• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sonoma, Napa Valley trip

My friend and I used Platypus Tours when we went three years ago, and we LOVED it! We would use them again in a heartbeat!

What a great thread! We are going to CA in June and are making a day trip to Napa. Up until this point (thank you to everyone who posted) I have had no information about the area. Soulsearching, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but everyone here is so helpful. I have one question (I hope you don't mind)...we are a family of 5...two parents, 23 yr. old son and two 21 yr. old sons. Where would you recommend that we go with only one day to spend there? Hijacking done! Thank you!

Hi Nancygirl, my suggestion is to look at the wine country map and decide what area you are going to be in at the time you arrive. From what I have read, people suggestion you plan a day of 3 - 5 vineyards to tour. I would also suggest one that has a market so that you can have lunch at one of the vineyards during the day. You also need to decide whether you want to make appts. for tours that day, or want go to vineyards that don't need appts.

So narrowing down the area you want to explore and whether you want commercial vineyards or boutique.

Another suggestion is to book with a tour group such as Platypus Tours. Which would take your whole group and may be a little pricey, but takes the guess work out of it for the one day you have there.

Good Luck.

So good to hear! How much in advance did you set up your tour with them?

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think it was too far in advance. We went in January of I think 2012, and I think we planned our trip in late fall. I know we had everything else booked for a little bit before deciding which tour company to use.

I do remember that Jancy (sp?) was our tour guide, and she was great! It was my best friend and me, and then two married couples on the tour. So it was just the 6 of us in the limo. She welcomed winery suggestions from us, but none of us had any, so she picked the 4 places we went. And I think we were all happy with her choices! The day also included a picnic lunch, and that was great as well. It was all very well put together, and we felt like the convenience was worth it both for driving around but also for neither of us having any knowledge ourselves about which wineries to visit for our first trip to Napa.

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think it was too far in advance. We went in January of I think 2012, and I think we planned our trip in late fall. I know we had everything else booked for a little bit before deciding which tour company to use.

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

My husband and I enjoyed the Napa Valley Wine Train, the wine tasting was awesome. Our two favorite wineries were Francis Ford Coppola and Ravenswood.

My husband and I enjoyed the Napa Valley Wine Train, the wine tasting was awesome. Our two favorite wineries were Francis Ford Coppola and Ravenswood.

Yes! I heard the Francis Ford Coppola vineyard was one to see.

I am on the fence about the Napa Valley Wine Train, because I have heard mixed reviews, such as the food was not that good and people felt that they basically were a train the whole time riding through vineyards instead of seeing them. So like I said, I'm on the fence about the Train Ride. Unless, someone can convince me not to be.

What a great thread! We are going to CA in June and are making a day trip to Napa. Up until this point (thank you to everyone who posted) I have had no information about the area. Soulsearching, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but everyone here is so helpful. I have one question (I hope you don't mind)...we are a family of 5...two parents, 23 yr. old son and two 21 yr. old sons. Where would you recommend that we go with only one day to spend there? Hijacking done! Thank you!

If you have a Signature Visa Card you can get free tastings and their site has suggested tasting routes. Having only one day, this may work for you.

Check it out here: http://www.sonomawine.com/visa-signature-perks/vs-winery-guide

In Napa:
  • Our favorite is Rutherford Hill. Their cave tour is amazing! (Our favorite wines by far.)
  • Sterling Vineyards has a nice self guided tour with wine along the way. We spent the extra to do some tastings in the tasting room. There is some Ansel Adam works up there, along with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and wildlife.
  • Ma(i)sonry is really cool. There's art everywhere, and wine. Intimate tasting - reservations suggested http://www.maisonry.com/
Near Napa/St. Helena: Eats
Gott's Roadside - super tasty burgers, and the shakes aren't too bad. Perfect after a day of drinkng. http://gotts.com/

On the way to Sonoma:

In Napa:
  • Our favorite is Rutherford Hill. Their cave tour is amazing! (Our favorite wines by far.)
  • Sterling Vineyards has a nice self guided tour with wine along the way. We spent the extra to do some tastings in the tasting room. There is some Ansel Adam works up there, along with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and wildlife.
  • Ma(i)sonry is really cool. There's art everywhere, and wine. Intimate tasting - reservations suggested http://www.maisonry.com/
Near Napa/St. Helena: Eats
Gott's Roadside - super tasty burgers, and the shakes aren't too bad. Perfect after a day of drinkng. http://gotts.com/

On the way to Sonoma:
These suggestions are great! Looking into them right now. Thanks so much for posting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter