Something special for teen boy birthday while in Disney

Princess Olivia

DIS Veteran
Hello! Our ds will turn 15 while we are in Disney and I would love to plan something special but there are challenges. He likes WDW but isn't fanatical like dd and me. Dh and I thought since he loves animals we could do the AK tour but you must be 16. I asked if he would like surfing lessons at TL but he said no. He doesn't love to eat out so a restaraunt will be tough. He loves the strawberry soup at 1900 PF so maybe we'll do that for breakfast but he's not a big fan of the characters (I know I gave birth to him but question if he's really mine ;)). Lastly he doesn't like CAKE :confused3. He only likes the boxed funfetti cakes and his birthday is the only time you'll find that in my house.

Any ideas? Teen boys are just tough!! I could plan 20 different things for dd!

Let HIM plan it. It sounds like you've been there before so he should know what he likes just leave the day up to him and he'll have more fun!

But demand there be cake...you should always have cake.

I agree with the PP, let him pick and if he doesn't do or pick anything super magical I would just not push him.

15 is tough for a boy when it comes to being a Disney fan depending on his peer group so also don't push it. Just so you know my sons' have never been fanatics about Disney over 4 or so trips from 8 to 19 but they wouldn't turn down a trip. :thumbsup2

Would he like something like bowling at Splitsville? Not sure it's open yet though. Maybe go to Cirque or even just a movie at DTD? I think there is a dinner with a movie option at the theater. My teens would love any of those things.

Our teen and pre-teen would definitely enjoy a day at Disney where they can make their own choices - park, rides, ADRs, etc. The ability to choose a favorite resort for the trip or the night would also interest them, especially if it's club level at a deluxe. They aren't really into any of the special activities that Disney regularly offers, but they are interested in events, such MNSSHP, MVMCP and some of the RunDisney events. A night with EMH and a pledge that we'll stay as long as they want would be a big hit. But my suggestion is the same as a previous poster's - allow him to determine the plans for the day. At least for our boys, that's what's most important to them, and makes them feel heard and appreciated.

As for the dessert, our boys have never liked cake, so I always make cookies decorated in the theme of their choice for birthdays. But when we're on vacation for a birthday, they choose whatever treat they would like and I find a way to stick a candle in it. If I asked them today, I bet the birthday dessert would be a bag of Goofy sours. :)

The Seas Aqua Tour, so he can snorkel in the big aquarium at EPCOT. You can go with him, but kids 12 and over can also go by themselves.
Or EPCOT Dive Quest if he is scuba certified.

What animal lover wouldn't want to do that?:thumbsup2

He's old enough for the Wild Africa Trek tour at AK. It is only Wild By Design or whatever they call the operations/backstage tour that has the minimum age of 16; the Wild Africa Trek is the one that covers the actual safari grounds and offers the most animal viewing and it has a younger minimum age. I want to say 8 but maybe it is 10? Either way, I know DD11 is old enough so your son must be too.

Another tour to consider, depending on his interests, is the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour. DS and I took that one for his 10th birthday and he really enjoyed it, even though he's not a huge Disney nut, because it focused mainly on the history and tech of the trains rather than on the park.

Perhaps he would enjoy taking a friend instead of doing something "special" If he has a friend they can spend a little time each day with the family and then you could cut them loose to enjoy the park.

15 year old boy? Try to get him a kiss from a princess or two. He will be embarrassed some but he'd like it.

The Wild Africa Trek age is 8 so he would certainly qualify. I've done a lot of tours and IMHO this is best! He;d need an adult to attend with him but this is the ultimate birthday present!:cool1:

15 year old boy? Try to get him a kiss from a princess or two. He will be embarrassed some but he'd like it.

Unfortunately he's a bit too old for princess kisses. They only kiss the little kiddies. But I'm sure he'd still get lots of special attention from them if they saw him. :)

fishing excursion is a lot of fun

parasailing on bay lake would be fun too

This isn't an activity suggestion but I noticed you said your son dosen't like cake. Would he enjoy an icecream cake instead. I don't know many teens who don't enjoy ice cream. Whatever happens I hope he has an enjoyable day.

The Characters in Flight balloon at DTD? DD is a bit younger than your son and really enjoyed it. Then go to ghirardelli afterwards for an ice-cream celebration. :thumbsup2

What about renting one of the watermice boats at one of the marinas? Also, the kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream might be a fun cake alternative...

Thank you! All great advice :). I'm going to run all of those ideas by him. I plan on going to Splitsville because our 3 yr old ds LOVES to bowl. I'm sure my 15 yr old will like it too! Also going to look into the AK tour, parasailing and fishing. Thanks again!!

Princess Olivia said:
Hello! Our ds will turn 15 while we are in Disney and I would love to plan something special but there are challenges. He likes WDW but isn't fanatical like dd and me. Dh and I thought since he loves animals we could do the AK tour but you must be 16. I asked if he would like surfing lessons at TL but he said no. He doesn't love to eat out so a restaraunt will be tough. He loves the strawberry soup at 1900 PF so maybe we'll do that for breakfast but he's not a big fan of the characters (I know I gave birth to him but question if he's really mine ;)). Lastly he doesn't like CAKE :confused3. He only likes the boxed funfetti cakes and his birthday is the only time you'll find that in my house.

Any ideas? Teen boys are just tough!! I could plan 20 different things for dd!

What about letting him have the day at Disney quest?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter