Someone talk to me about early January

Rhonda Kennedy

Earning My Ears
Now, I have been to Disney, many, many times but neve during January. I thought I’d miss the crazy days by waiting Togo afterthekids are back-in school. Yet the crowd levels are still busy then. Anyone experienced during this time?

You have the holidays and then flow right into marathon weekend (which many make into a full week) and then it is MLK day making a long weekend.

Perhaps the last week in January?

We are visiting the last week of January. We’d like to visit earlier, but it would be too busy IMHO. MLK weekend is my birthday weekend and I’d love to be at WDW to celebrate, but we’ve done that before and it’s just too busy. On a personal level, it will give DH more time to recover from some orthopedic surgery he will have next month.

Now, I have been to Disney, many, many times but neve during January. I thought I’d miss the crazy days by waiting Togo afterthekids are back-in school. Yet the crowd levels are still busy then. Anyone experienced during this time?
Many schools don’t reopen until the second week of Jan.

I go every year between the holidays and marathon weekend (or right after marathon weekend). Crowds aren’t bad. The biggest downside to me is that the parks aren’t open as long as they are during the summer.

There's the week after the holidays end that PP mentioned. Also very few schools get the entire week off for MLK break so any time after MLK Monday isn't too bad. I mean the crowds are still level 5-6-7, but not off the charts, the last two weeks after MLK day.

Jan 4th-10th 2019 the crowds weren't bad by any means. The longest wait time we saw was for Flight of Passage and Test Track, roughly 60 mins for each. Restaurants were fairly quiet during dinner hours.

We've done the last weekend in January a couple of times. One year, it was seriously low crowds. The last time coincided with Disney hosting the pro bowl at wide world of sports, so it wasn't as empty as we remembered, but still really doable. And while it was a bummer that parks didn't have long hours, it made it easier to do rope drops!

As someone who has gone to marathon weekend coming up on 6 years in a row I think it’s a great time to go to WDW. Weather can vary wildly though. Crowds typically aren’t terrible.

How is the weather during January? We are looking at early January and checking averages it can get rather chilly at night. I like the idea of high 70's during the day since I can't handle the heat and humidity very well. We will be doing a resort only stay this time and choosing activities like riding bikes, visiting Disney Springs, playing mini golf and using the pools.

We go to the parks ever year at this time (Second week of January) because the Surf Expo at the convention center is also held then which we also attend.

The parks are still busy, but not terrible like Spring or Summer. The weather is much nicer though. Cold at night (can be in upper 40's to 50's but warms to upper 60s to 70s during the day. Very comfortable.

We go to the parks ever year at this time (Second week of January) because the Surf Expo at the convention center is also held then which we also attend.

The parks are still busy, but not terrible like Spring or Summer. The weather is much nicer though. Cold at night (can be in upper 40's to 50's but warms to upper 60s to 70s during the day. Very comfortable.
Thanks! Since we are not going to the parks this time, and it's for a nice relaxing getaway, I thought the temperatures would be okay. I have no problem walking around in jeans and a light jacket at night.

Thanks! Since we are not going to the parks this time, and it's for a nice relaxing getaway, I thought the temperatures would be okay. I have no problem walking around in jeans and a light jacket at night.

You will like it. Bring a rain coat just in case. We have been caught in some rainy days in January as well. Temperature only hit the upper 50's that day with rain so it was a chilly day. We still loved it though!

We are at Universal Jan 1st-4th with Unlimited Express Pass

Then Disney Jan 5th-12th - so hoping the crowds are manageable during that week.

We will see what the weather turns out to be, but we're coming from Canada so it will be "warm" compared to home. Hoping for 70s during the day and totally fine with "cool" nights.

How is the weather during January? We are looking at early January and checking averages it can get rather chilly at night. I like the idea of high 70's during the day since I can't handle the heat and humidity very well. We will be doing a resort only stay this time and choosing activities like riding bikes, visiting Disney Springs, playing mini golf and using the pools.
Keep in mind that if its a high of 70 degrees, it won't reach that until 2-4pm in the afternoon. It will likely still be in the 40s, 50s when leaving the room in the morning and will get cold when the sun goes down. Outdoor rides can be biting. Pack accordingly and dress in layers!

40's is just a light jacket for us. LOL
I live in Buffalo and am used to cold temps too, but its different when you're being whipped around through the cold wind on Big Thunder or trying to enjoy the 25 minute safari ride with the wind blowing through your safari vehicle!

Will it vary between shorts/ tank weather and pants/ sweatshirts? How do you pack? We are going for the marathon. In Feb it was quite warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter