Sometimes, the deluxe dining plan makes more sense

hodad

DIS Veteran
I mentioned elsewhere on the disboards that it can pay off to get a dining plan for some of the people some of the days, and here's another example.

We are doing a split stay this February. Two families, with the last two nights of our trip on-site. One set of parents and three kids rented points for a Wilderness Lodge DVC room and added a deluxe dining plan, and the other two parents are staying somewhere else (waiting on the AP discounts later this month) without a dining plan.

We are splitting thirty TS credits among four adults and three kids (converting extra dining credits to snacks) at the following: Garden Grill (b), Ohana (d), Whispering Pines (l), Akershus (d), and Crystal Palace (l), and saving at least $300 (not including the refillable mug costs). Plus, because we're saving all the character meals and buffets until the end of the trip, we are more willing to eat at QS or our off-site resort on the early days.

We considered the regular dining plan, but even if we switch out Crystal Palace (TS) for Be Our Guest (QS), it would cost $150 more.

Last edited:
I thought about this as well and we almost upgraded to the Deluxe plan but ultimately decided we wanted more flexibility and the real benefit we'd gain would be 1 more Table Service meal a day and we didn't want to plan that much (especially with a 4 year old).

We would have gained another dinner at Cinderella Royal Table and some other nicer meals, but for the $600 increase (5 days) it was a financial decision as well.

Even if I spend the exact same amount out of pocket (for "not as fancy food") as I would for the Deluxe plan, not having a rigid schedule was more important to us.

If I wasn't going with my daughter and wanted nicer meals with my wife, I totally would have upgraded.

We're planning to upgrade. We want to do a load of character meals, but also try some 2 credit places. And sitting down for a meal is a built in rest stop.
My guess is we'll break even, but, we won't be out of pocket, AND the reduced stress for DH is invaluable

The ability to use the TS credits on a child's dining plan for adult meals really makes the deluxe plan a great deal if you have additional adults with you who are not staying in the room with the plan. I wonder how long that option will last.

This post got me to thinking. We are going soon and we have a DVC split stay. We are a party of 4 - 2 adults, 1 disney adult(10 this year) and 1 kid.

I was wondering if I could purchase the deluxe dining plan for just my 8 year old and myself and then use all of the credits for the entire family - up to check-out day of our first resort. My husband and son will be flying in a day later than us due to a football game. If I take my son and husband off of the reservation, then I can add the deluxe dining for just my daughter and I. I assume that if we're under the 30 days, that their FP's will be safe, right? We all have AP's.

Then I would add them back on the reservation the day they fly in. I also rent a car, so I would just pick them up from the airport since they would not qualify for magical express.

Does that plan sound like it will work? That would give me 24 meal credits to use over the 4 night reservation.

I'm not an expert, but that sounds like it would work. Makes sense if you can use 6 TS meals at $25 a pop plus six free snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter