• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Something special this trip? MM?

Mexikolla

Mouseketeer
I would really like to do something special for our Holiday Trip this year. (Last year we at the Blue Bayou). Last spring we did Breaky with Ariel. I was thinking about another character breakfast, but I'm not a fan of buffets with my young children, (not quite big enough to serve themselves). I looked into the tours and they would cost us WAY to much for something the kids may or may not enjoy.

So my question is, besides staying in a Disney hotel is there any other way to get into a Magic Morning? ($$) We are SoCalSelect pass holders and we are not staying at a DLR hotel. Actually we are driving the RV up :)

TIA

I would really like to do something special for our Holiday Trip this year. (Last year we at the Blue Bayou). Last spring we did Breaky with Ariel. I was thinking about another character breakfast, but I'm not a fan of buffets with my young children, (not quite big enough to serve themselves). I looked into the tours and they would cost us WAY to much for something the kids may or may not enjoy.

So my question is, besides staying in a Disney hotel is there any other way to get into a Magic Morning? ($$) We are SoCalSelect pass holders and we are not staying at a DLR hotel. Actually we are driving the RV up :)

TIA

What about the breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe? You can order off the menu there, rather than the buffet. We love the Minnie and Friends buffet. Yes, it's buffet and we have to dish everything up for our kids but it's great. LOTS of character interaction and so fun. I don't mind dishing up the kids plates....it's quick and easy.

Also, think about the reindeer roundup. That's "special" and totally free. Go to the Grand Californian Hotel and visit santa. Again, totally free and definitely special.

As for your question, without parkhoppers or staying at a Disney hotel, no there is no way to get into magic morning. :( Sorry.

TIA

Is your AP almost up? You could get a 3 day PH and upgrade it to your next AP. You really would only want to do this if your AP is just about to expire because, a 3 day PH is more than a SoCal Select and it must be done before the 3rd day of your PH vistit ends and unused days on the PH will expire 14 days after you 1st day of using the PH.

Maybe if you would also use the PH to get in on a select blocked day or two it would be a good option.

What about the breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe? You can order off the menu there, rather than the buffet. We love the Minnie and Friends buffet. Yes, it's buffet and we have to dish everything up for our kids but it's great. LOTS of character interaction and so fun. I don't mind dishing up the kids plates....it's quick and easy.

Also, think about the reindeer roundup. That's "special" and totally free. Go to the Grand Californian Hotel and visit santa. Again, totally free and definitely special.

As for your question, without parkhoppers or staying at a Disney hotel, no there is no way to get into magic morning. :( Sorry.

Where can we find the Santa at the Grand Californian Hotel? In the lobby? I don't want to feel like we are trespassing (staying @ Hojo) but I would love my DDprincess:to see Santa and if the reindeer roundup is super busy then maybe this is another option!:banana:

DLR trip in 23 days! Wahoo! My DD 1st visit! :love::cloud9:

Our passes dont expire until the spring but I will keep that in mind when it's getting close!

Great idea about the Santa thing at the Grand Californian! Thanks, I think we'll do that & a character breakfast. :)

Thanks for the help! :)

Where can we find the Santa at the Grand Californian Hotel? In the lobby? I don't want to feel like we are trespassing (staying @ Hojo) but I would love my DDprincess:to see Santa and if the reindeer roundup is super busy then maybe this is another option!:banana:

Yes, he's in the lobby. There are also carolers at different times during the day. Many people who stay elsewhere go to the Grand just to see it and admire the architecture. You wouldn't be trespassing. :)

We talk about this a lot in the Christmas thread. Santa is not only in the GCH and DL. He is in 5 places around DLR - in DL (at the Round-Up), in DCA (in the Paradise Pier area), at the Disneyland Hotel (usually late morning to early afternoon-ish), at the Paradise Pier Hotel (in the morning) and at the Grand Californian (only at night, and with a PhotoPass photographer). The Christmas carolers also appear at all 3 hotels. Santa sits at the GCH only for a couple of hours each night, and he takes a break at one point.

So if you want to be able to catch both Santa and the carolers - or one of the two - at any of the hotels, you might want to check with the front desk to find out the times they will be there so you don't miss them.

The GCH is more inviting for Christmas entertainment, I think. The sofas and chairs are nice and comfy, the pianist and guitar player take turns playing holiday tunes throughout the evening, the ambience is very Christmasy in an elegantly rustic kind of way, but if the line for Santa at the GCH is long, just know that you can catch him at the other 2 hotels and in DCA as well as the GCH and DL.

Thanks for the Santa pointers. :santa:

I've never been in the GCH but had a feeling that would be the most inviting place to see him.

Maybe you would know the answer to this one...

I've seen a photo of Santa in a hawaiian shirt. Where is that Santa at?

Is he actually big, or is he fluffy, like a pillow?

Finally is his beard real?

I am sure this goes without saying because this is Disney we are talking about here, if he is HALF as thought out at the Princesses, then I am sure Santa is up to par. I want to make SURE we get an authentic Santa. Santa has come to our house to personally give the presents to the kids for the past 4 years and we made the call not to have him come by this year. We didn't want the magic to be lost on my VERY observant 6yo DS if he found out that Uncle Jake was one of Santa's "helpers".

Thanks for the Santa pointers. :santa:

I've never been in the GCH but had a feeling that would be the most inviting place to see him.

Maybe you would know the answer to this one...

I've seen a photo of Santa in a hawaiian shirt. Where is that Santa at?

Is he actually big, or is he fluffy, like a pillow?

Finally is his beard real?

I am sure this goes without saying because this is Disney we are talking about here, if he is HALF as thought out at the Princesses, then I am sure Santa is up to par. I want to make SURE we get an authentic Santa. Santa has come to our house to personally give the presents to the kids for the past 4 years and we made the call not to have him come by this year. We didn't want the magic to be lost on my VERY observant 6yo DS if he found out that Uncle Jake was one of Santa's "helpers".

The Hawaiian shirt Santa left after 2007. He was situated in DCA sort of near the entrance. They removed Santa from DCA altogether in 2008, and then they brought him back last year and stuck him in Paradise Pier in DCA, and now he wears traditional red Santa gear.

Hmmm...I'm trying to think. I'm pretty sure that the Santa in GCH is a big guy and not just fluffy. I would be willing to bet that all the Santas around DLR are probably size-appropriate and not just fluffy. If he were not a face character, then they may be able to stick him in a giant Santa costume with a fake head (like Lilo of "Lilo and Stitch"), but because he is a real guy I think they try to find men who are on the larger side of things.

Now the beard I am not sure about. That could be fake. Maybe they get guys with real white beards, or they may enhance the beards a little.

I was quite pleased with our Santa at the GCH photo spot. He was appropriately jolly, and every time a pair of females (of any age) approached him for pictures, he would say, "Be sure not to tell Mrs. Claus!"

The trees are actually more colorful and, I think, prettier in the other 2 Disney hotels (DLH and the PPH). But the overall setting of GCH is more inviting and cozy, so it lends itself to a more Christmasy feel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter