Someone tell me I am crazy

Jasminerk13

Mouseketeer
I know this is probably nothing to worry about ... BUT ... as we get closer to our very first cruise with our DD, I get more and more freaked out about her possibly falling off the ship. We are getting a balcony and she will be sleeping on the foldout sofa bed. I am soooo scared about her opening the door, or somehow falling overboard in some other area of the ship.

Has this ever happened??? Am I worrying over nothing?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's our jobs as mom's to worry. ;)

She will be fine. There is a lock and I'm guessing that your daughter is young enough that it won't be too easy for her to open.

Enjoy your cruise!

I know this is probably nothing to worry about ... BUT ... as we get closer to our very first cruise with our DD, I get more and more freaked out about her possibly falling off the ship. We are getting a balcony and she will be sleeping on the foldout sofa bed. I am soooo scared about her opening the door, or somehow falling overboard in some other area of the ship.

Has this ever happened??? Am I worrying over nothing?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It has never happened on DCL. And, the only way you can "fall" overboard is if you are doing something you are not supposed to like climbing rails or trying to balance somewhere you shouldl not be....unfortunately most of the "overboard" stories on other cruiselines involved stupidity, alcohol or possible foul play.

DCL has plexiglass lining their railings so it is very difficult to climb up the rails. DCL has taken every precaution to keep that from happening but as a parent you must stress to your children never to be out on the verandah by themselves or to try climbing. If you want you can ask the Room Steward to remove the verandah chairs and table...one less thing to climb on.

MJ

I've seen a few posts similar to yours in the time I've been reading the DCL boards, so don't worry - you're not alone in your concern.

I think that most people suggest that you have a discussion with her about safety on the balcony. The biggest issue is that she shouldn't be allowed to climb on a chair or table while out there to try to get a better look. I think that'd be the only possible way for her to fall over the railing because it's fairly high. (I want to say it was at my chest level - I'm not tall, so that's not saying a ton, but for a child the rail should be fairly high.)

You may also want to set a rule ahead of time that she is not allowed to be on the balcony unless a grown up is with her. (I'm not sure how old she is - this may be the case no matter what if she's really young.) We let our kids (11 and 6 last time) out there alone but only if we were in the room, and with the warning that their feet had to stay on the floor. I don't think they were ever in the room without us, but our rule was that they were not allowed to open the door unless an adult was in the room to watch them.

But the biggest thing I can do to ease your mind is to tell you how much trouble I had with the door to the balcony. It is not easy to open at all (in my opinion, anyway). It is heavy and the handle that unlocks it was not all that user friendly for me. So I would assume that she probably could not open the door and let herself out there, at least without it waking you up!

Hope this helps!

I had trouble opening the lock to the verandah as well.

There has been one person who has gone overboard on a Disney ship. It was in port...perhaps St. Thomas...and a teen was dared to jump off the ship...which he did. When the kid walked up the gangway soaking wet and handed the CM his KTTW card the CM saw that the kid had never signed off the ship. It was obvious what he had done and he was confined to his stateroom for the rest of the cruise by the Captain.

You are crazy. :thumbsup2;)

LOL:rotfl2:

But, really, I have never booked a balcony because I have only traveled with myself and DD and we started cruising when she was 6 (she's 13 now so no worries about climbing overboard unless she gets overcome with teenage angst :rotfl:) I don't think its a ridiculous concern. I didn't build a pool in my (Florida) home precisely because I knew I couldn't watch DD 24 hours of every day and, being single, I try to mitigate opportunities for risk.

Again, we don't know how old DD is, but have a good talk with her about the rules :teacher:

but seriously your fears are common and justified, but as others have mentioned it is very difficult to get out there without you knowing unless you leave the door open. Then the child would need to get a chair or table moved to the rail to get up high enough to even be able to maybe get on or over the rail. It is difficult for a small child. As you sound like a diligent parent you should not have a problem.

Do you worry that she will jump out of a window in your house?
Do you worry that when the car is moving that she will open the car door and fall out?
Are you worried that on the plane ride to FL, that she will try to open the cabin doors and get sucked out of the plane?

Thanks for all the replies!

DD is 3, so I doubt she will be able to open the lock by herself...
I know its a silly worry, but still!

1--heavy (very heavy) door
2--lock up very high
3-need to climb on chair to get over railing
4-parent had a responsibility to watch her
5-basic instructions...don't go to balcony alone, etc.

She's have to disobey your instructions and somehow manage to unlock and open a very heavy door by herself...and do it all without you watching.

It's never happened, and there have been zillions of kids on DCL!

I was on the cruise where the young man jumped overboard while in port....yeah, the captain was NOT amused.

Can't comment on the balcony, but I had a tiny heart attack myself when my DD6 within 5 minutes on the ship we went up to deck 10 and we hadn't yet had the talk about staying away from the rails, no climbing, etc. Out of natural curiosity she wanted to see over the rail:scared1:so I looked over and just as she was lifting herself up I screamed. Poor thing, I scared the heck out of her:eek:. So then we had the talk about the rails and how dangerous it is to climb on them. I think I scared her so much by my reaction at first, she wouldn't even think about doing it again. I think for that reason it's very important to discuss the safety issue BEFORE you board.:thumbsup2. It's a natural thing for them to want to climb up to see something over the rail, especially if it's their first time on a cruise ship.

This was my BIGGEST fear also, so you are so not alone!!!! I have a climbing monkey of a 4yo DS and was so worried he would climb and fall overboard. Plus on this cruise it was just going to be myself with both kids, no DH to help monitor the boy! Anyway the week before the cruise we talked at bedtime about how dangerous it was to climb the rail of the ship. BTW we were on a Carnival ship that did have actual rails around some decks.

The cruise was two weeks ago and I had reminded him again about the rails, well we are on the ship no less than 20 min. up on the lido deck and what does my son start climbing - the rails of the staircase!! :sad2: I think I bellowed the biggest "get down" that he has ever heard and reminded him sternly that is what mommy was talking about no climbing anywhere on the ship!!! Well after that I'm happy to report he never dared tried climbing again on the ship!! We had a fabulous time. He was fascinated with the sea and would go stand right at the rails to look out, but never ever even put a foot up on the rails.

I have to say I felt much safer than I thought I would & we had a great time. We now want to do the Disney cruise and I love hearing that they have plexiglass instead of actual rails! :thumbsup2

We had a balcony with our DD who was 3. The doors have kind of a double locking system. There is an actual lock near the top of the door, and then the handle has to be turned horizontial to the floor to open it. You will not have any problems. We were so gald we had it for nap times. We loved it so much we booked another balcony room for 2010.

Thanks for all the replies!

DD is 3, so I doubt she will be able to open the lock by herself...
I know its a silly worry, but still!

You are not being silly. It is called instinct and is totally natural when taking your child into an unfamiliar setting. Until you see how the ship is constructed you won't be able to get the assurance that it will be practically impossible for your child to go overboard. :goodvibes

Now, I have read of a an adult being locked out on their balcony by a child who turned the lock on the door somehow and didn't understand the instructions the parent was giving them through the glass to open it.

You are definitely not alone! I was paranoid on our 4 night a year and a half ago. But no one tried to open the varanda door. This time we will have 2 connecting rooms, so I am glad no varanda. I really liked the layout of the ship though. We hardly ever went anywhere near an open side railing. You can walk inside. And from what I remember the sides by the Mickey pool aren't open either. Have a great trip!

Oh my to someone being locked on the balcony! That would totally happen to me!!! DS (3.5) locks us in the garage, or out the back yard ALL THE TIME! LOL Another reason to be glad not to have one this trip!

I know this is probably nothing to worry about ... BUT ... as we get closer to our very first cruise with our DD, I get more and more freaked out about her possibly falling off the ship.

Yup! you're SOoooooo far "out there"...I doubt you can see the light of day!!
Seek professional help! ;) This is an unreasonable level of concern IMHO.

I had trouble opening the lock to the verandah as well.

There has been one person who has gone overboard on a Disney ship. It was in port...perhaps St. Thomas...and a teen was dared to jump off the ship...which he did. When the kid walked up the gangway soaking wet and handed the CM his KTTW card the CM saw that the kid had never signed off the ship. It was obvious what he had done and he was confined to his stateroom for the rest of the cruise by the Captain.

:scared1:Note to self: Have conversation with teen son before trip re no jumping overboard.;)

OP-Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter