Sony A100

Anewman said:
Well I have not purchased it, but I would like to address Kellys reply about the Pentax having better High ISO noise levels.

The Pentax is 6mp the Sony 10mp, if you downsize a Sony Image to 6mp(fair comparison) the noise levels will be greatly reduced(math sez about 40%).

And always remember Noise is not the ONLY thing to consider when buying a camera, I for one would rather use Minolta glass over Pentax glass.

Very true, the more pixel you cram into the same surface area, the higher the noise is going to be. (although Canon's 8MP RebelXT is less noisy than 6MP original-Rebel) Also true that ISO-noise is not the end of the world. Especially if you're very unlikely to use the dSLR higher than ISO 400

However, on a flip side of the coin,

1. do you really need 10 MP?
2. are you going to upgrade to higher end lens in the future?

If the answer is yes to either of the questions above, then Sony IS the camera for you.

PS: Canon WILL introduce (at least) a new camera and a slew of new lenses in several days. Whether it will be the replacement of 30D or XT, I don't know. I hope it's not a replacement of 30D because I've just recently bought a second 30D body. :guilty:

Anewman said:
According to history Canon replaces each model at about 18months.

The 350D is about 18 months old
The 30D is about 6 months old

I do not remember Canon replacing a model after being on the market for 6 months.
From my (very limited) knowledge, though, the 30D is really just a reincarnation of the 20D, rather than a new model, per se. Does the fact that they haven't increased the mega-pixels and upgraded the sensor mean they are about to release something better in this range?

Having said that, have they backed themselves into a corner here? If they release a new 10MP model in the mid range, where does that leave the 5D?

According to my guy, Canon has recently had a mail-in rebate offer on the 5D. In his experience, that means they may be about to replace that model. I think he was suggesting that could have a knock-on effect on the entry and mid-range models.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll stop! :teeth:

UKDEB said:
From my (very limited) knowledge, though, the 30D is really just a reincarnation of the 20D, rather than a new model, per se. Does the fact that they haven't increased the mega-pixels and upgraded the sensor mean they are about to release something better in this range?

Having said that, have they backed themselves into a corner here? If they release a new 10MP model in the mid range, where does that leave the 5D?

According to my guy, Canon has recently had a mail-in rebate offer on the 5D. In his experience, that means they may be about to replace that model. I think he was suggesting that could have a knock-on effect on the entry and mid-range models.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll stop! :teeth:

Yup you are absolutely correct. Unless you need the spot meter, there is no point in buying the 30D. There is no real advantage there. It should've been called 20D mkII or 20D+ instead of 30D. Even the 1/3-stop ISO settings are bogus (I posted somewhere else about Canon's stupid 1/3-stop ISO setting).

Oh and another stupid thing about 30D, ISO 200 is actually cleaner than ISO 100. So instead of using ISO 100, I use ISO 135 (noise level is the same as the next-stop ISO setting), and I get to utilize slower shutter speed.

In terms of MP count, even if they come out with 10 MP APS-C sensor, it's not going to 'kill' the 5D because 5D is still a full-frame-sensor camera.

The speculations (for dSLR) I've heard from several sources (both reliable and questionable) are:

1. the introduction of DIGIC III, possibly for higher burst-rate and definitely for lower high-ISO noise
2. new sensor design that natively can go up to ISO 6400 (without boost mode). Currently, all of Canon sensor is ISO 1600 native and can be boosted to ISO 3200, or Olympus and Panasonic (I'm just talking about dSLRs here) ISO 400 native and boosted to ISO 1600) -- note: boosting is taking a pic at a camera's highest native ISO setting, under exposed it by 1 or 2 stops, then boosting it back by 1 or 2 stops. Creating godawful noise. (see sample of ISO 3200 boost mode pic that I'll post later -- taken using Canon 30D)
3. eye control a'la Canon A2E 35mm SLR where you can choose the point of focus by moving your eye.

The 5D price drop (via rebate) have been around for quite a while. I'm still kicking myself for buying two of those one week before the rebate kicks in.

UKDEB said:
If they release a new 10MP model in the mid range, where does that leave the 5D?

According to my guy, Canon has recently had a mail-in rebate offer on the 5D. In his experience, that means they may be about to replace that model.

The 5d is a full frame sensor though, whereas the 30D has a 1.6 crop factor. In effect, this means that the sensor in the 5D is much bigger than that in the 30D. So, even if Canon released a new 1.6 crop camera with 10mp, the sensor itself would still be much smaller.

The advantage of a bigger sensor is bigger pixels = increased dynamic range and lower noise. See this link for a proper explanation!

The rebate on the 5D has been going on for ages and runs until the end of October. There are rumours of an update soon, we will just have to wait and see ;)

ISO 3200 shots, look at the noise, it's horrible!

Totem-Pole-3200.jpg

Iron-Man.jpg

Deer.jpg

Racoon.jpg

another advantage of the sony over the pentax..

the availability of over 1 million minolta lenses

UKDEB said:

Well I tend to follow the pattern upto date vs "speculation", model numbers indicate it was a new model in the line, not just a variation(ala: 20D mkII). I can not see it being replaced in 6 months regardless of the megapixel race, the 30d is still tops in many catagories vs the SONY or new NIKon. FPS(for sports) and ISO noise(for kelly) has still not been bettered.

Oh and according to recent history again, Canon has been doing 2 rebate promos per year almost like clock work.

given Photokina is on soon and Canon generally doesn't pre-announce their new items - i'd definitely hold off. i had a play with the Sony in the shop and it's not bad, but noting i'd be compelled to pick up.

one interesting note - there is a new book on Amazon, which leads me to believe the Rebel XTi will be the name of the replacement model. hopefully they have some new full frame body as well...

The replacement of XT, the 400D will now have 10.2 MP, still DIGIC II processor, but with anti-dust mechanism. If it's got spot meter, bye bye 30D hello 400D.

Kelly Grannell said:
The replacement of XT, the 400D will now have 10.2 MP, still DIGIC II processor, but with anti-dust mechanism. If it's got spot meter, bye bye 30D hello 400D.
Have you been offically told this? I know that there has been speculation to this end? Does sound good!

Kelly Grannell said:

What??????? You are not going to wait to see high ISO noise levels :cool1: :cool1:

But seriously, NO spot meter just partial.

Kelly Grannell said:
Cool. I want it!

Boss Hogg said:
Have you been offically told this? I know that there has been speculation to this end? Does sound good!

Canon posted the info on their CHINA website, but it crashed or was removed. Some passed it through a translater and posted the screen caps. But official announcment in US should be here within 48 hours.

Anewman said:
What??????? You are not going to wait to see high ISO noise levels :cool1: :cool1:

But seriously, NO spot meter just partial.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :dance3: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

of course I gotta see the ISO noise first. After all, I'm still unhappy with the noise on ISO 3200 on my 30D :p

Okay then, no spot meter = no sale for me.

Should I buy it, then, homergod. Oops, I mean homerdog! :rotfl: You know I trust your opinion 120%!

PS 'White Horses' ad on Discovery Real Time right now!

How's Canon's delivery time from announcement date?

It's been awhile since I bought something just announced from them. It used to be they would announce and then you had to wait months before they hit the stores.

manning said:
How's Canon's delivery time from announcement date?

It's been awhile since I bought something just announced from them. It used to be they would announce and then you had to wait months before they hit the stores.

Again following recent history, 4-6 weeks after anouncement they start hitting the streets in droves. They may actually beat the new D80 to the store shelves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter