Sony a6000 or Sony RX100?

TeamSy

DIS Veteran
My current camera is a Sony HX1 that I purchased in 2009 and I think it's time I upgrade. I'll start by saying I know NOTHING about camera's, different lenses, etc. I just want nice pictures lol. I happen to like Sony because every camera I've had is a Sony and I find them very easy to use.

So I think I narrowed my new camera down to either a Sony a6000 or an RX100. I think, from what I've found, is that the a6000 has the option to change lenses, which is something I'll most likely never do (if I go with this I'll most likely buy the bundle that comes with the lens and just use that). And here come my very non-technical terms… how does the lens that comes with it compare to what I'm used to on the HX1?

I mostly keep my camera on the auto setting and want something that's not very bulky. The a6000 seems a little advanced for me and the RX100 seems like it's more like what I'm used to, however, I like that the a7000 takes DSLR quality photos without the big bulky camera and having to understand too much. I mostly just use the camera for when we go on vacations.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction that would be awesome!!

Both take really good pics. Go to flickr and search the photos from each. A6000 is superior in every way except for maybe the kit lens it ships with.

If you are never going to change lenses then a fixed-lens camera (Rx100) is probably a better choice.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? I have the Sony HX1 now and the 20x optical zoom is pretty amazing. I can't seem to find something smaller yet still offers that. Someone mentioned the Nikon 1 J4 because you can get a lens for that which ranges 10-100mm (I think), so it's a broad range rather than having to switch lenses. The lens on the RX100 seems small, but maybe I'm not reading it correctly. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!!

Do you want high quality images or a long telephoto zoom?
You can't have both, especially not in a compact package. The dslr lenses that give a similar level of telephoto zoom reach are about 5 pounds and require a tripod.
The quick explanation: image quality is all about sensor size (as well as lens quality, lens aperture). A tiny sensor gives poor image quality, but it can produce a huge telephoto reach with a small lens. A big sensor produces much higher quality, but it requires a much much bigger lens to produce telephoto reach.

The RX100 sensor is much bigger than the HX cameras, about 4 times the size. It is a much more capable camera in low light, it will have far more dynamic range. It also has an excellent lens.

The a6000 has an even bigger sensor. The same size sensor found in most dslrs. It's a little larger than the Rx100. Potentially, it can have much better image quality than the rx100.... But....

The rx100 has a better lens than the a6000 bundled lens. The lens is also a huge factor in determining image quality. On balance, the rx100 will produce image quality about equivalent to the a6000 with kit lens. In many cases, the Rx100 will produce better images.

You might also check out the rx10, which has the same image quality as the rx100 but a 24-200 lens.

Now, if you want so-so image quality but put a premium on 500mm+ lens, then there is nothing wrong with the newest HX models.

Do you want high quality images or a long telephoto zoom?
You can't have both, especially not in a compact package. The dslr lenses that give a similar level of telephoto zoom reach are about 5 pounds and require a tripod.
The quick explanation: image quality is all about sensor size (as well as lens quality, lens aperture). A tiny sensor gives poor image quality, but it can produce a huge telephoto reach with a small lens. A big sensor produces much higher quality, but it requires a much much bigger lens to produce telephoto reach.

The RX100 sensor is much bigger than the HX cameras, about 4 times the size. It is a much more capable camera in low light, it will have far more dynamic range. It also has an excellent lens.

The a6000 has an even bigger sensor. The same size sensor found in most dslrs. It's a little larger than the Rx100. Potentially, it can have much better image quality than the rx100.... But....

The rx100 has a better lens than the a6000 bundled lens. The lens is also a huge factor in determining image quality. On balance, the rx100 will produce image quality about equivalent to the a6000 with kit lens. In many cases, the Rx100 will produce better images.

You might also check out the rx10, which has the same image quality as the rx100 but a 24-200 lens.

Now, if you want so-so image quality but put a premium on 500mm+ lens, then there is nothing wrong with the newest HX models.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is exactly what I didn't understand and I really appreciate you explaining!!! I guess I will have to think about this! Image quality is important, more so than the distance thing.

Another vote here for the RX100!! I have the Mark 3, version [along with a number of other Sony Camera's] and the RX100 comes with me everywhere I go. So much smaller than a DSLR [A77 - A99] or mirrorless [A7 - A6000 - NEX 6 etc] and the image quality is awesome! Just remember a camera doesnt take nice pics, the photographer does!!

Good luck and enjoy!!

B-

If your budget allows, you should consider the RX10. Compact, great lens, and bigger range than the RX100. Also great for video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter