Sony a6000 or Sony rx100 iii

Landslide305

Mouseketeer
I'm leaving for WDW in less than two weeks. I have been doing research on a camera to replace my old Canon dslr. I wanted something more compact and under $1000

Which would you recommend?

Sony a6000 body only and attach a 50mm 1.8 lens

or

Sony rx100 iii

Two very very different cameras.
Comparing A6000/50/1.8 vs. RX100iii-24-70/1.8-2.8.

The A6000 is very compact, with the native 50.1.8, it will fit in a small camera bag. Maybe even a very large pocket. The RX100iii will fit in a mid-sized pocket. The RX100iii will be half the weight.

Size comparison:

http://j.mp/1PjG2db

They are both much smaller than your old dSLR.

The A6000 has faster autofocus, with hybrid phase detection. The RX100ii has pretty fast contrast detect AF. For shooting action, the A6000 will be noticeably faster and more accurate. For portraits, landscapes, etc.. you won't see a difference.
The A6000 has a bigger and better viewfinder. The RX100iii does have an EVF, which is better than LCD only. But I found it tiny and awkward to use.

When using good lenses, the A6000 has better image quality potential, thanks to its larger sensor. Though I'm betting the RX100 will match or surpass the image quality of your old Canon.

But looking at the lens bundles you are talking about: The 50/1.8 on the A6000 will effectively be 75mm.
So the RX100 would give you a field of view from 24mm - 70mm. Essentially, the "normal" range.
The A6000 would give you 75mm ONLY... unless you add other lenses.

The 50/1.8 is "ok"... not great for a prime. But better than most zooms.

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/720-sony50f18nex?start=1

As you can see, the center is very sharp, even at 1.8. But the edges are poor until stopped all the way down to F4. Not a horrible result for a consumer prime, but not great either.
At 70mm, the RX100 will be a 2.8 lens. Considering the aperture + lens quality + sensor image quality, when shooting at 70-75mm, the A6000 will give you superior results. (You are using a half-decent lens, larger sensor, and shooting potentially at faster aperture = lower ISO).

Of course, that leaves out the whole range of anything less than 75mm. You will often find you are "too zoomed in." You will need to back up physically, you will have difficulty framing shots.

So the RX100iii will be much more versatile than the A6000.

On the other hand, you can add/buy more lenses for the A6000. The downside, the lenses aren't especially cheap... And the kit lenses aren't especially good. I dare say the 16-50, for $350, is overall a slow, poor image quality lens. So the RX100iii will bear the A6000+16-50. The E-mount 18-55 is $300, a bigger bulkier lens, not as wide, and similar image quality. To get to a decent lens, you need to go up to the Zeiss 16-70/4. That's still going to be slower than the RX100 -- and even that lens, for $1,000, has gotten so-so reviews.

So if I was purely looking at A6000 + 50/1.8 or RX100iii, I'd pick the RX100iii.
If I was willing to add lenses... but was only going to shoot in the 24-75 effective range, I'd pick the RX100iii.
If I wanted the most compact possible, I'd go with the RX100iii.
If I was willing to add more lenses down the road, and wanted greater versatility to shoot telephoto AND ultrawide, I'd go with the A6000. (But I'd be prepared to spend $2000+ over the long term).
If I wanted to shoot action, I'd go with the A6000.

Thank you SO much. I ordered the a6000 with the 50mm lens but my husband has been second guessing my decision and really thinks we should go with the RX100 iii. While I prefer the a6000, I can only afford one lens right now and unless I can find something to adapt my Canon lenses to the Sony, I think I will be better off with the RX100 iii instead. I read bad things about the kit lens so that is why I ordered the 50 mm 1.8 instead.

This is our honeymoon and even though we purchased the Memory Maker, I want to make sure my photos come out great. When I originally started looking for a camera to take, I was looking for a point and shoot under $500 but as I started to research, I was steered toward the Sonys and upped my budget accordingly but I can't really go much higher than the $900.

Would you recommend keeping the a6000, returning the 50 mm and getting a different lens or should I just go with the RX100 iii? We leave in 13 days so I'm probably going to need to make a decision in the next day or so in order to have time to play and practice.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your knowledge and advice!!

That's a very thorough reply above. Very informative.

Is there a reason you are looking at these two? You only mention the 50mm sony... Would you be looking to add lenses in the future?

With the choices given I would lean towards the RX100iii. A 75mm lens will limit you during the course of a vacation, though it might actually force you to take some creative shots. A6000 + 35mm f/1.8 would edge out the RX100 in my opinion. (if you think you'd like to add lenses in the future, of course)

If I kept the Sony and could only have one lens for the honeymoon, which you recommend I buy? I paid $469 for the body only and could probably spend about $500-600 max on a lens. Or, would you just go with the rx100 iii?

When we were looking at them in the store, the a6000 felt better in our hands but I would add a grip to the Rx100. The salesperson really steered me away from the rx100 and toward the a6000 with the 50 mm lens. As soon as we were out the door, we were second guessing our choice and I've been researching but my photography knowledge is limited.

Didn't see the last post before posting my response. You are in the fortunate position of actually having the camera/lens with you. Go out and play with it and see if you like it. You'll know right away if the 50mm (75mm eq) lens works for what you want to do.

Thank you SO much. I ordered the a6000 with the 50mm lens but my husband has been second guessing my decision and really thinks we should go with the RX100 iii. While I prefer the a6000, I can only afford one lens right now and unless I can find something to adapt my Canon lenses to the Sony, I think I will be better off with the RX100 iii instead. I read bad things about the kit lens so that is why I ordered the 50 mm 1.8 instead.

This is our honeymoon and even though we purchased the Memory Maker, I want to make sure my photos come out great. When I originally started looking for a camera to take, I was looking for a point and shoot under $500 but as I started to research, I was steered toward the Sonys and upped my budget accordingly but I can't really go much higher than the $900.

Would you recommend keeping the a6000, returning the 50 mm and getting a different lens or should I just go with the RX100 iii? We leave in 13 days so I'm probably going to need to make a decision in the next day or so in order to have time to play and practice.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your knowledge and advice!!

You won't regret the RX100. I did a full week of Disney just with the original RX100, and had no real regrets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/havoc315/sets/72157631370806298/

The A6000 is a great camera, but it is too limited with just the 50/1.8. You could get the 35/1.8, which may be a better lens. And it would be equivalent of 52mm --- So a more "normal view."

Go with the A6000 is you see photography as a long term growing hobby, where you want to eventually invest more in more lenses. And the 35/1.8 would be a decent starting point, and you'd get some great shots.

But if this trip is the pinnacle of your photography needs, go with the RX100iii... you'll get great shots now, and in the future with it.

Didn't see the last post before posting my response. You are in the fortunate position of actually having the camera/lens with you. Go out and play with it and see if you like it. You'll know right away if the 50mm (75mm eq) lens works for what you want to do.

Yes and no. It can be misleading.... If you are outdoors, with tons of room to work with, you may not immediately notice the limitations of the 50mm. Take some indoor photos.... Decide if you want to take landscapes.

One other option... Stick with the A6000. Exchange the 50/1.8 for the 35/1.8. And RENT a couple other lenses. For $100-$200 you can rent a very complete combination of lenses, and take every type of shot you would want.

I'm going to go after work today and pick up the Rx100 iii and test both out for a few days. Thank you for all your insight. I really appreciate it.

I think I will probably end up going back to my original pick of the rx100 iii because I love the small compact size for my purse and no need to get more lenses. I still have the Canon dslr for wildlife shots around my house.

I will come back and post which I end up choosing. Thanks again!

I'm going to go after work today and pick up the Rx100 iii and test both out for a few days. Thank you for all your insight. I really appreciate it.

I think I will probably end up going back to my original pick of the rx100 iii because I love the small compact size for my purse and no need to get more lenses. I still have the Canon dslr for wildlife shots around my house.

I will come back and post which I end up choosing. Thanks again!

Good plan. Or based on the bolded part, just go ahead and exchange. It does not sound like you want or need an interchangeable lens system.

Ok, I just went to the store and checked out the rx100 iii. I hate it. I can't see anything through the EVF, I have really bad eyesight and even with my glasses I could only see light and shadows. I hate how small it is.

So, I am definitely keeping the a6000. If you could take one lens along with the 50 mm, which would you take? (Under $600 if possible).

Should I still return the 50 mm for the 35 mm, which would be better for home? Should I get an adapter to convert my Canon lenses to the Sony? I have an 18-55 and a 55-250 mm.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Have you tried to shoot with the 50mm? Do you like it? I would prefer the 35 to the 50, but that is personal preference if I was choosing one lens. The 50mm would be great for outdoor portraits, but tough for indoors shooting in tighter spaces. The 35 would give you a good all around lens in low light indoor situations. You have to figure out what you like to shoot.

One of the better values is the 18-105mm for around $600. That would give you the most options, as I have a feeling you would prefer the zoom vs primes.

Ok, I just went to the store and checked out the rx100 iii. I hate it. I can't see anything through the EVF, I have really bad eyesight and even with my glasses I could only see light and shadows. I hate how small it is.

So, I am definitely keeping the a6000. If you could take one lens along with the 50 mm, which would you take? (Under $600 if possible).

Should I still return the 50 mm for the 35 mm, which would be better for home? Should I get an adapter to convert my Canon lenses to the Sony? I have an 18-55 and a 55-250 mm.

I had the 35mm 1.8 and still have the 50mm 1.8. The 35mm is much better as a carry around lens. Some of my favorite shots have come from the 35mm ( I only sold it to get the Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8). I would also get an adapter for your Cannon lenses. You should be able to get autofocus with it. It won't be nearly as fast as with your DSLR but it will give you a decent kit lens and tele-zoom for a few extra bucks.

The sensor in the A6000 is one of the best APS-C sensors, I think you will notice an immediate difference in your photos. Enjoy and don't forget to share you pics!

Yep... Warned you the Evf was poor. You really need to use the lcd for your shots.

I'd get an adapter for your lenses. Depending on which adapter you get though, they may become manual focus only, or very very slow autofocus.

Where to spend your lens budget really depends on your style of shooting.
I'd probably get the 35 instead of the 50, as a better general purpose focal length.
Once you get the 35, you don't -need- a standard zoom. You're basically always right in the middle of a standard 16-50 zoom.

So personally, I'd primarily just stick with the 35. Then I'd supplement with ultra wide or telephoto. To get the types of shots you really can't get with the 35.
You have your Canon 55-250 for telephoto, even if it is slow.
Personally, I'd consider the Sony 10-18. Ultrawide shots can be fantastic, and you can't do it with any of your current lenses.

I've been playing with the 50mm and I'm in love. I ordered the 35 mm and I'll have it in two days. I think that lens will get me some nice shots at WDW and then at home more importantly.

I will have about a week to play with it. I am beyond thrilled with the a6000 so far. The size difference between my Canon is incredible and the sharpness I've gotten out of the few pics I took are making me very happy.

Thanks for the lens suggestions. I'll look into them all. I have a feeling I'm going to start a collection

Awesome news! You should be able to get some great subject isolation shots with that 50mm lens. Practice close up shots at f/1.8 and watch that background become a blurry sea of goodness.

I've been playing with the 50mm and I'm in love. I ordered the 35 mm and I'll have it in two days. I think that lens will get me some nice shots at WDW and then at home more importantly.

I will have about a week to play with it. I am beyond thrilled with the a6000 so far. The size difference between my Canon is incredible and the sharpness I've gotten out of the few pics I took are making me very happy.

Thanks for the lens suggestions. I'll look into them all. I have a feeling I'm going to start a collection

I also love my SEL 50mm 1.8. It was the first 50mm 1.8 lens with stabilization. I shot this wide open, hand held at 1/30 sec, ISO 800.

_DSC4986-X2.jpg

I think it renders colors better than the 35mm 1.8. Have a great trip - personally I believe the AXXXX/NEX series of cameras are great for WDW because of their small, light size and terrific IQ.

Just to throw the idea out there - don't always take comments and reviews about lenses in black and white. When people deride the kit lenses, they're coming at it from the standpoint of comparing to a nice fast prime, or talking about it not being capable in extremis. But the truth is, even cheap kit lenses can be just fine, especially for walkaround, general photography. I personally do not like the A6000's kit lens, and I bought mine body-only, but that's because I hate power retracting lenses...I do still have an older kit lens from my first NEX camera and still use that - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it for general photography...you can pick them up used very cheap. Try looking at B&H used dept, or a site like KEH.com, and you can usually find 18-55mm E-mount kit lenses for $70-90. For that money, it might be a nice option to have, when you don't NEED the fast primes, and want the added flexibility of having some zoom and variable focal range. It's not a power retracting lens like the 16-50mm kit, and most people seem to agree it's optically better too.

Just to throw the idea out there - don't always take comments and reviews about lenses in black and white. When people deride the kit lenses, they're coming at it from the standpoint of comparing to a nice fast prime, or talking about it not being capable in extremis. But the truth is, even cheap kit lenses can be just fine, especially for walkaround, general photography. I personally do not like the A6000's kit lens, and I bought mine body-only, but that's because I hate power retracting lenses...I do still have an older kit lens from my first NEX camera and still use that - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it for general photography...you can pick them up used very cheap. Try looking at B&H used dept, or a site like KEH.com, and you can usually find 18-55mm E-mount kit lenses for $70-90. For that money, it might be a nice option to have, when you don't NEED the fast primes, and want the added flexibility of having some zoom and variable focal range. It's not a power retracting lens like the 16-50mm kit, and most people seem to agree it's optically better too.

Strongly agree. In good light the "old" kit 18-55 is very capable. Here's an example (JPEG), walking up Main Street with the 18-55.

_DSC4507-XL.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter