Somewhat disappointed with my first trip home to AKV

Hi there,

We have just returned from a 5 day stay in a 2bdr at Kidani last week. The resort like many has pluses and minus like most resorts. I don't want to go back there as I didn't really like the room. My main thoughts where

On arrival the room was very very dark, so much so we left the lights on most of the time.

In our 2 bdr dedicated, the luggage space was hopeless, for instance the large cuPboards was taken up with 2 pack and plays, a high chair, ironing board and iron, and a safe on a pedestal.

The kitchen lacked space also and was so dark that you had better keep the lights on if you were using a knife.

On the plus side:-

The pool area was very good for the youngsters

The savannah had lots of animals on it.

PS: I reported 6 different maintenance faults from faulty lifts to failing emergency lights.

I didn't like the look of the garaged parking as you could see the cars from the front of the building, although this will get better when the trees grow a little (many people made the same comment about the BC)

A nice resort, although I would prefer OKW and I don't even own there.

How cool would it be to have a plexiglass dome tunnel with a people mover taking you from JAMBO to KIDANI running straight down the middle of the sunset savahna. Hey, let me dream my little dream!!!

Ehhhh, cool, but not worth the increase in my dues...For that I'll walk the sidewalk.

I would not like a plexiglass walkway. Visually, I think it would ruin the savannah.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We had cockoaches in our Jambo room too. We were there in early May.
We have been to WDW 11 times and never saw a cockroach in any of our rooms before. The manager did admit to me that AKV does have a roach "issue".

Fortunately, it looks like the only references to roaches at Jambo on the entire internet are the post above re: a July 4th stay and your original thread from May. And one TripAdvisor review, which looks like it may be from you. If it's not, that makes three.

To me, this indicates that it's likely to be an isolated "that's florida" issue rather than a pervasive problem, but two reports on the DIS in three months does give me pause.

thanks for the advance notice!!!!!!!! i will pack a spray bottle of bug spray.

i quess i might see more animals than i had planned.:eek: are they a protected species?:lmao:

I'm sorry you were disappointed. I can't tell you how afraid of that I am.
Now I'm REALLY confused! I chose Kidani over Jambo for my trip this November with my two cousins (no husbands, no kids), specifically for the larger room and the 2nd bathroom (we are in a one bedroom savannah view), knowing I was giving up the proximity to the restaurants, lounge and viewing area behind the pool.

Am I making a mistake? This is the first time I'm bringing them to a DVC resort, and one of my cousins really wants AKV because of the animals. I want to impress them - for two reasons, 1) one cousin invites me to great vacations, 2) I'm hoping the other cousin who is very into the savannah theme, wants to BUY!

What should I do??

Now I'm REALLY confused! I chose Kidani over Jambo for my trip this November with my two cousins (no husbands, no kids), specifically for the larger room and the 2nd bathroom (we are in a one bedroom savannah view), knowing I was giving up the proximity to the restaurants, lounge and viewing area behind the pool.

Am I making a mistake? This is the first time I'm bringing them to a DVC resort, and one of my cousins really wants AKV because of the animals. I want to impress them - for two reasons, 1) one cousin invites me to great vacations, 2) I'm hoping the other cousin who is very into the savannah theme, wants to BUY!

What should I do??

I think that staying at Kidani and visiting Jambo is a good plan.

thanks for the advance notice!!!!!!!! i will pack a spray bottle of bug spray.

i quess i might see more animals than i had planned.:eek: are they a protected species?:lmao:

Actually, unless it is bug spray to spray on yourself to keep mosquitos and such away from you, you'd probably be better off just reporting insects to Disney. They have a whole pest management system that your home purchased insecticide may disturb (or affect the next guest in the villa).

What should I do??

IMO stay at Kidani - I think you'll be fine. You made your choice already knowing what the differences are between the two resorts and by selecting what is important to you. You mentioned giving up the viewing area behind the pool but IMO you get a better viewing area at Kidani and viewing from the restaurant. For all that I think could have/should have been done differently at Kidani I do think that animal viewing there is a bit better than Jambo. And the room layout will probably suit you better traveling with an extended family group.

Have a great trip!

since we are dreaming, how about a plexiglass people mover from akl to the akpark going right thru the wild animal safari area?:)

Fortunately, it looks like the only references to roaches at Jambo on the entire internet are the post above re: a July 4th stay and your original thread from May. And one TripAdvisor review, which looks like it may be from you. If it's not, that makes three.

To me, this indicates that it's likely to be an isolated "that's florida" issue rather than a pervasive problem, but two reports on the DIS in three months does give me pause.

Make that 3.

I don't understand why people are complaining about Kidani, its a place to sleep. You are in Walt Disney World, get out of the hotel and do something. My family and I stayed at Jambo House in December in a 1 Bedroom Pool View Room. I thought it was great. I don't know about everyone else but I don't hang around the resort when I'm in Disney, I am out enjoying all the Park's. See ya in November.:woohoo::rotfl2:

I don't understand why people are complaining about Kidani, its a place to sleep. You are in Walt Disney World, get out of the hotel and do something. My family and I stayed at Jambo House in December in a 1 Bedroom Pool View Room. I thought it was great. I don't know about everyone else but I don't hang around the resort when I'm in Disney, I am out enjoying all the Park's. See ya in November.:woohoo::rotfl2:
I'm not complaining about Kidani.. Heck, I think it's great!
That said, I think of my DVC as more than just a place to sleep. Because we have visited WDW so often over the years (40ish on site visits), we don't have the need or desire to spend all day in the parks. The resort itself has become a larger part of our vacation over the years.

MG

OP, I'm sorry your first trip home wasn't everything you had hoped. I would give Kidani a try to see if you enjoy the larger villas more than those at Jambo House.

To the posters who are concerned about their upcoming stays at AKV, here's my two cents. Absolutely every DVC resort has people who love it and people who don't like it. While AKV is totally my cup of tea, and I didn't really love my stay at OKW, the exact opposite is true for other DVC members. My personal opinion is that if you think AKV interests you, then give it a try and form your own opinion. Don't let the reports of others stop you from trying something you're really looking forward to. It seems like whenever you're considering something, all of a sudden a bunch of posts pop up about it that are negative. In truth, every DVC resort has plusses and minuses, and every guest enjoys different things. So if a stay at any resort appeals to you, then give it a whirl!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter