Somebody stop me please!

ebtbmom

DIS Veteran
So I was checking out that ground transportation post and read on there about taking a limo, I had not even considered this as a possibility! I called Limo Zone and it would cost 240$ LAX to DLR for me, DS 11, DN 13 :scared1: and I am totally considering this. It would be for the Hummer Limo that has a disco floor, fire place, and outdoor seating.

Am I insane or what? My son LOVES hummers and has never ridden in one. Plus, he's not that excited over going to DLR because he's not a ride or walking person :) and I'm thinking this maybe would be something he really gets excited over (of course I would keep it a secret ;)).

So is this an insane price, am I crazy for considering it? Normally I'm a total cheap skate but I've been lucky with saving up money for the trip and the budget is pretty loose. Somebody talk me out of this, DH is no help because he thinks it's a great idea!

Why not just rent a Hummer? Would be a more Hummer-ish experience for your son than a limo version. I've ridden in a limo version and it's not comfortable, and just feels like a limo (which I personally find boring and prommy) once you're inside.

Then again, I'm assuming that theirs is taller than the one I was in (my friend had something like 9 groomsmen and bridesmaids, and that was really the only choice for her wedding) with the dance floor...might be better.

That's a very expensive ride and I always think that people who ride in Limos are pretentious. I wouldn't do it.

I'm definitely not a Hummer-type. I'm not even a limo-type! (Okay, if someone wanted to surprise me with a limo ride, I wouldn't refuse, but otherwise I'm going with the safest, least expensive option.) But, a car that has a fireplace, outdoor seating, and a disco floor? That's a sight to behold!

Having two DDs who are way into all-things-princess-and-fairy, a Hummer-style ride isn't somthing that our family will be looking into, but I have to admit a certain prurient curiosity about what that vehicle looks like!

okay first off- how often do you go to DL? If its alot and this wouldn't be that special then I say skip it.... BUT if you don't get to go often and this is a big deal....then do it! You only live once, you never know what tomorrow brings and if it'll start your vaca off with everyone having a blast ...why the heck not...

Funny though that you DH thinks its a good idea. Classic, love it!

We a lot of times have 10 in our family that go. Last year my mom surprised us with hummer limo. The price was actually not to much more considering the number of people, like 50$ maybe. It was awesome. I don't really agree with it being pretentious either. It just makes it more magical. :) Have your camera ready!

I wouldn't be doing it to show off or be pretentious. I am one of the cheapest, most frugal people around and we typically are not a big spending money wasting family. If this were just for me and DH I would NEVER consider it, I just want to see the look on DS face when he realizes he gets to ride in it, of course he could not be that excited and then I'd be upset :sad1:. What does it take to get an 11yr old boy excited? Plus, he's not excited thrilled about the trip itself, he's kind of over the Disney thing and I'm just wondering if this would set things off right and get him in a pumped up mood.

Of course, when we arrive at the DL hotel I might not could get him out of it!:rotfl:

check out the pics on http://alimozone.com/fleet.php if you want to, I'm thinking about either the white or red hummer limo.

Plus, to answer someone's question, this is our first over night trip to DL, we live in NC so it'll be a while before we're back.

Please don't think I'm a snob, I'm a total bargain shopper, buy whatever's cheapest type of person, but I just want something to excite DS.

Who cares what other people think about a limo driving by? IF they even think of it at all... it's a pretty common thing these days imho.

I say that if you can afford it... then go for it and have some fun! If he's not uber excited about it then look at it this way... he WILL remember it. I work with kids and teens and I have to tell you... sometimes things don't impress upon them at the exact moment, but it does eventually. Wait til he realizes he can brag to his friends about it! LOL

But don't be upset if he doesn't react as you'd want... 11 yr old boys can be that way... it's pretty natural. Also realize that it's not a "regular" Hummer which may be what he's thinking of and which you may want to consider too. In any case you can think of it as a great relaxing ride... heck maybe you'll even get caught in traffic and you can enjoy it longer. It's sure beats taking the bus!!!!

Oh my goodness, I looked at the inside of that thing and all I could think of was that silly movie from the 80's, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. What an over the top way to start your Disneyland Vacation.

As a mom to a teenaged son, I say go for it since it is in your budget. Part of the fun of having kids is having an excuse to do stuff you would NEVER do under other circumstances.

Yee Haw, have fun, and take lots of pictures.

Oh my goodness, I looked at the inside of that thing and all I could think of was that silly movie from the 80's, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. What an over the top way to start your Disneyland Vacation.

As a mom to a teenaged son, I say go for it since it is in your budget. Part of the fun of having kids is having an excuse to do stuff you would NEVER do under other circumstances.

Yee Haw, have fun, and take lots of pictures.

I second this!!! I think it's so sweet that you're trying to think of something to make your DS excited about the trip. And, like MathomAndStuff wrote, even if he doesn't jump up and down right away, it's something he's not likely to forget!

My DS13 looked at it & says of course! If it's not much more than a cab go for it. I'd love it too.

You could likely rent a car for the week for the same price (my cheapness coming thru)

I understand that you are trying to do something special for him, but I'll play devil's advocate a while longer. If he's not excited about the trip already, won't the actual vacation part be even a bigger let down after the limo ride? Who wants the high point of their vacation to be the transportation to get there? Everything else is just downhill.

It sounds like you are worried that your DS will not have a good time and are grasping at straws to make it better for him. I have a 10-year old daughter and I know some of the boys in her class. I could see some of them being "too cool" for DL in advance but loving it once they got there. If your DS really does feel he's "too cool" for DL, no amount of money thrown away on a limo ride will make it better. If he's just playing "too cool" then he will come around once you're there no matter how you get there.

Just looked at the website and I say "Go For It!". I don't see the point in taking a vacation if you don't get to do everything you want to do. That is definately a ride I would enjoy taking!

:goodvibes It looks like so much fun I dialed out to see how much it would cost for our group when we arrive in a couple of weeks! :cool1:

Is this a special trip? A once in a lifetime sort of trip? Then I'd say do it. We went to WDW in '08 and we will never go again (well, maybe with grandkids in like, twenty years). Not because we don't want to! But because there are only so many vacation dollars and we have a bunch of other destinations we'd like to hit. That being said, we got a limo and it was wonderful. But I would never do it for a trip that I did once or twice a year. So if Disneyland is something you do often, I'd say no limo. Also, if you'd be disappointed if your son didn't enjoy himself, you are just setting yourself up. If you can do it freely, because YOU want to and this is a rare and special event, then go for it. Otherwise, save it up for his first prom!

Tracy

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

are you kidding me - be sure to bring a cd along that he likes so he can get some jams goin and not have to hope they come on the radio

fish tanks ? dance floor? I am guessing he wont get up and dance - but he will go to the outside seating and make sure people are looking

if he doesnt wanna go I will :cool1:

did I mention I have 4 girls - I am doomed to horse drawn carriges...

It's awesome that you want to do that, but those hummer limos get 8miles a gallon. Hummers 12 miles and a stretch limo 15. I'm not a total green nut, but that is really awful.

It's awesome that you want to do that, but those hummer limos get 8miles a gallon. Hummers 12 miles and a stretch limo 15. I'm not a total green nut, but that is really awful.

Thanks for everyone's replies, I think I'm going to go for it.

We had an insane coincidence tonight. We were watching 17 Again for family movie night, and there is a brief scene where there is a white stretch limo Hummer to take a woman on a date. My son was like "cool man, check that out". Is that crazy that we happened to pick that movie to watch tonight while I was wondering if I should blow this large amount of money, or what?:) And, I know it seems like I'm blowing a huge amount of money, but I have a PRN job (I'm a nurse) on nights and weekends and I save all of that money for vacations just so that we can have fun and spend more liberally on vacation than we do on a day to day basis.

Just wanted to add that my son doesn't think he's "too cool" for Disney, he really doesn't like rides that much, especially thrill rides. We went last year for a day and his favorite was the Storybook Land Boats. He loves pin trading and the Star Wars stuff.

Does it sound like I'm justifying? DH says I agonize over every dollar, oh well I only have 1 kid and he's only a kid once!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter