Song of the South

Have you seen this movie since you were an adult? I have not. However the ride at Disney is a family favorite. I agree that the movie may be offensive. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to find the movie was to analyze with a mature eye. Your comment about the holocaust seemed ironic as I would argue your solution of ignoring "Song of the South" (as well as Huckleberry Finn, Gone With The Wind to name a few) trying to keep it hidden and unreleased is akin to the horrors of those who would pretend the holocaust did not happen.
As an African American, I gotta tell you I find both of them offensive. so I'm definitely in the don't release category.

The problem is with the perpetuation of the "happy Darkie" theme in both movies. Yes slavery occured but these movies tend to have the "we were sooo happy to be slaves or friend with XXX and our lifes were just filled with us dancing and singing". uuugh. I absolutely hate that. I've read people who say "well some blacks were treated good" :confused3 excuse me?

I always think in the back of my mind would they make a movie portray holocaust prisoners "happy" to be in the "work camps".

Just another perspective. :)

I heard that it will never be released in the USA, however, I actually looked, and found it on Ebay. It was in an overseas country but I don't remember which one. Doesn't matter. That was months ago. I'm sure if you look now, they'll be a seller in Europe with it for you.

Have you seen this movie since you were an adult? I have not. However the ride at Disney is a family favorite. I agree that the movie may be offensive. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to find the movie was to analyze with a mature eye. Your comment about the holocaust seemed ironic as I would argue your solution of ignoring "Song of the South" (as well as Huckleberry Finn, Gone With The Wind to name a few) trying to keep it hidden and unreleased is akin to the horrors of those who would pretend the holocaust did not happen.

As a Jewish person. I'm gonna have to agree with you. It is instructive to look at these films with a modern eye and learn from them. One time, back in the 80's when my oldest daughter was a pre-schooler, I purchased a combo pack of VHS tapes of really really old cartoons. Some were in black and white... they included Lil' Audrey and Raggedy Ann among others. I was sitting there one day watching an old Lil Audrey cartoon with my daughter when I almost fell out of my chair and my mouth dropped to the floor as I was shocked at the way black people were portrayed. Not only were they drawn in a racist way, their accents were exaggerated and their roles were so stereotyped. I just couldn't believe it!! This old cartoon HAD to be from the 1930's based on the way the men were dressed and what the automobiles looked like. This however, was a teachable moment. as I explained to my daughter the problem with this old cartoon and how things have changed. We talked about just how wrong this whole cartoon was. The cartoons however, had plots that dealt with what a brat Lil' Audrey was! Everything else was ancillary. It was the backdrop to a long ago world that we can't believe actually existed.

I remember seeing Song of the South as a child. I loved Uncle Remus because he seemed so nice. You just wanted to sit in his lap and have him tell you a story. He was like the best grandpa ever! I'd love to have the opportunity to see this old movie through adult and modern eyes. popcorn::

As a Jewish person. I'm gonna have to agree with you. It is instructive to look at these films with a modern eye and learn from them. One time, back in the 80's when my oldest daughter was a pre-schooler, I purchased a combo pack of VHS tapes of really really old cartoons. Some were in black and white... they included Lil' Audrey and Raggedy Ann among others. I was sitting there one day watching an old Lil Audrey cartoon with my daughter when I almost fell out of my chair and my mouth dropped to the floor as I was shocked at the way black people were portrayed. Not only were they drawn in a racist way, their accents were exaggerated and their roles were so stereotyped. I just couldn't believe it!! This old cartoon HAD to be from the 1930's based on the way the men were dressed and what the automobiles looked like. This however, was a teachable moment. as I explained to my daughter the problem with this old cartoon and how things have changed. We talked about just how wrong this whole cartoon was. The cartoons however, had plots that dealt with what a brat Lil' Audrey was! Everything else was ancillary. It was the backdrop to a long ago world that we can't believe actually existed.

I remember seeing Song of the South as a child. I loved Uncle Remus because he seemed so nice. You just wanted to sit in his lap and have him tell you a story. He was like the best grandpa ever! I'd love to have the opportunity to see this old movie through adult and modern eyes. popcorn::
Thank you -

I found the Little Audrey and Lulu videos on Youtube and I think it was Lulu that was the one that was so racist... but really.... most cartoons of the period were. Those were just so glaring. Its hard for us now, to look back, and believe that people actually thought this was ok! :confused3 That's why it is so important to watch and critique and discuss... not hide. History that is not learned from, gets repeated. We all know that. Song of the South can certainly be appreciated for the technology it brought to film making and the songs themselves. Who doesn't want to have a Zippedy Doo Dah day?

I wondered if Song of the South was an offensive movie. I hadn't seen it since I was a child. I was able to find it on youtube. I personally didn't find it offensive. Uncle Remus is a sweetheart who likes to tell stories that teach important moral lessons. There wasn't any reason to believe he was a slave or anything more or less than a kindly neighbour to the family the little boy were staying with. I think anyone who thinks this film is offensive should watch it again.

I think it is a great idea to watch so people can learn. It happened, that makes it history. The point of studying history is to learn from mistakes, like so many people have said. Circulating copies of Birth of a Nation doesn't mean that the company believes in the movie, but maybe the purpose that the movie has in today's society. I personally want my kids to be able to see how media has changed the last 100 years.

I personally want my kids to be able to see how media has changed the last 100 years.

You are so right. We forget about how things have changed. Remember when Jeannie's costume from I Dream of Jeannie was considered racy!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter