Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom??

Travelingdad

Mouseketeer
Okay, I just stumbled across this accidentally. I had no idea it even existed but it looks really fun. I am going to be at WDW in 7 days and want to do this with the family. Before I start changing plans, a few questions for anyone that knows.

1. I saw it was supposed to start the end of February, has it been kicked off and started?

2. Is it running consistantly or any start up glitches shutting it down?

3. Besides showing up at firestation on Main Street to get started is anything else required - registration, sign up, etc.?

4. Without ruining the suprise, has it been fun?

5. I have the Family Tour scheduled and am wondering if this has a a similar feel to it.

Thanks everyone!
:wizard::wizard::wizard:

1. Yes.

2. Running constantly.

3. Nope, just bring your park ticket. You can also sign up with a shorter line at a location right behind the Christmas shop in Liberty Square, near Tiana's gazebo.

4. Yes.

5. This is a game that requires you to go to twenty or so different locations across four lands, but you do it at your own pace. It is not a tour.

5. This is a game that requires you to go to twenty or so different locations across four lands, but you do it at your own pace. It is not a tour.

If I understand correctly each point where you interact in the game is called a portal and that there is a map showing where they are.
Do the portals have to be done in a certain order, or can you do the portal(s) in the whatever area you happen to be?

If I understand correctly each point where you interact in the game is called a portal and that there is a map showing where they are.
Do the portals have to be done in a certain order, or can you do the portal(s) in the whatever area you happen to be?

When you sign up, you will be given a land to start in and told what portal to go to first. You can request a certain land to begin in. You will be directed to each portal (with maybe one exception) in a land before defeating the villain there and going to the next land.

Once the game begins, each portal tells you which one to go to next. This is different for every player as far as I know. If you go to the wrong portal, that portal will tell you which one you should be at.

We played 2 days this week and really love it. You get cards the size of baseball cards. Lots of people have the baseball card pages/notebooks to keep the cards in. There are a total of 70 cards. Collecting the cards is as much fun as going to the portals. Each card has a different spell that you use to defeat your villain. We had 6 people in our party and only my 11 year old DD was playing. She was able to collect most of the cards. Others are willing to trade, so separate out your duplicates. One entire quest requires you to defeat 9 villains, then you "level up". It took us a very long time to do the entire quest with the crowds, but it was fun. Wish we had another opportunity in the near future, but our next trip isn't until 2013.

We played this when we were there for Mardi Gras. You can get 5 new cards each day you play to add to your collection. There are 70 cards but you will not be able to collect all 70 even if you are there for an extended stay because the last ones numbered 61-70 are no longer being put into circulation. Those were the first cards they issued during the testing phase of the game and then they quit handing them out.

We got this information from the many cast members that were visiting the parks on their personal time to play the game. My girls were bummed because one of the cards they really wanted was Mama Odie from the Princess and the frog because we are from the New Orleans area. Tiana stopped to talk to them while they were training with their cards and told them those cards were the best so they knew Mama Odie had a card but they could never find one to trade for. Also if you have a daughter who tries to collect all the princess cards be warned that Ariels card was one of those cards as well.

We also learned from cast members that were playing that you can use up to 7 cards at once but they have to be held properly for the portal to see them all. Combining spells has different effects and using the matching Prince and Princess cards is supposed to be more powerful.

We tried to play last Sunday (3/18) but the lines for each portal were REALLY long. I think the problem is that the spiel that you listen to at each portal is way too long so it's takes a long time for the line to go down. It would have taken us a great deal of our time at MK to finish. We have done the similar 'Mid-Ship Detective Agency' game on the DCL Dream and it seems to go much faster due to the quicker info and clues.

I want to do this. Hoping to go at the end of April - waiting to find cheaper airfare.

We did the Kim Possible missions at Epcot and loved it. This seems right up our alley.

We tried to play last Sunday (3/18) but the lines for each portal were REALLY long. I think the problem is that the spiel that you listen to at each portal is way too long so it's takes a long time for the line to go down. It would have taken us a great deal of our time at MK to finish. We have done the similar 'Mid-Ship Detective Agency' game on the DCL Dream and it seems to go much faster due to the quicker info and clues.

I think MDA goes faster because of fewer people playing it. I remember each portal taking about the same amount of time to complete, but not waiting nearly as long in line to get to it.

Also, those stations could be done in any order, so we tended to do all the ones near each other: the aft stairwell, then the forward ones, then the rest. SotMK doesn't give you that option, and has sometimes had us going back and forth across a land rather than letting us check them off as we passed them.

We had the chance to play the game on our recent visit in April. I think it is a clever idea and the cards are great, a chance for the secondary and minor characters to get some spotlight. My son really liked the interactiveness of it. The portals are pretty amazing. With many of them being outdoors and exposed to the sunlight and crowd noises I was impressed how clear and bright the videos were and how good the sound quality was.

Having said that, it is definately a game for the local residents. The time it takes is pretty significant. Even in Fantasyland where the portals are close by it took more time that I expected. For us the time it took away from our couple of days at MK wasn't worth it so we stopped at a few but didn't really commit to the game.

The other thing I noted was it seemed it was mainly adults into it, most of them had binders full of cards and were looking to find the few they didn't have. Reinforced the value to local residents, being able to come to the park often or pop in for a few hours with a season pass makes playing easy. I can see this adding something new for that crowd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter