker finally took the dog out at the end of the night to walk it, I guess.

She didn't ask anyone if she could bring her dog in, and I wondered if anybody who was allergic or deathly afraid of dogs would have had a major problem with it. Our major bosses don't work on weekends, so I'm sure that's why she did it then. But I think if somebody's allergic or afraid, like I said earlier, they should have the reasonable expectation that they should be able to perform their job without worrying about something like this. I mean, my DFi's father is allergic to cats--he probably would have had to leave work if somebody brought their cat in. Besides that, I wasn't quite sure why leaving a dog tied to a chair inside an office for eight hours was better than just leaving it in a backyard at home or something.

Let me say I love dogs, had one growing up, wish I could have one now.

But please let's stop comparing children to dogs!:confused3

The reason I do not have one now is that both of my children are deathly afraid or use to be. I dont know why as dogs have been around but they were/are.

DS9 has gotten much better over the years but still is not a dog fan but right DS4 is deathly afraid of dogs esp big ones (he is getting a little better since next door neighbors got a cockapoo!:thumbsup2 ) but when we go to DS9's baseball games there is always a t least one person there with their dog and now I have to move because my kid is afraid. And eveyone alwasy says "oh he wont bite" but that doesnt help that I now have a kid freaking out and trying to climb up my 5'2" frame to get away from the dog!

I think there are so many places that people can take their dogs nowadays that certain places like stores and abseball games that you shuld keep them home

I work in an office and one weekend night one of my coworkers brought their dog in. It wasn't a seeing-eye dog or some other medically-necessary dog. It was a large labrador and my coworker had brought it in because her parents were out of town. She kept it on a leash and the leash tied to her chair for the eight hours she worked, during which the dog would jump up every time any of the other workers passed by. My coworker finally took the dog out at the end of the night to walk it, I guess.

She didn't ask anyone if she could bring her dog in,

Well, I'm shocked!;) I thought only parents and children suffered from the entitlement-mentality. ;) ;) I guess this post proves that other adults suffer from it as well. ;) ;) Who knew?:rotfl2:

True your dog might very well be more behaved then lots....but not most adults. Usually dogs are more behaved than children, especially nowadays where kids as well as their parents feel a certain entitlement. My dogs are not going to pick their noses, cough on people, throw a tantrum when I say no, take product from the store shelve and hide it in their stroller, stare inappropriately, talk back, pee wherever (as witnessed by many on these boards) shall I go on?
I love animals and was trying to stay out of this debate, but it's not working. While I agree YOUR dog probably won't pick his nose, throw a tantrum, etc. I have seen/known quite a few dogs who will eat anything, including their own poop. I don't want their poopy-tongue on myself or DS2, especially when they lick your face/lips :eek: . Dogs do sneeze, and I have yet to see one who covers his mouth when he does, so the germs are still flying like they might with a young child. I have seen dogs at Petco and other stores chew on things/put holes in them and the owners just put the items back on the shelf and walk away like nothing happened :sad2: .

We have a guy who brings his dog to work every day. I was pretty horrified at first, but I have gotten used to it. The dog is very well behaved, and no problem at all. He also has been abused in the past, and has severe separation anxiety, which is why the owner brings him to work.

I posted on another thread today that I was bitten yesterday by a dog "who would never ever bite anyone," and I have the tetanus shot and moth-shaped brusie to prove it. Dogs are unpredicatable. I don't have any problem with dogs, as long as they are being properly controlled at all times.

And no, dogs are not children, they are pets. No matter how much we love them, the rest of the world should not have to deal or interact with our animals if they don't want to. As humans, we have to interact with other human beings, whether we like how they behave or not.

I like my dog. In fact I like her better than most people. But I do not confuse her with a person. She is a dog, and there are places that it just isn't a good idea to take her. Some people are affraid of dogs, or have allergies, or in the case of a garage sale, I couldn't be sure that breakable items would be safe from her tail! (she's cleared off my coffee table more than once, just walking by!).

What amazes me are the people who bring their dogs to the farmer's market, and allow them to bark and lunge for people. And they just make excuses for the dog. One irish setter took a loaf of bread off of one of the tables a couple of weeks ago. And the owner was put out that she had to pay for it.

I like dogs and enjoy being around them, but they don't belong everywhere.

I agree there are very bad dogs (because the owners never trained them) just as there are very bad children ….lets not fool ourselves thinking that there are not. The problem is if we are talking about public spaces you cannot simply say because I have children then there should be no dogs because of x, y an z. We are talking about outside public spaces….I wish I could tell all the smokers to leave the park too but its public they have every right to be there.
We could go on and on…I have witnessed many children at target and my store stick things in their strollers, watch children run their tongue on railings that my hand is going to use to get onto a ride at Disney, do all sorts of disgusting behaviors but the fact remains it is still public space.

I was in a shoe store the other day and a dog lunged out of a child's backpack at my son (they grabbed the dog but we were scared). A terrier type. I was horrified. The kid laughed and the mother just smiled. It was weired, you walk into a store and you have to worry about being bit by a dog. So I asked the kid behind the register (who did no care about the dog or the fact he could have bit my son) what would happen if I brought in my scarey looking german shepard? They just stared at me. So I guess if your dog is cute and small you can bring him in stores. My dog wouldn't hurt a fly regardless of her looks but I would never bring her in a store-it would freak the kids out and mainly, it is not allowed.

I love dogs (I have two and would have more if I could afford it) but please do not compare dogs to children. If you have a dog and a child, you would realize they are not the same thing. Not even close. It is insulting to compare children to dogs. I find it offending (regardless of how badly behaved a child is).

I have seen that most people who compare their dogs to children dont have children.

I have seen that most people who compare their dogs to children dont have children.

We probably do, but that shows you no matter how cute you may find a child’s action to be, we might not and it should not be assumed that we do find it endearing. Nor should we be expected to think so….I could start a whole other thread of why people think it is ok to bring children to an adult only gathering or why they get offended when we suggest that an event is adult only. It just depends where you sit in life. I will stand by however the sentiment that if it is a public street or park (where many craft fairs take place) then both dogs and children should be allowed.

Well, I dont think it is cute or endearing if someones kid or my own is behaving badly. I never would expect anyone to find my kids cute or endearing but there is a definate distinction kids are humans dogs are animals. kids have more of a right to be somewhere than a dog does, regardless of who pays taxes, just because they are human and that is their human right. Same as I would never bring my kids to an adult only gathering. I walk with my kids down the street with my dog we all go to the park too, but a street fair or somewhere there is a large concentration of people my dog is not coming. I know my dog's I know they would not bite but they are still unpredictable they do have a mind of their own and they do have off days. I would never put myself or my friends (my dogs) in that position for fear that if something happened, if they bit someone or someones child. I would never forgive myself if my pet had to be put down becuase they bit someone, because I put them in a bad position.

We probably do, but that shows you no matter how cute you may find a child’s action to be, we might not and it should not be assumed that we do find it endearing. Nor should we be expected to think so….I could start a whole other thread of why people think it is ok to bring children to an adult only gathering or why they get offended when we suggest that an event is adult only. It just depends where you sit in life. I will stand by however the sentiment that if it is a public street or park (where many craft fairs take place) then both dogs and children should be allowed.

I agree. :thumbsup2 I've read this thread with some interest, and wasn't going to get into it, but the dog/kid comparisons moved me...I love my mutt. I will do anything for him and treat him like a child. He is well behaved, well trained and has never bitten anyone, but I will never tell someone he won't. He is a dog. He may hate you immediately. He loves kids and women, but is always wary of men. Men in hats and beards most especially. I also love kids, but I will leave any store where a child is allowed to scream, cry, run around, otherwise misbehave or is obviously out of control. They aren't cute, and their behavior speaks volumes about the parents. BTW, we take our dog wherever he is welcome.:goodvibes

We could go on and on…I have witnessed many children at target and my store stick things in their strollers, watch children run their tongue on railings that my hand is going to use to get onto a ride at Disney, do all sorts of disgusting behaviors but the fact remains it is still public space.

Target and WDW are not public spaces, they are private businesses.
Human beings have rights under the consitution, dogs do not.
Target, WDW etc can not by law discriminate against a group of humans.
They can and do however forbid non service animals on the property.
Your dog is not human and does not have human rights.

I myself have not read all the posts here, but I will try to do so.
I have a good friend who's life just revolves around her dog....not her husband or her son...just her dog. Now that is all fine and well, BUT I am deathly afraid of dogs, and I have told her this time and time again....I was attached several times as a child, one was an ex-police dog, I was walking down the street and he broke loose from his chain and jumped on my back, clawing me all from the top of my neck all the way down the bottom of my legs! and another one broke loose and tore off half my ear as a child.

I always temble when a dog is near me, and my friend just lets her huskey sit on me....I am so afraid I cannot move!! she thinks it is all a joke!

I just wish if dog owners know that someone dislikes dogs, I wish they would repect my post tramaic stress that I have over them!! Not everyone likes dogs, and not everyone cares to be around them all the time....sorry:confused3

always temble when a dog is near me, and my friend just lets her huskey sit on me....I am so afraid I cannot move!! she thinks it is all a joke!

That does not seem like a very good friend. :sad2:

I always temble when a dog is near me, and my friend just lets her huskey sit on me....I am so afraid I cannot move!! she thinks it is all a joke!

How, as a grown adult, can you allow someone to "let" her dog sit on you? :confused3

Target and WDW are not public spaces, they are private businesses.
Human beings have rights under the consitution, dogs do not.
Target, WDW etc can not by law discriminate against a group of humans.
They can and do however forbid non service animals on the property.
Your dog is not human and does not have human rights.

Thank you this is what I was trying to say!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter