• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Someone at WDW stole my Credit card info.

I think it is a Discover card thing......my card, which stays at home ....was used for fraudulent online purchases 3 times in the past year...

Could have been Disney staff. Could have been the mailman. Could have been someone with one of those wand things in the airport or parks.

Could have been a lot of people.

I once got a call from DH asking if I'd tried to transfer $20K to an account in Miami, lol. Of course I had not, but someone had...and the fraud people called to check. Since it was immediately after an Orlando trip, I had to figure that was tied in.

This stuff happens all the time. Our card's fraud people have caught it four times so far.

I got a wallet that blocks the RFID stuff and have switched back to using cash for almost all purchases.

This topic brings up an obvious question. Wouldn't it be better to use your KTTW card to charge everything at WDW thereby limiting the exposure of your credit card? Of course you might faint when you see the bill at check out. Ouch

JoeATC said:
This topic brings up an obvious question. Wouldn't it be better to use your KTTW card to charge everything at WDW thereby limiting the exposure of your credit card? Of course you might faint when you see the bill at check out. Ouch
You're checking out and your Magical Express bus back to the airport is coming in just a few minutes. The desk clerk shows you the folio with all those bogus charges to your room, some bogus charges from restaurants and gift shops you did really patronize so you are not sure. What do you do?

You're checking out and your Magical Express bus back to the airport is coming in just a few minutes. The desk clerk shows you the folio with all those bogus charges to your room, some bogus charges from restaurants and gift shops you did really patronize so you are not sure. What do you do?

We always check every couple of days and have them charge what is there. That way we are on top of what is being charged and can handle any problems.

We always check every couple of days and have them charge what is there. That way we are on top of what is being charged and can handle any problems.

We use our KTTW card to charge everything when on-property. We check our folio charges every 2 days or so. That's just the responsible thing to do. If you don't and are shocked using the scenario by seaShoreCM, then shame on you for not keeping a tab on your purchases. It's personal responsibility that helps you in avoiding being scammed. In the 20 plus years we've gone to Disney and have used our KTTW card to make charges, I have never had this happen to me. I still check my folio charges every day or every other day while I'm passing by front desk.

In addition, we use our credit card for major purchases only. We use our debit card for everything else. I've never had a problem with a fraudulent purchase, however if it did happen I could always have it disputed. While some banks may not give you back provisional credit immediately, most of the larger banks will. I use a debit card for everything in my daily life. I live and die by my debit card. I'd hate to use a revolving line of credit and/or credit card account for all purchases. Even if you paid it all back in full, you'd probably still have to pay some interest on the purchases unless you have a promotional rate, which will eventually expire. With my debit card I never worry about anything crazy like that and I simplify my life knowing that I won't ever have to pay interest for my everyday purchases. I have no idea how people function without a debit card for daily purchases as I could never bring myself to use a credit card for daily purchases.:crazy2:

~I totally agree! It's a good idea to stay on top of all your charges. We use the KTTW card for everything except tips and I make sure to hang on to every receipt. For the most part, I have never experienced any kind of error on my bill, only some confusion with the deluxe dining plan credits.

~Chase Bank does an excellent job on trying to stay on top of suspiscious charges!
:goodvibes

As much as some (particularly DISers) would like to believe, these kind of things do occur at WDW (like anywhere else). Every once and awhile it does occur. The chances of any of these other reasons are much slimmer than someone taking the info at WDW. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go there, just be aware that WDW is not immune to these things.

This happened to a friend of mine as well, and she never even GOT the card!!! It was "shipped" according to the CC company, but somehow there were a bunch of charges in Mexico?!?!?

Her CC company took care of it, but it just goes to show, there are other ways of getting CC numbers that are "brand new".

How can this happen, also to pp that mentioned the same thing? Our cc's are totally useless until we call and activate them from our *home* phone. No other phone used will do.

In May I had a credit card that was only used at check in and then locked in the safe at Beach Club. Luckily, I had called the bank before leaving and let them know I would be travelling. When an online charge was attempted the bank would not let it go through. They called me and we arranged to only let a charge to Disney go through. Here is something valuable that I learned: The staff member that checks you in is to swipe the card through the computer and hand it right back to you. Never let them rest it on top of the keyboard to finish checking you in. A thief is able to get your info in a matter of 1 minute or less and then they can capture a glance at the three digit number on the back of your card as they hand it back to you. I filed a police complaint and gave info to my credit card company, Since Disney is able to confirm who checked me in I hope the person was fired and jailed. Good Luck to you.

North of Mouse said:
How can this happen, also to pp that mentioned the same thing? Our cc's are totally useless until we call and activate them from our *home* phone. No other phone used will do.

They don't have to be activated, most of the time. They will work regardless.

We use our KTTW card to charge everything when on-property. We check our folio charges every 2 days or so. That's just the responsible thing to do. If you don't and are shocked using the scenario by seaShoreCM, then shame on you for not keeping a tab on your purchases. It's personal responsibility that helps you in avoiding being scammed. In the 20 plus years we've gone to Disney and have used our KTTW card to make charges, I have never had this happen to me. I still check my folio charges every day or every other day while I'm passing by front desk.

In addition, we use our credit card for major purchases only. We use our debit card for everything else. I've never had a problem with a fraudulent purchase, however if it did happen I could always have it disputed. While some banks may not give you back provisional credit immediately, most of the larger banks will. I use a debit card for everything in my daily life. I live and die by my debit card. I'd hate to use a revolving line of credit and/or credit card account for all purchases. Even if you paid it all back in full, you'd probably still have to pay some interest on the purchases unless you have a promotional rate, which will eventually expire. With my debit card I never worry about anything crazy like that and I simplify my life knowing that I won't ever have to pay interest for my everyday purchases. I have no idea how people function without a debit card for daily purchases as I could never bring myself to use a credit card for daily purchases.:crazy2:

Why, what is so bad about using a credit card for everyday purchases? :confused3 We have a debit which we do use for a few things, but *always* use our credit card otherwise. We have done this for many *years*, pay it off each month, and have never paid 1 cent in interest!

And, no, we do not have a promotional rate (actually don't know what the interest rate is right off, and don't care) and *cannot* be charged *any* interest whatsoever if we pay the balance off every month like we do, and have always done. Where did you hear that you can be charged interest on a paid off balance each month?

So, what's so crazy and worrisome about that? I would really like to know what you are so afraid of?

Also, we too use our room card for charges at Disney, and so far have never had any issues.

In May I had a credit card that was only used at check in and then locked in the safe at Beach Club. Luckily, I had called the bank before leaving and let them know I would be travelling. When an online charge was attempted the bank would not let it go through. They called me and we arranged to only let a charge to Disney go through. Here is something valuable that I learned: The staff member that checks you in is to swipe the card through the computer and hand it right back to you. Never let them rest it on top of the keyboard to finish checking you in. A thief is able to get your info in a matter of 1 minute or less and then they can capture a glance at the three digit number on the back of your card as they hand it back to you. I filed a police complaint and gave info to my credit card company, Since Disney is able to confirm who checked me in I hope the person was fired and jailed. Good Luck to you.

I keep a piece of electrical tape over those numbers. They are always hidden, until the tape is removed.

Why, what is so bad about using a credit card for everyday purchases? :confused3

Nothing! I agree with you. We use our credit cards for almost everything and accumulate cash back. I've never paid a cent in credit card interest because I pay off my balance every month.

Interesting thread. I have a Bank of America MC that I never use. And I literally mean never.

Except this year when I used it to pay for our trip. Was not able to do it online at the time, so I called the WDW reservation number.

Gave the CC information to the CM who processed my call.

Less than a week later, I get a call from BoA because two charges were made to my CC that they detected as fraud - one to a McDonalds and one to Sears, both in California.

When making purchases online you need a few things. Of course, the credit card number, the expiration date, the security code, but you also need your billing address and that would be hard for most cast members because that information is only available to a select few.

In these times, most peoples credit card information is not stolen from the actual vendor it is used, but rather through databases. A couple years ago TJ Maxx was hacked and hundreds of thousands of people had their CC stolen, but it wasn't stolen by anyone at TJ Maxx.

There are quite a few possibilities and it isn't necessarily someone at WDW stealing your CC info.

Exactly.

Also, there are apps which generate credit card numbers (with expiration dates/etc.) with all of the correct checksums. They just generate a bunch of numbers and start charging to see which ones are valid. When they do they charge as much as they can.

But, more often than not, it's not as technologically-advanced as this or someone hacking a database, rather, it's someone keeping your information when you pay for dinner or something. Very easy to do and the bad guys can pay a lot for these numbers.

Think of it this way, some water/waitress working at the Crackerbarrell making peanuts plus tips gets offered $50 or $100 (or whatever) for each bit of cc info they get them. Much easier for them to get numbers this way than hacking a system.

Heck, VyStar--a bank around here--recently was involved in a situation where tellers were doing this.

It's a shame but it can happen much easier than you think. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Why, what is so bad about using a credit card for everyday purchases? :confused3 We have a debit which we do use for a few things, but *always* use our credit card otherwise. We have done this for many *years*, pay it off each month, and have never paid 1 cent in interest!

And, no, we do not have a promotional rate (actually don't know what the interest rate is right off, and don't care) and *cannot* be charged *any* interest whatsoever if we pay the balance off every month like we do, and have always done. Where did you hear that you can be charged interest on a paid off balance each month?

So, what's so crazy and worrisome about that? I would really like to know what you are so afraid of?

Also, we too use our room card for charges at Disney, and so far have never had any issues.

It's a total pain in the *** for me. I'd rather use the money in my bank account and be done with it. No worrying about having to login to a 3rd party site to make a payment to a credit card and/or have to sign up for autopayments for a balance that may or may not be correct. It's about convenience and using my credit wisely - not for everyday purchases. You see things differently, good for you. I understand that you'd rather not have your disposable funds in your bank account taken up if/when an unauthorized/incorrect purchase should hit your account, however that's a bit over the top. I've never had issues with my debit or credit card accounts that required to have funds replaced. Good for me, but it has happened to my wife and that was taken care of by the bank immediately - same day. I don't go through life thinking that someone's going to steal my money as we are all covered by Federal Regulation E which makes a bank dispute any unauthorized transactions you report.

Plus my rewards program helps me to earn points which got me 3 extra days last week and 1 free plane ticket. While I could do that with my credit card too, I'd rather use the funds so I don't incur a balance. I like the "if I don't have the $ now, don't charge it if it's not something I absolutely do not need now" philosophy. If there's anything I missed, PM me and keep it out of the thread.

We were there about the same time 11/24 and my mother had her card charged too. The only store she used it at was at the world of Disney to buy a sweatshirt. Before and after that she hasn't used that card so it had to happen at the world of Disney in downtown Disney.

If its a newish card they can be read with a reader you can buy of ebay for about $25, it can still be in your bag when they do it.

someone beat me to it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter