Son Just Killed Video Ipod

undertheradar

DIS Veteran
My 15 yo just dropped his Ipod last night. He chipped the face and the case opens now. Went to my local Apple Store, waited 1 hour for a tech to tell me that he could not touch it, as it had no warranty after being dropped. $400.00 down the drain in less than 6 months. This is my last Apple products purchase ever. They do not even refer any service providers to attempt to repair the Ipod. But if I bought a new one today, they would offer a 10% discount. Just wanted to share my experience with Apple. :furious:

familyoffive said:
My 15 yo just dropped his Ipod last night. He chipped the face and the case opens now. Went to my local Apple Store, waited 1 hour for a tech to tell me that he could not touch it, as it had no warranty after being dropped. $400.00 down the drain in less than 6 months. This is my last Apple products purchase ever. They do not even refer any service providers to attempt to repair the Ipod. But if I bought a new one today, they would offer a 10% discount. Just wanted to share my experience with Apple. :furious:

Sorry that the iPod took a tumble.

But this is standard with most manufacturers. Any type of physical damage (i.e. being dropped) voids warranties. It's not exclusive to Apple. I work for an A/V retailer, and all of our manufacturers do not cover damage if items have been dropped.

Did you buy the extended warranty?

You can send it to Applecare and get it fixed. Since I bought a warranty, mine would be free/no cost, but I would guuess that that Applecare would fix it for you at cost.

Interesting, my local Apple store does repair items.

I don't know of any company that would replace something that was dropped. You might want to contact Apple to see if they would repair for a fee, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost to fix was almost as much as the item itself.

Cindy B said:
Did you buy the extended warranty?

You can send it to Applecare and get it fixed. Since I bought a warranty, mine would be free/no cost, but I would guuess that that Applecare would fix it for you at cost.

Interesting, my local Apple store does repair items.

The extended warranty does not cover this type of damage. It only covers defects and workmanship errors, and battery power loss. So buying the extended warranty would not protect the buyer in my situation. Just posted this so others can avoid this type of loss.

This is my biggest fear about my DDs iPod. We got her a 30GB iPod for Christmas. I told her that if she dropped it or broke it or lost it, that was it!! It was too expensive to replace so she better take care of it!

Maggie

I don't really see that Apple is being unreasonable.
Try the apple care option that someone mentioned.

I bought my husband an Ipod for Christmas, he wanted to use it while he worked out. I found out later that is not a good idea, since it has a hard drive that could get damaged from the movement. He is using it that way anyway, so I am waiting for it to break. :rolleyes1

If you used a credit card to purchase it, check with them - one of mine has buyer protection (or something like that) that extends the warranty and I think covers accidental damage. I should check on that......

This is kind of why I bought my DD the Ipod Shuffle for $99 instead of one of the more expensive models. And there are lots of mp3 players that are less expensive than that; if she breaks it, we'll be scaling down in cost not up.

I asked for the Ipod shuffle for Christmas, but DH 'had " to get me the video one. Two months later, DD was using it in his car. She hid it, told him she had hidden it, which he forgot. He decides to close the console between the seats, can't understand why it won't close easily, but forces it to close--completely wrecks the ipod.

He wanted to replace it, I again asked for the shuffle--nope, got the video. I just feel funny using it.

maxsmom01 said:
I don't know of any company that would replace something that was dropped.
Yep -- warranties usually cover defective materials, not user damage. Speaking for my own daughters, they are not responsible enough yet to warrant buying such an expensive toy -- I'd be too mad if they did this.

I've had problems with ipod hard drives failing, so we switched to nanos. apple has been good about replacing the hard drive 'pods, but the warranties eventually expire. I can put a lot of stuff on a 4 gig nano and swapping playlists isn't that hard.

I got my daughter a Nano with warranty for Christmas (4GB) I also bought 2 different cases. She is not really THAT responsible generally, but she ALWAYS has one case or the other on that Nano. If dropped, it is a real cushion against this sort of damage. The Nano screen is seems less fragile anyway (unless in a pocket when you sit down I guess)

our dd12 got the nano for Christmas also! we got her the 5 pack of colored covers, so far so good......we would have preferred she just had gotten a mp3 player--but her grandpa won't listen!

Unfortunately kids drop things--heck I drop things! Accidents happen, albiet an expensive one. Check to see if your Credit Card CO. doubled your coverage and has the accident rider on it. Otherwise, though I understand your frustration with the expensive broken item, it really isn't Apple's fault that the item was dropped and broken.

Let me tell you my experience with DDs 30gB iPod. I ordered it online with the free engraving of her name. I thought it might help prevent theft. Anyway, she openes it Christmas morning and takes it out of the box. The next thing I know is I look over at the iPod and there is a big scratch on the screen. I ask DD about it and she says she didn't do it and it came this way. This is like 5 minutes, if that, after she opened the box. She hadn't even used it yet.

The only thing I could think of was that when they engraved it, it could have gotten scratched???

Anyway, we were leaving the next morning to drive to Florida to the inlaws. So, DD wanted her iPod for the trip. So, on the way down we stop at the iPod store in downtown Chicago. Talk about BUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody in town was there spending their Christmas money. I finally make it up to the counter and show the lady the iPod. She says that they can replace it (with only a snarky look like, "Yeah right it came this way.") but that they don't do engraving (only online). And if i get it at the store, I can't get it engraved elsewhere as it might ruin the hard drive. Since DD wanted it for the trip, I just took the unengraved one. I was happy they were replacing it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our experience. The apple store was very easy with replacing our iPod.

I quickly purchased DD one of those plastic covers that are made for the video iPods. (Not the rubber shell things, but the hard plastic one).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=74E34575&nplm=TG018LL/A

Maggie

Your homeowners insurance would likely actually cover it for replacement if you wanted to file the claim.

Having invested an hour at the store, hours on hold on the phone and Apple providing no guidance on repair options(I was transferred 7 times on the phone!), it is a lost cause. Apple is very willing to sell me a new one, so they do not support the product they market. The replacement of this item is under my deductible, so that is out. The cc insurance on my card covers the item if purchased within 50 miles of home, there is no accidental coverage, and they only extend the manufacturers warranty- already void due to the Ipod being dropped. Very expensive lesson indeed.

I have a 30 g photo that I bought in May. It fell out of my pocket while walking back in October. It was clipped on a waist clip and I guess it wasn't fastened correctly.

The case saved it but it did have a lock icon and the lock slide wasn't engaged. Apparently one internal mechanism slipped. The apple store with verification of my Apple Care warranty, was able to fix it onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter