Sooooo Bummed Out

DisneyCookie24

Planning my Big Day in the Wonderful World of Disn
So here's the story...

In the very beginning, we booked a wedding for Swan and Dolphin. We were going to do the reception at one of the restaurants afterward, until we realized that we are having more people attend than we initially thought (which is great!). The restaurants there really didn't fit our numbers that well so we nixed the reception at the Swan idea.

In the meantime, I had come across the boards and was able to do a bunch of research on DFTWs (thanks to all of you wonderful people!) and I decided that we could probably pull it off there after all and still be within our budget.

Unfortunately, at this point, we can't cancel our ceremony at the Swan, which is fine with us because we love the location. So we decided to try for the reception at ADH, and we got it, and it all works out great since they are sooooo close to eachother... I actually LOVE how it had worked out, almost like I planned it :) haha.

So fast forward a few months... I emailed to see when I would get our annual passes. Turns out that we don't get them since we are not doing a ceremony. I am truly devastated because we have no room in our budget for anything else.... I don't know if we will be able to go to the parks now... and I feel like this is all a waste because why go get married at Disney if you don't get to enjoy the parks a bit???

They told me that I am not considered a Wishes wedding. But I am really depressed about this because we are bound to (and are far exceeding) allll the same minimums that a Wishes wedding is required to have, I just chose to put that money to the reception, and not the ceremony...

Sorry to rant to you all, I was just so disappointed to hear that. I'm sure we will figure something out, but I feel like we won't get to go to the parks while we are there... and I also feel like we aren't that special because we are not have a wishes wedding, or an escape wedding... our wedding doesn't even get a category... :sad2:

Aww cookie that really is a shame!!! I agree it is a bit mean-spirited of DFTW to deny you the passes, when you are exceeding the minimum for a Wishes wedding. Escape brides and grooms receive the APs too and their minimums will be far lower than you will be forking out!!!

That is such a disappointment. You mentioned you emailed about the passes, have you tried calling and talking to different people to get a resolution. You never know what good might come out of it if you are persistent.

Aww cookie that really is a shame!!! I agree it is a bit mean-spirited of DFTW to deny you the passes, when you are exceeding the minimum for a Wishes wedding. Escape brides and grooms receive the APs too and their minimums will be far lower than you will be forking out!!!

Thanks Tinkerbell! It really helps me feel better just knowing that someone out there agrees with me :) Part of me thought maybe I was just being selfish, even though I know better!

That is such a disappointment. You mentioned you emailed about the passes, have you tried calling and talking to different people to get a resolution. You never know what good might come out of it if you are persistent.

Thanks for the advice FigmentFan! Yes, I emailed my wedding planner about it and her assistant emailed me back. I think I am going to call the sales rep that I dealt with in the very beginning, because she was absolutely wonderful when I was working with her, and she would probably know better I think. Beside, you are right, you never know unless you try!

Thanks again!

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time getting annual passes. I agree, I think you should get them if you're going to be spending a lot of money on the reception. And ya know, the ceremonies don't cost a lot of money anyway, it's the reception that costs the most, especially for a Wishes wedding. I am getting married at the WP and reception at ADH and all of our money is going to the reception. So I don't know why they won't give you the AP because you're spending the most amount of money on the reception EITHER WAY. :confused3

If it doesn't work out for you, have you thought about using the Disney Honeymoon Registry? You could sign up for it and that way people can get you gifts on it, and then you could get your tickets and still be able to go to the parks.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. If dftw gave AP's out to everyone who had a reception with them, no-one would have a ceremony with them. Everyone would opt for the cheaper option. Dftw didnt make u spend so much on a reception that was your choice. I believe the ap's were a bonus up until recently and weren't listed as standard. You should never assume and base your budgets on those assumptions.

Can I ask how many people you have? And do you mean you are meeting the over all minimum price for a wishes wedding just at your reception?

So here's the story...

In the very beginning, we booked a wedding for Swan and Dolphin. We were going to do the reception at one of the restaurants afterward, until we realized that we are having more people attend than we initially thought (which is great!). The restaurants there really didn't fit our numbers that well so we nixed the reception at the Swan idea.

In the meantime, I had come across the boards and was able to do a bunch of research on DFTWs (thanks to all of you wonderful people!) and I decided that we could probably pull it off there after all and still be within our budget.

Unfortunately, at this point, we can't cancel our ceremony at the Swan, which is fine with us because we love the location. So we decided to try for the reception at ADH, and we got it, and it all works out great since they are sooooo close to eachother... I actually LOVE how it had worked out, almost like I planned it :) haha.

So fast forward a few months... I emailed to see when I would get our annual passes. Turns out that we don't get them since we are not doing a ceremony. I am truly devastated because we have no room in our budget for anything else.... I don't know if we will be able to go to the parks now... and I feel like this is all a waste because why go get married at Disney if you don't get to enjoy the parks a bit???

They told me that I am not considered a Wishes wedding. But I am really depressed about this because we are bound to (and are far exceeding) allll the same minimums that a Wishes wedding is required to have, I just chose to put that money to the reception, and not the ceremony...

Sorry to rant to you all, I was just so disappointed to hear that. I'm sure we will figure something out, but I feel like we won't get to go to the parks while we are there... and I also feel like we aren't that special because we are not have a wishes wedding, or an escape wedding... our wedding doesn't even get a category... :sad2:

that is a bummer...i am soo sorry for you! you said it right. why have a wedding at disneyland if you can't even enojoy the parks, they should let you have those AP's and call it a wishes wedding if you have done all the requirments... that is just crazyness... i am sorry, but i am sure your wedding will be great anyway

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time getting annual passes. I agree, I think you should get them if you're going to be spending a lot of money on the reception. And ya know, the ceremonies don't cost a lot of money anyway, it's the reception that costs the most, especially for a Wishes wedding. I am getting married at the WP and reception at ADH and all of our money is going to the reception. So I don't know why they won't give you the AP because you're spending the most amount of money on the reception EITHER WAY. :confused3

If it doesn't work out for you, have you thought about using the Disney Honeymoon Registry? You could sign up for it and that way people can get you gifts on it, and then you could get your tickets and still be able to go to the parks.

The Disney Honeymoon Registry is definitely an idea. I had completely forgot about that too. It's definitely worth a shot. I know we will find a way to get to the parks one way or the other. DF is a military veteran and they just released a good deal for them as well. The whole thing was just a shock to me and got me a little down I guess. Thanks for the advice and input!:goodvibes

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. If dftw gave AP's out to everyone who had a reception with them, no-one would have a ceremony with them. Everyone would opt for the cheaper option. Dftw didnt make u spend so much on a reception that was your choice. I believe the ap's were a bonus up until recently and weren't listed as standard. You should never assume and base your budgets on those assumptions.

I definitely understand what you are saying about them just giving away AP's to just anyone and I agree. It's more the fact that when I called and booked a wishes wedding I thought I was getting a wishes wedding. It is in my LOA that I HAVE to meet all the WISHES minimum expenditures. And I do not see anywhere that it says that for a wishes wedding that I have a minimum requirement for the ceremony portion of the day, I am still re-looking over everything so I may have missed it and I will be the first to admit that may very well be the case. It just says I have a $12,000 minimum for the day of, and the F&B minimums.

It's not that I think I am entitled to the AP's just because I am spending as much as someone with a wishes wedding, it's that it is was, to my understanding, that I booked a wishes wedding and according to the website, and what I was told by Disney, that is part of the package.

Anyways, I really didn't mean to offend anyone by it, (can't tell if I did or not) I was just down about it and wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on it, and I appreciate yours too, thanks!

Can I ask how many people you have? And do you mean you are meeting the over all minimum price for a wishes wedding just at your reception?

I have about 85 people, and yes, I am meeting my minimums in just the reception. I know, crazy right!? But with the food, alcohol, DJ, and cake it definitely all added up with that many people.

that is a bummer...i am soo sorry for you! you said it right. why have a wedding at disneyland if you can't even enojoy the parks, they should let you have those AP's and call it a wishes wedding if you have done all the requirments... that is just crazyness... i am sorry, but i am sure your wedding will be great anyway

Thanks for the thoughts! I know we will get to the parks regardless, but the APs would have helped out big time! That way if we wanted to meet one group of people at a park for just an hour or so, we could do so and not have to worry about burning a whole day of a park hopper... We have a TON of people going and they are gonna be ALL over the place so it just would have helped us get to spend more time with all our guests the week of the wedding. Oh well. Thanks again!

And I forgot to say YAY! for another ADH wedding! Congrats!

i'm sorry about your frustration - it's just annoying when things go differently then you expect! so i'm sorry for the surprise.

but just a question, about what you just said - and you can disregard obviously - but you have a WISHES WEDDING/DFTW CONTRACT with a wedding at the S&D? that seems weird! but i would rethink my original conclusion if you have a wishes wedding contract with disney. they don't seem to go together, but are you saying you booked the reception thru DFTW, following the wedding minimums as you stated, and basically all agreed to just skip over the ceremony part as you were doing that in a separate arrangement with S&D? if that's the case, I would be kinda pissed too - i think if that were the case, i would expect the other perks as well or really DFTW shouldn't be booking those "types" of events. you could book them through their other planning/event coordinators. if they book through DFTW that certainly raises an expectation whereas booking through general events - even if the things you booked were from the DFTW "catalog" - would avoid the confusion...

that said, i understand military discounts are rightfully insane. good luck!

i'm sorry about your frustration - it's just annoying when things go differently then you expect! so i'm sorry for the surprise.

but just a question, about what you just said - and you can disregard obviously - but you have a WISHES WEDDING/DFTW CONTRACT with a wedding at the S&D? that seems weird! but i would rethink my original conclusion if you have a wishes wedding contract with disney. they don't seem to go together, but are you saying you booked the reception thru DFTW, following the wedding minimums as you stated, and basically all agreed to just skip over the ceremony part as you were doing that in a separate arrangement with S&D? if that's the case, I would be kinda pissed too - i think if that were the case, i would expect the other perks as well or really DFTW shouldn't be booking those "types" of events. you could book them through their other planning/event coordinators. if they book through DFTW that certainly raises an expectation whereas booking through general events - even if the things you booked were from the DFTW "catalog" - would avoid the confusion...

that said, i understand military discounts are rightfully insane. good luck!

Yes, that is pretty much exactly it. Haha and yes it is weird that I am having a ceremony at the Swan. That happened because I really didn't know about the DFTW option until I had already booked the Swan ceremony, and when I learned about Disney's options and that I could have it at ADH, I couldn't cancel Swan without losing a decent amount of money, and that's when I decided to do both... I know, a bit complicated...

But with all that being said, I do have an official DFTW LOA, and I am required to meet all the minimums of a wishes wedding, I have the whole room block thing goin on, I am getting a DJ through them, everything but the ceremony really, and I have all the rules and guidelines of a Wishes wedding. In the planning process, I was given all of the information for Wishes Weddings. I have paid my 12,000 minimum already, just received my initial BEO and Budget. It was booked through DFTW and I spoke to the Wishes wedding people, had a planning session, spoke with floral, all the works. But I guess where I get confused, is that I don't see anywhere on my contract that it states it is a "Wishes" wedding, just a DFTW... but I didn't think there was anything other than a wishes or escape wedding at Disney world when you go through DFTW. So yeah, a lot of confusion.

It was my wedding planners assistant that told me that I didn't get them and that it wasn't a Wishes wedding. So, I am hoping that she is mistaken. I am going to call my actual planner, Amy, and/or my sales rep Diane and see what they say. Maybe this is all a misunderstanding.

Thank you so much for your input, it helped a ton. :thumbsup2

I think this is their official policy...can't say that it is fair that you have to meet wishes minimums but don't get wishes perks. Another bride who is having an offsite ceremony was told this recently as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter