someone rotten in disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only half agree with The Sweetness. What I don't agree with is the *finder's keepers* part.

It is unfortunate the things that get lost and stolen at WDW. But it's also amazing the carelessness of people with their valuables and belongings. While it may seem like *home*, WDW is a huge place with millions of people. I think it's just common sense to make sure you know where your purse is, don't leave things on strollers unattended, etc. I worked at Lost & Found when I was on the College Program, and it's really amazing how many valuables get turned in.

My exception to this is children. The hat/fanny pack on the back of the door in the bathroom is an easy mistake. I'm talking about things like videocameras and diabetes machines and dentures.

The good news is that a great number of things do get turned in. I would guess that a majority of guests would do the right thing and turn things in. If a cast member finds things, it will almost definitely be turned in. Even things from old beat up hats, shoes, disposable cameras. While the theft is probably pretty common, I would guess that WDW is better than most large places for getting your stuff back.

whew...sorry to be so longwinded about this

I always think of how I would like it if things were on the other foot, so to speak. That's why I'll even turn in cash I find laying on the ground. I don't know if the CM will turn it in or keep it , but at least I can sleep at night knowing I did the KIND thing.

And couldn't this world and THE World use more kindness??:D

"The Sweetness" is a very ironic name for you, don't you think?

Lucky for us, we had just the opposite happen to us in 2000. Unbelieveably, all three kids ended up losing their hats. Two baseball type hats we purchased at home and one "beach" hat DD purchased in MK with her own money. We pretty much gave them up for gone. On our last day, we had lots of time to kill before leaving for the airport, so we took a trip to the lost and found. We actually were able to recover 2 of the 3 hats! I was really surprised and the kids were elated (well, two of them were). Something as insignificant as hats....and people had turned them in! It was a nice way to end the vacation.

Wow!.......

Haven't you ever watched The Andy Griffin Show?

If only TV was on that side of moral and ethics today.

If you leave something behind, such as leaving your purse on the table and walking out of the restaurant with your party, anything you left behind is your loss. Anyone recovering anything that they were careless enough to leave behind should consider themself blessed.

my kids found $50 in cash at one of the resorts, and turned it in, without my prompting. I was so proud of them.

They got high praise and a good deed gift certificate from the manager, which made me very happy. I can't remember which resort!

On our first day at Disney this year we were sitting at the table across from the Plaza on Main St. while my DH went to the bakery to get breakfast for the kids. My DD (7) said look mommy there's somebody's wallet. Sure enough there was a thick wallet laying on the ground near one of the other tables . We never even looked in it and immediately found a cast member to give it to for the Lost and FOunds. We didn't give our names either because we didn't want someone to have to feel obligated to thank us. I said to my DH when he came back imagine how awful that man will feel the first time he goes for his wallet and discovers it missing and happy he'll be when he finds it at Lost and FOunds. I thought it was a good opportunity to show the kids that we practice what we preach. I would never ever ever consider it "finders keepers". I only hope that someone would do the same for me in that circumstance. When it comes to a little kids souvenier I think only the meanest of the mean wouldn't turn it in.

We were in Epcot a few years ago, DD was 7 at the time, and she left her "Kimono Minnie Beanie" on a table near the American pavillion. About 15 minutes passed before she realized it was missing. So...we went back to see if it was still there...I did tell her that it probably would not be there. Well...it was not at the table so we asked someone who was cleaning up the area and he told us to check in the nearest gift shop. Guess what! Someone had turned it in a few minutes before. This was a great moment. My daughter still has the beanie and still talks about how honest the person was who returned it.

Fast forward to this past week....my daughter (now 10) and I were at a local mall and next to a table in the food court was a lost purse. (Just sitting on the floor next to a table.) My daughter was the one who noticed it. We watched it for a few moments and when it seemed like no one was returning we stood in line at the closest food stand (Arby's). Well the very rude manager told my daughter that it was the Mall's problem not his!! Not satisfied we looked for a security guard, it took about 10 minutes to find someone. Hopefully who ever left their purse now has it back.

I was very proud of my daughter.

Sorry so long:rolleyes:

The comment about "Finders/Keepers" really upset me.

Our next trip is in 38 days!! And if we find anything that is not ours, something we did not pay for; we will return it to lost & found.

It's a sad world we live in if "finders keepers" is how things work. I am currently dealing with a disease that causes me to not be able to focus or remember things the way I used to. I left my black purse in a dark booth at Backyard Burgers. It had 5 or 6 credit cards, my social security card, and $250 cash in it. I never carry cash but I had it that day. I was elated to get it back with my wallet and credit cards and had expected the cash to be gone - but guess what - it wasn't. This world we live in is a great place with a LOT of really good, honest people. It's the "finders keepers" people that make it not so great at times. Oh - and even before the disease I had left my purse at a restaurant a long time ago - again I got it all back? I consider myself very blessed - I'm not a dingbat - I had a huge gift basket to carry out the time before and again a black purse in a dark booth that just blended in. Always check lost and found - there is a chance that your item could be turned in. And to the OP I'm sorry your DD didn't have as good a luck and got a "finders keepers" person.

We have lost things and found things. Legally you do not own what you find, BTW, Sweet. Morally, it was a troll post if I ever saw one.

I guess it could have been a Disser:eek:

The sweetness,
Most people go to Disney with children and with all the comotion and kids running away its easy not to collect all your belongings. I think its wrong to ruin someones vacation by keeping waht they worked hard to purchase.

I found $100 on the floor of the Emporium one day at Christmas time. I handed it in to a CM. I could have easily kept it but I thought it may be the last cash someone had. I'm sorry, I think it's wrong to keep ANYTHING that isn't yours, whether cash or animate objects.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hi
I know the feeling. Our incident happened in the MCO airport.... my daughter is severely disabled and in a wheelchair. The security guard asked me to remove her from her chair and go in a seperate room for a quick body check. This was after 9/11.
We were gone from her chair no more than 5 minutes and when we came back to her chair... we discovered that it had been pushed to the side and her lanyard with 20+ pins that was hanging from the headrest was gone. I was angry at the preon who stole it off of a wheelchair and I was also upset at the security guard who made me leave the chair outside the room and didn't even watch it while I was gone!!!

Originally posted by SetzKitten
Wow, you're one tough cookie. In my book, if you didn't buy it or it wasn't given to you and it's obvious that it isn't yours, turn it in to lost and found. If no one claims it, then it's yours.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

Last time I checked, everyone forgets something, sometimes. This does not mean they deserve to have it stolen.

Originally posted by The Sweetness
If you leave something behind, such as leaving your purse on the table and walking out of the restaurant with your party, anything you left behind is your loss. Anyone recovering anything that they were careless enough to leave behind should consider themself blessed.

IMHO, there is ONE exception to this rule. If you happen to SEE someone drop something, or see them leaving something behind, it's only fair to say something to them. Other than that, finders keepers ... If you have lost something due to carelessness, maybe it will serve you as a lesson to be more carefull with your stuff

I can't believe you said that. If you didn't pay for it or if it wasn't given to you as a gift, then it is not yours to take. You probably have had a lot of things come back and kick you in the you-know-where if you have this attitude and have taken things that are not yours.

Originally posted by The Sweetness

IMHO, there is ONE exception to this rule. If you happen to SEE someone drop something, or see them leaving something behind, it's only fair to say something to them. Other than that, finders keepers ... If you have lost something due to carelessness, maybe it will serve you as a lesson to be more carefull with your stuff

The Sweetness

I just checked your profile. I see you have a 5yo daughter, you have not been to WDW in 5 years, and you live in South Miami. Since you live only a few hours away from WDW and have not been in 5 years I can only assume that there may be a financial reason you have not gone sooner. I do hope that you or your daughter do not get distracted while you are at WDW and that if you should be distracted and forget something under a table in a restaurant , or hanging on the back of a rest room door, that it is found by someone who does not believe in "finders keepers". I would hate for you to have to post about your ruined vacation because someone kept the property that you were so careless to lose.

I think The Sweetness' post pretty much sums up what is wrong with our world. People have that attitude, have been taught that attitude, teach people around them that attitude and see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I don't think it matters whether the item belonged to a child or an adult -- the issue is that it did NOT belong to the person who stole it. It's sad and very scary. Some of you have described it as "tough." That's not the words I would use. I'd go with dishonest, uncaring, ignorant -- the list can go on and on.

I know Michael Moore isn't popular on these boards, but his Bowling for Columbine has some major food for thought on what is wrong with our country. We don't trust each other and we're afraid of each other. Unfortunately, The Sweetness' post would seem to prove that we have to do that for our own protection.

Does anyone else find it especially offensive that The Sweetness used the word "blessed"?

When we were on our trip this past December, my Nephew took his wallet from his pocket on the bus, put it on the seat and promptly left it there when we got off the bus at AK.
I went sprinting for the bus (FURIOUS), but it was already gone.
We told them at the booth and within 30 minutes the wallet was returned back to us at AK. Everything was in it, ticket, cash, ID

We had only been there 3 days, but in that 3 days this incident was a long string of my nephew not paying attention, and being generally clueless....and he's not a little kid. I hate to say this, but it's true, my DH & I both agree that we wish someone had at least taken the $$$, just to teach him a lesson. I firmly believe that you learn a lot from your mistakes. Flame away.

PERSONALLY, I would never take anyones stuff nor would I let anyone I was with take anything that didn't belong to them.

We let him know, in no uncertain terms, that if he had been anywhere other than WDW, he probably NEVER would have seen any of it ever again.

I shipped a lost wallet back to someone who was visiting here from another state, and he sent me a reward which I believe was a lot more than what was in his wallet (I found cash when looking for an address, but I do not know how much.)....I'd rather be "blessed" in the true sense of the word!

If you find something at WDW or any other place and you did not buy it, bring it with you, or had it given to you as a gift (and no, found items are not gifts), it is not yours. You should not keep it.
You should turn it in so the person who lost it has a chance to find it.
Geez, my kids are 8 and 11 and understand this perfectly. ::yes::

I hope The Sweetness doesn't plan to go to WDW in Feb-March 2006. She needs Pixie Dust!:wizard:

Wow, how sad to come across a comment like The Sweetness'. :sad1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter