• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Son with Aspergers Syndrome - Eating at WDW

Ckmommy72

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We are planning out first trip to WDW in September, and I'm in high planning mode. In trying to decide where to stay/whether to get the DP or not, I wanted to ask anyone who might have experience with this about accommodations that can be made regarding my son’s AS and eating.

Like a lot of kids with AS, DS is very particular about what he eats. Mostly about his food not touching and about foods that he likes being only a certain kind…i.e. he will only eat chicken nuggets from McDonalds, not Wendy’s, BK, made at home, etc. He eats almost exclusively breakfast foods – French toast, waffles, bacon, sausage, some fruit, and yogurt or cereal sometimes. Things like McDonalds and grilled cheese are sometimes exceptions.

I know I’ve read here and heard from others that there are some accommodations that can be made for thinks like allergies, etc. Would this be something that the folks at Disney would be able to make accommodations for? i.e. If we do the DP, I don’t want to go to say CRT for dinner, and have my DS eat nothing because he can’t get French toast and bacon. It would just be a waste of money, as we’d have to figure out something else for him to eat, even though we already paid for the DP.

I also realize what a large request something like this could be, and I never even considered that it would be a possibility for them to perhaps accommodate his eating habits, until I read/heard here how good Disney can be in working with guests with special needs.

So, long story short – would this be something that might be worked out, and how would I go about dealing with it – would a GAC cover something like this (I don’t think we’ll be getting one otherwise, as DS does ok with crowds and waiting, as long as we can keep him occupied and take enough breaks)

TIA for your help and advice!

Hi! Our DS3 has Autism and thankfully doesn't have any food issues, but he does particularly enjoy breakfast food.

I don't know about the special meal accomodations-sorry.

Have you thought about the breakfast buffets? Like Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Hollywood & Vine, etc? They have a lot of choices-he (or you) can make his plate the way he wants and he can eat exactly what he wants. I know this doesn't help with dinner plans-but I know DS3 loves the breakfast buffets at WDW.

Have fun!

To be honest, this might be a bit more of a complicated request then most. The reason being is because many restaurants don't even serve breakfast and may not have these items on hand. You may also run into an issue that the restaurants that DO serve breakfast may not have the items prepped come lunch/dinner. This would at the least require an extended wait or an inability for them to make the item (items not being thawed for example).

Honestly, I think in your case, the DP may not be the best deal. It simply does not work for every family and there is nothing wrong with that.

Have you thought about the breakfast buffets? Like Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Hollywood & Vine, etc? They have a lot of choices-he (or you) can make his plate the way he wants and he can eat exactly what he wants. I know this doesn't help with dinner plans-but I know DS3 loves the breakfast buffets at WDW.

Have fun!

Thanks for your reply. I have definitely looked at the breakfast buffets, and certainly think they would be something DS would love - he loves going to brunch on Sundays! I'm even kicking around the idea of doing basically brunch - making ADRs for the buffets as late as possible (like around 11:00am), and calling that lunch then using the QS credit for an early dinner. So much to consider...I feel like I need a degree in Disneyology to plan this trip :)

To be honest, this might be a bit more of a complicated request then most. The reason being is because many restaurants don't even serve breakfast and may not have these items on hand. You may also run into an issue that the restaurants that DO serve breakfast may not have the items prepped come lunch/dinner. This would at the least require an extended wait or an inability for them to make the item (items not being thawed for example).

Thanks for your reply...that's kind of what i figured the case would be...but I figured it didn't hurt to ask and see if anyone knew of the folks at Disney being able to do this. I know whatever we decide to do, we'll have a great time!

The best people for giving an accurate answer would be Special Diets. Do you have specific restaurants in mind? That would help them get accurate answers because they can contact chefs at the specific restaurants to find out what can be done. I would think that if they carry a loaf of bread, milk and eggs that they could make french toast and toss some sausage in a pan but I'm just guessing and I don't know what each individual restaurant has on hand. There's absolutely no harm in asking.

IMO, this IS a special dietary need since it is tied to his disability. The department you'd be talking to is called Special Diets. Seems like they should at least try to work with you to find answers.

Thanks for your reply...that's kind of what i figured the case would be...but I figured it didn't hurt to ask and see if anyone knew of the folks at Disney being able to do this. I know whatever we decide to do, we'll have a great time!

Please don't think I may be saying you have no chance at it happening. Call Special Diets and see what they can do. I just wanted to be realistic as to what some of the issues could end up being. I seriously hope there is something they could do for you and it won't be an issue.

Most TS you can put a note on your reservation (most case you check "other) we have always had great success at WDW with our DS Aspergers who is also a vegiterian. French fries grilled cheese, pizza with the cheese removed (if the crust "feels " right) and so forth.

bookwormde

I think this falls into the same category as the very picky eaters. There are a ton of kids around who will only eat nuggets or burgers from specific locations, etc. So it is not a unique situation. Plenty of parents deal with that at WDW - so you are not alone.

That said, I would recommend looking at ALL the menus on allears and identify the restaurants where ds would like something. I agree with pp's about focusing on eating mostly/all breakfast buffets to make things easier on the DP.

Another thought - if you want something different for a meal - you can always get him a CS meal before or after going to a restaurant, so that you don't get too sick of the same old meal.

I don't think you mentioned his age...Is he old enough to understand when you explain that there will not be all his 'usual' choices there? But maybe you can bring a supply of a favorite snack with you to always have something familiar onhand. My ds8 has mild Asperger's so I know that having at least something that is 'usual' to him would help my own son.

GACs will not help in this situation.

The 2 things you can do have already been mentioned:

1) There is contact information for the Special Diet Department in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or use the link in my signature to get there. Then just scroll down post 3 to find the information in the alphabetized list of Conditions and Concerns.

2) Check the menus from both allearsnet.com and the DIS site (wdwinfo.com). There are links to both of those in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread along with the Special Diet Department information.
You want to check both those website menu lists because the menus do change from time to time and one may have more updated information on certain restaurants than another. You do still have to be aware that menus can change before you get there, but at least seeing it on 2 sites should give a more complete picture.

I feel for you! My son is your son's age and has similar eating issues (in fact he eats pretty much the exact same things you mentioned...I wish I could get him to eat sausage or bacon though!). Anything "different," even if it's just a grilled cheese made with cheddar rather than American, is a no-go! However my son does not have any disability. He's typical in every other way but just an extremely picky eater no matter how we and our pediatrician have tried to help.

Since our son does not have a disability, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for any accommodations for him, but since your son has a diagnosis to explain his limited diet, it certainly wouldn't seem unreasonable for you to at least ask Special Diets what they might be able to arrange.

If accommodations aren't available at the restaurants of your choice, your best bet is to look at the menus ahead of time and find restaurants that serve something your son will eat. We've had good luck very nicely asking for grilled cheese--they can usually make that with no problem; if there is a cheeseburger on the menu we will ask for a cheeseburger with no meat or anything else but cheese on it and luckily DS will eat that.

Often we just tell DS "tough luck; eat a roll or something and you can eat something else in the room later" and he is getting old enough to understand that he just has to accept that graciously but that probably isn't appropriate for someone whose eating issues are tied to an actual disability!

I hope Disney can work out something to help everyone in your family enjoy your meals. :goodvibes

I've been in your shoes. We've done a lot of buffets so my ASD boys can eat what appeals to them. It's worked out very well and has helped me identify what works/doesn't work for certain dining locations.

Cape May Cafe has a good breakfast and dinner buffet and Crystal Palace has a good buffet as well.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Hi, my Asperger son is 16 and is also a very picky eater. We are going to WDW for the first time this May. I have tried to book as many buffets that may suit him as well. When I booked the ADRs I requested that they flag our reservations with a request that he could eat from the children's menu/childrens buffet menu if nothing suited him on the adult menu. I will still be paying for the adult size meal, but don't want to do that if all he will eat is a roll at supper. The person taking my reservation could not guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem with him eating off of the kids menu, but everything I've heard about Disney sounds very accomodating. Maybe I need to contact special diets too? What do you think?
Susan

Hi, my Asperger son is 16 and is also a very picky eater. We are going to WDW for the first time this May. I have tried to book as many buffets that may suit him as well. When I booked the ADRs I requested that they flag our reservations with a request that he could eat from the children's menu/childrens buffet menu if nothing suited him on the adult menu. I will still be paying for the adult size meal, but don't want to do that if all he will eat is a roll at supper. The person taking my reservation could not guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem with him eating off of the kids menu, but everything I've heard about Disney sounds very accomodating. Maybe I need to contact special diets too? What do you think?
Susan

You should be fine. I have never heard of an issue with someone ordering off of the child's menu or eating from the child section of the buffet. Like you said, you will still have to pay the adult buffet price, but he can eat from any and all sections.

Lily, thanks so much. This board such a wonderful source of information.
Susan

Hi all,

We are planning out first trip to WDW in September, and I'm in high planning mode. In trying to decide where to stay/whether to get the DP or not, I wanted to ask anyone who might have experience with this about accommodations that can be made regarding my son’s AS and eating.

Like a lot of kids with AS, DS is very particular about what he eats. Mostly about his food not touching and about foods that he likes being only a certain kind…i.e. he will only eat chicken nuggets from McDonalds, not Wendy’s, BK, made at home, etc. He eats almost exclusively breakfast foods – French toast, waffles, bacon, sausage, some fruit, and yogurt or cereal sometimes. Things like McDonalds and grilled cheese are sometimes exceptions.

I know I’ve read here and heard from others that there are some accommodations that can be made for thinks like allergies, etc. Would this be something that the folks at Disney would be able to make accommodations for? i.e. If we do the DP, I don’t want to go to say CRT for dinner, and have my DS eat nothing because he can’t get French toast and bacon. It would just be a waste of money, as we’d have to figure out something else for him to eat, even though we already paid for the DP.

I also realize what a large request something like this could be, and I never even considered that it would be a possibility for them to perhaps accommodate his eating habits, until I read/heard here how good Disney can be in working with guests with special needs.

So, long story short – would this be something that might be worked out, and how would I go about dealing with it – would a GAC cover something like this (I don’t think we’ll be getting one otherwise, as DS does ok with crowds and waiting, as long as we can keep him occupied and take enough breaks)

TIA for your help and advice!

Are you staying at a Disney resort? Will you have a rental car? My son is very particular about his food.

Most of the served food does touch the other food on the plate. Years ago, the kids meals were served in a plastic Mickey head shaped plate with 3 separate compartments. They don't use those plates anymore.

Disney use to have McDonald's food in the parks, but they eliminated all those places recently. There is a McDonalds near All Star Sports and Coronado Springs. There is also a McDonalds at Cross Roads.

The grilled cheese served on property is often over cooked for my son's standards. I ALWAYS have to ask for them lightly grilled.

Perhaps you can email Brenda Bennett at Disney Special diets to see if she has any advice for you? She has been wonderful at helping me with my older son's food allergies.

another thought. The DIS has an area to type a key word for a food search and the restaurants that carry that food item. So if you are looking for chicken nuggets or grilled cheese you could find which places have them on the menu. Here's the link, about a third of the way down http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining.htm

And according to my 6 year old son, the chicken nuggets at Disney are close to McDonald's, BUT the chicken tenders/fingers are NOT!!

There is no such thing as a "kids buffet" or even an "adult buffet" at Disney. They have buffets with one section lower to the floor which has on it items that kids tend to enjoy (such as pizza, hot dogs, chicken strips, mac & cheese, etc.). Any person at the buffet (including children less than age three who are free) can get anything from any part of the buffet.

I think the easiest thing to do if it works for your family would be to do a big TS breakfast every day to really fill him up and then in the evening if you do a QS at a resort location they have kitchens and many foods so they typically can handle allergy/specialty requests pretty easily. In terms of the rest of the family we have found some nice meals at various resorts but check the All Ears menus. IN terms of the most options the Values have food courts so they have the most choices but they are also busy and you'll see a different chef just about every time. We like the deluxes which have way less food options (but plenty of breakfast stuff) because we often see the same chef over and over so they get good at dealing with us and it gets quicker. If he also eats breakfasty things like bagels, crossants, and cinnamon rolls each park has a bakery where he could use a snack credit mid day and they have some lovely options for the rest of the family too. When we do big TS breakfasts we have really enjoyed QS meals at some of our favorite resorts like Animal Kingdom Lodge is so fun to explore. The Contempo cafe in teh COntemporary is also anotehr we enjoy visiting even when staying elsewhere. Captain Cooks in the Polynesian and then watching fireworks on the beach is a nice way to enjoy fireworks without the crowds and noise.

You will be fine! Our son has exactly the same issues and has ALWAYS been able to get something he needs. The staff is wonderful about getting him something to eat WHEREVER we went (even the "fancy" restaurants.

This is part of the reason that we love Disney so much. No one gives us a second look or a hard time about this sort of issues.

As an aside, some of the biggest advancements into "new foods" have occurred spontaneously at Disney. Something magical about this place!

Have a magical trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter