Soooo stirfry

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I know, I know there are a million recipes on how to ruin my lovely veggies with awful sauces online, it would only take a second to google and ruin $10-20 in food. I would like nice recipes for veggie centric so if anyone has a few please share because I have 4 containers of veggies and am drawing a blank.

What’s wrong with bottled sauces for stir frys?

My standard veggies for stir frys are celery, baby carrots, red bell peppers, and sweet onions. Sometimes zucchini and broccoli are added or substituted for the others.

I start with the celery and carrots in the wok because they take the longest to get tender, maybe 10-12 minutes. Then I add the zucchini and/or broccoli if using, then the peppers and finally the onions. The sauce is then added and only cooked for another minute or so.

Broccoli sucks up the oil big time. I often have to add more.

Oh, sometimes I add snow pea pods too.

Any meat is cooked separately first, set aside, then thrown back in the wok right before the sauce.

What’s wrong with bottled sauces for stir frys?

My standard veggies for stir frys are celery, baby carrots, red bell peppers, and sweet onions. Sometimes zucchini and broccoli are added or substituted for the others.

I start with the celery and carrots in the wok because they take the longest to get tender, maybe 10-12 minutes. Then I add the zucchini and/or broccoli if using, then the peppers and finally the onions. The sauce is then added and only cooked for another minute or so.

Broccoli sucks up the oil big time. I often have to add more.

Oh, sometimes I add snow pea pods too.

Any meat is cooked separately first, set aside, then thrown back in the wok right before the sauce.
Sadly, I get raging migraines from bottle anything. Every now and again I try, like I really enjoy the Maya Kaimal Madras Curry but the aftermath is rough. Never thought of zucchini in there but I'll try tomorrow. Tonight I ended up with a Mongolian Beef recipe.

I've been using this recipe for peanut sauce:

2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Sambal Oelek (could probably use whatever hot sauce you wanted or not at all)

I typically use it with tofu, but I would think any other protein would be good too. Usually my stirfry is heavy on shredded cabbage (usually in the form of bagged coleslaw) and than whatever other vegetables I happen to have.

I make a peanut stirfry sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cayenne pepper, and ginger. We really like it on veggies.
Yum! Would this work on noodles, too? I love peanut noodles! (What kind of noodles would you buy?)

I made a quickie chicken and veggie stir fry over white rice last week and used bottled marinade. (And frozen mixed vegetables.) It was good that night, but even better the next day. Sorry, Luv, that you can’t tolerate the bottled dressings.

We sometimes make a marinade that has soy sauce, brown sugar, orange juice and fresh garlic, and it is delish. Maybe give that a try!

Yum! Would this work on noodles, too? I love peanut noodles! (What kind of noodles would you buy?)

I made a quickie chicken and veggie stir fry over white rice last week and used bottled marinade. (And frozen mixed vegetables.) It was good that night, but even better the next day. Sorry, Luv, that you can’t tolerate the bottled dressings.

We sometimes make a marinade that has soy sauce, brown sugar, orange juice and fresh garlic, and it is delish. Maybe give that a try!

Yes, good on noodles and proteins as well. I typically use thinner or rice noodles, but I think it probably tastes good on anything:)

One lb of frozen or fresh spinach,stemless
1/2 cup of basil(Italian or Thai), cilantro, and parsley
2 garlic cloves
2 TB peeled ginger, grated

Run through food processor until well chopped and combined. Place in ice cube tray and freeze. Place an ice cube in pan after contents have been stir fried and mix well. Good for rice and/or veggies. Add sesame oil to taste and serve.

So our basic stir fry marinade for meat and vegetables is usually a mix of soy sauce and ginger and then the cornstarch slurry to thicken. However in the past few months we have tried both of the bottled PFChangs sauces currently available in our area (Kung Pao and Teriyaki) and both are excellent!

Last edited:
Sadly, I get raging migraines from bottle anything. Every now and again I try, like I really enjoy the Maya Kaimal Madras Curry but the aftermath is rough. Never thought of zucchini in there but I'll try tomorrow. Tonight I ended up with a Mongolian Beef recipe.

Do you know what's in the bottle giving you headaches (so we don't suggest things that will cause the same thing)? Sodium, a preservative, MSG, etc?

I know, I know there are a million recipes on how to ruin my lovely veggies with awful sauces online, it would only take a second to google and ruin $10-20 in food. I would like nice recipes for veggie centric so if anyone has a few please share because I have 4 containers of veggies and am drawing a blank.

If you are looking for sauces without a bunch of added garbage in them check out Primal Kitchen. We get a lot of their sauces but for stir fry check out Sesame Ginger and No Soy Teriyaki. You might be able to find them locally (Whole Foods would have some of them) but they have pretty good deals online.

Thanks for a few to try! Trying to cut down on meats and these will work!

Do you know what's in the bottle giving you headaches (so we don't suggest things that will cause the same thing)? Sodium, a preservative, MSG, etc?
I really wish I knew but it's probably an additive of some kind that is in virtually everything premade because I can't isolate it out. I can do little bits of sauces like Chick-Fil-A, BBQ, Low sodium soy, broth or Saucy Susan but that's about as far as I can go. Even some powdered spices will get me so like powdered onion or garlic and imitation anything like vanilla, it's odd to say the least.

Thanks for a few to try! Trying to cut down on meats and these will work!

I really wish I knew but it's probably an additive of some kind that is in virtually everything premade because I can't isolate it out. I can do little bits of sauces like Chick-Fil-A, BBQ, Low sodium soy, broth or Saucy Susan but that's about as far as I can go. Even some powdered spices will get me so like powdered onion or garlic and imitation anything like vanilla, it's odd to say the least.

If that's the case, have you thought about dropping the container of veg on a parchment lined sheet, using some salt/pepper/olive oil, and then roasting for 30 minutes at 350, then checking and flipping if needed and cooking (0-30 min) til it's finished?:) You could have it as is, or finish it with some lemon/orange juice, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs, and/or soy sauce depending on the veg types and have it with rice on the side. So, fewer "premade bottles" of anything, and you can isolate what might bother you by having just one "add" at a time...

Not exactly stir fry, but still very healthy and veg forward...

PS - If it's frozen or canned veg (vs fresh), this can still work, but it's gonna be very "what type of veg" dependent...

We have tried a number of sauces from here that have all been good. I haven't managed to try them all yet. I like that they mention specifically what types of foods the go well with, whether it is shrimp or beef or veggies or whatever.

Gourmet Grub 15 Basic Stir Fry Sauce Recipes

And then they came out with 15 more

15 MORE Stir-Fry Sauce Recipes

ETA: Some of these recipes make a lot of sauce. You may want to halve a recipe, depending upon how much you are making. I know that I have a note written on the Basic Stir Fry Sauce recipe that I use a half recipe for chicken, veggies, and two packages of the shelf-stable udon noodles, which produces a fairly large amount of food.

Last edited:
I make a peanut stirfry sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cayenne pepper, and ginger. We really like it on veggies.

I've been using this recipe for peanut sauce:

2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Sambal Oelek (could probably use whatever hot sauce you wanted or not at all)

I typically use it with tofu, but I would think any other protein would be good too. Usually my stirfry is heavy on shredded cabbage (usually in the form of bagged coleslaw) and than whatever other vegetables I happen to have.

Peanut sauce worked great with sauteed Healthy 8 and rice, baked some chicken chunks and put those on top too. I was looking to see how long to cook it and discovered it's no cook so low smell, a plus & discovered some people add lime, a bit of rice wine vinegar and coconut milk to cut the peanut flavor so I did and it was a hit because it was a bit mild. Family loved it!

Last edited:
Just bell peppers and onions for me. I use to slice the onions thin like you'd see on asandwich, but more recently I've been cutting them wide. There are a variety of ways to season it. Maybe soy sauce or something like a Creole seasoning. Maybe just salt and black pepper.

There's a lot of tyramines in bottled sauces. That might be the problem. @LuvOrlando
That's a really good point, there are so many possible culprits, I'll keep an eye out for overlap.

Last week, to help with the changes, we decided to try a ship to home meal service with sale prices and it's added variety and reduced the cost of revamping and reduced the stress quite a bit. I picked a low calorie option so it's been helpful, these changes can be really stressful to me.

I shifted away from wheat to rice and cut meats way down on the plates plus added much more vegetables and am feeling much improved.

There was a recipe which added a miso base which caused a near instant arthritis flare a few days back though, or at least I think it was the sauce but it's always proprietary so tough to say. At any rate, it was really rough for about 2 hours then lifted, this sometimes happens with salmon I've made with a powdered blend and sometimes ground beef but I can't nail it down if it's the seasoning or the base because it's not a constant. I do try premade sauces every now and again and sometimes it's ok and other's it's not. I just wish I had an answer.

Last night we did the asparagus, mushroom and onion stir-fry with rice and leftover homemade mongolian-beef sauce, this was an extra side dish. Day before it was rice prepared with fresh ginger and garlic which was delicious.

Sooo as usual DH is already down about 8 lbs, he jumped in both feet. Why doesn't this go as fast for women, I'm not even looking at the scale because it's totally not going to go as quick and I'll get bummed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter