Someone interviewed for a job at my work AND (Update #64)

No, actually because Friday all he had asked was, "do you know her?" When given the opportunity - I.e. asked more specific questions - the OP could have provided more information.

All moot, of course, since it's now the end of the next workday and the OP has probably had the conversation.

Does anyone rally think that the question "do you know her?" Is all the ceo wants to know?

Do you know her?
yes
Ok, thanks

Not quite sure it ends at that.

Op here! I'm home from work, so I'm sorry I wasn't online today to see some of the later responses. I also wasn't able to answer the question about whether others had issues with her. I can only think of a couple of people who saw the way she worked. I was in a leadership role and a bit removed from many people. It can be lonely in my role. I also don't like to get personal with co-workers. I try to always stay upbeat and not wear my emotions on my sleeve.

Here it is in a nutshell:

I walked in to his office to make idle morning chit chat. After about 5 minutes of that, I casually mentioned that I wanted to get back to him about asking for my opinion on "Susie." I said, "Thank you so much for valuing my opinion when it comes to important roles within the organization, but unfortunately I am not able to recommend her for the HR position. If she remains a top candidate, I would be open to validating the concerns that I have." He jumped right into the conversation and told me that he doesn't need anything more because she really wasn't his top candidate after all! He just didn't want to speak negatively of her since he didn't know which way I was going to go with it. He was just being polite to begin with! I think he was just fishing for information. He seemed to be a bit less stressed today. I know he wants to take the time to find the right person even though I know how critical this role is. There are about 200 employees in my company.

So, I am very relieved that I don't have to work with her again. I value team members who are positive, engaging, productive and approachable! I need to lean on HR greatly because of my role. Ying needs to meet Yang here.

Thank you, fellow dissers, for walking me through all of this. I woke up just feeling sick to my stomach knowing that I had to face this head on today. I'm so thankful that it turned out well.

Op here! I'm home from work, so I'm sorry I wasn't online today to see some of the later responses. I also wasn't able to answer the question about whether others had issues with her. I can only think of a couple of people who saw the way she worked. I was in a leadership role and a bit removed from many people. It can be lonely in my role. I also don't like to get personal with co-workers. I try to always stay upbeat and not wear my emotions on my sleeve.

Here it is in a nutshell:

I walked in to his office to make idle morning chit chat. After about 5 minutes of that, I casually mentioned that I wanted to get back to him about asking for my opinion on "Susie." I said, "Thank you so much for valuing my opinion when it comes to important roles within the organization, but unfortunately I am not able to recommend her for the HR position. If she remains a top candidate, I would be open to validating the concerns that I have." He jumped right into the conversation and told me that he doesn't need anything more because she really wasn't his top candidate after all! He just didn't want to speak negatively of her since he didn't know which way I was going to go with it. He was just being polite to begin with! I think he was just fishing for information. He seemed to be a bit less stressed today. I know he wants to take the time to find the right person even though I know how critical this role is. There are about 200 employees in my company.

So, I am very relieved that I don't have to work with her again. I value team members who are positive, engaging, productive and approachable! I need to lean on HR greatly because of my role. Ying needs to meet Yang here.

Thank you, fellow dissers, for walking me through all of this. I woke up just feeling sick to my stomach knowing that I had to face this head on today. I'm so thankful that it turned out well.

Read the whole post and glad it worked out for you. :goodvibes

OP, some folks have given you good advice as to how to handle this. Make only statements that you can back up with a factual example.

I would also couch everything with "Remember, I worked with her X years ago in a company with a different culture, so it's hard for me to say how she'd fit in here".

Because you never know...she might have changed, obtained more experience and polish and may do well.

Sounds like your answer was just right.

In management speak, saying "I can't recommend her" is all it would take for me to see a big ole' red flag.

Further, I think you should take it as a compliment that your CEO was concerned enough about your opinion and potential reaction to him NOT hiring her that he was willing to let you try to sell her to you if she was someone you valued in the past.

That's great that it worked out and you were able to give him enough information to let him know that you couldn't recommend her. I hope your boss finds someone who works out. It's a huge task to hire someone for certain positions and getting someone who does a good job and works well with others is important.

Glad it worked out! I had a similar situation one time years ago. There was a girl that I didn't get along with, she didn't like that I had a higher position than her and wanted to make trouble. She liked to flirt with the men in the office and had them snowed. I was so happy when she moved to Florida with her husband. Then 3 or 4 years later they separated and she wanted to come back! We would be working closely together. I was straight up with my boss about what happened in the past, along with another executive. Luckily the other executive said if this girl has baggage, why don't we just forget it. Funny thing is I heard recently that she was working at Chipotle. Far cry from the top executive she acted like she was going to be some day.

I'm glad it worked out. I know you were stressed and worried. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter