Some WDW trips not for family?

When I was in high school my parents though it'd be cool to do a 3 week road trip out west in an RV. We were all jerks about it (me and my siblings). Sometimes you just have to drag kids along at that age. Oh yeah... and I was well traveled by that time, been overseas a few times, Canada, Mexico, 30 something states... it was lack of variation. I think teenagers are just... well teenagers. I loved Disney World in high school as long as I could go off on my own.

My kids will be going with us. I'd probably let them bring a friend once in middle school and let them do their own thing by high school. The joy of DVC I guess. We don't only vacation at Disney anyways. My kids are very young and have been through Europe, we currently live in Alaska, and traveled around the states quite a bit. I'm sure it will continue.

So, here's the thing...

The situation we have here is really not "parents pay, parents decide" vs. "kids have opinions, too." The issue here is, "Strangers on the internet (and even well-meaning family friends) cannot make decisions for others and cannot judge what is best for another family based on one hearsay paragraph on an internet forum."

This is no one's business! We don't have any clue what the actual situation is here. I don't think any of us would appreciate our families' decisions being analyzed by strangers on the internet...without us even having an opportunity to weigh in. :confused3

I don't know how to quote on my phone but agree with PP. Who knows what decisions are really driving this? Not me. Maybe they invested in DVC or another timeshare and it is all they can afford now? Maybe child 3 still likes to go and parents are trying to give that child #3 the same Disney vacations the first two enjoyed for years? Maybe the kids wouldn't be happy anywhere so they figure they will at least go where they and possibly #3 are happy? And maybe factors I can't even guess are coming into play. Each family needs to figure out what works for them and unfortunately that doesn't mean every family member is happy with every decision made.

If there is monetary issue such as a DVC investment driving going to WDW again then I think they should go there again. Otherwise I don't understand why the parents aren't at least willing to discuss the possibility of going somewhere else and I'm not someone who believes in allowing my kids to have a say in all of our family decisions. Growing up I didn't get a lot of fancy treats such as a Nintendo or designer clothes like a lot of my classmates did. My parents instead spent the money on educational trips to Europe during off season times when they could great deals and often for less than travel in the US. Some of my best childhood memories are of those trips and I learned a lot during them. I think it's cool and fun to go to DL and WDW but there's a whole world out there waiting to be explored. Instead of just giving your child the simulcrum of a country at Epcot take them to another country if you are able to do so.

Actually to all of those who keep saying that we don't know the issues...that's not true. As I said in the original post I'm know them well. They have plenty of money. The mom is just obsessed with WDW so she won't budge. She's living out her dreams on every trip. The rest just have no say.

Actually to all of those who keep saying that we don't know the issues...that's not true. As I said in the original post I'm know them well. They have plenty of money. The mom is just obsessed with WDW so she won't budge. She's living out her dreams on every trip. The rest just have no say.

If she was obsessed with going annually to some other destination, would we be having this discussion? Or are you for some reason on the verge of accusing her of mistreating her children only because she is forcing the poor unfortunate souls to go to WDW?

Just very glad my family operates differently. That's all. Glad I'm a little more in touch with my family as a whole. A lot of people here are pretty defensive of them. Wonder if it's hitting a little close to home?

If she was obsessed with going annually to some other destination, would we be having this discussion? Or are you for some reason on the verge of accusing her of mistreating her children only because she is forcing the poor unfortunate souls to go to WDW?

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: ;)

There is an inherent contradiction in your post. You imply in your examples quoted above that certain vacations that your children didn't enjoy were less than satisfactory if not abject failures, suggesting that you wouldn't want to repeat that experience. So why, then, is it a good idea for you or others to drag kids to WDW if they would be as miserable there as your kids were skiing in the cold? Taking kids skiing when they don't enjoy it is somehow a bad vacation, but taking kids to WDW when they don't enjoy it makes for a good vacation?

As for not having to go, it's kind of hard leaving an eight year old "Home Alone". I saw that movie. It doesn't work.

Hey Jimmy -

Actually there is no contradiction in my post. Because once the kiddos complained about going to Disney I stopped bringing them there. (the one who did not complain did get to go)

Lucky for me... once they began to complain they were old enough to be left at home with supervision.

When the kiddos who complained realized they were being left behind.... alas they stopped complaining and even looked forward to the next WDW vacation! This was last May and we all had a fabulous time... with NO complaints !

HUGS
Mary

So, here's the thing...

The situation we have here is really not "parents pay, parents decide" vs. "kids have opinions, too." The issue here is, "Strangers on the internet (and even well-meaning family friends) cannot make decisions for others and cannot judge what is best for another family based on one hearsay paragraph on an internet forum."

This is no one's business! We don't have any clue what the actual situation is here. I don't think any of us would appreciate our families' decisions being analyzed by strangers on the internet...without us even having an opportunity to weigh in. :confused3

You've "Hit the Nail on the Head" as my Dad used to say....

YES !

Sorry. I don't get this at all. This smacks of pure Disney myopia. Are you telling me that after ten consecutive years of going to WDW, if your kids came to you and said:

"Dad, we are studying U.S. history and we'd really like to go to Boston, Philadelphia, or Williamsburg for vacation this year",
or
"Dad, we are really interested in the arts, and we'd like to go to Paris to see the Louvre", you would say: "Suck it up Buttercup. I'm paying and we're going to Epcot and you can see France there and watch Ben Franklin and Mark Twain teach you about history!"

Part of parenting is teaching. If your kids want to expand their horizons, you have an obligation to foster their growth. It's called being a parent. Even if it inconveniences your annual trip to spin on the Tea Cups. Honestly. Only on a Disney chat board would you find such a: "I ain't letting my kids' preferences get in the way of my Disney fun" attitude.

:thumbsup2 Awesome post. So true.

I think it very selfish and short-minded for the parents to go to Disney for TEN straight years and not even to think about perhaps going somewhere else.......

Talk about not expanding your kids horizons....which is part of a parents job.

Lucky for me... once they began to complain they were old enough to be left at home with supervision.
HUGS
Mary

Got it. :thumbsup2
I guess I'm thinking about this from the perspective of the kids bring 'tweens who can't be left at home, leaving the choice as bring the kids along year after year even though they don't enjoy it versus trying to find an alternative. From reading your earlier post, I gleaned that you did not repeat the skiing or DC adventures. So I gather that had the kids been equally miserable at WDW, you wouldn't have repeated that either. That being the case, you are correct that there is no inconsistency.

Glad I wasn't the only one who had this exact thought.

fact is: Lots of parents take their kids to the same places every year, all over the country.

ex: where I'm from people go up north to a cabin every year.
Lots of parents don't take their kids anywhere on vacation, much less ask for input.

Just very glad my family operates differently. That's all. Glad I'm a little more in touch with my family as a whole. A lot of people here are pretty defensive of them. Wonder if it's hitting a little close to home?

Soooooooo....anyone who doesn't share your perspective is defensive and is out of touch with their family? Emphasis on the THEIR family. You know, the one that you have absolutely no knowledge of?

Only in America would people feel sorry for kids who get to go on a family vacation to ride roller coasters every year. They actually get to go on a family vacation.

We went camping at the same small beach town every year. Since we lived in a beach town, a better one IMO than the one we visited, it definitely wouldn't have been my first choice. Getting to go on vacation was great, wherever we went.

I also made sure that I saved and went to Europe with a high school group (with the help of my wonderful parents) and then took a semester in Italy in college. Maybe not having variety as a kid helped me take it upon myself to travel. If the parents have plenty of money, maybe the kids could help themselves by searching out similar programs and getting a job.

I think people are defensive of the neighbors because this attack on them seems unwarranted... judging people the rest of us don't know. The whole "walk a mile in a man's shoes" seems appropriate here, even if you do know them.

Oh and lest you think I defend myself... I have a 3 year old who would go every day if I said ok. I tell him our pass isn't good for days it is because 26 times to DLR this year was just enough for me. We also go to the pool/beach once a week, the zoo and a variety of other places.

Being 14, I get the "You're going to Disney? That's kind of kiddish..." and whatever from some of my friends. (usually the ones that have never been :thumbsup2) But, on the other hand, some of my friends still go to Disney and loove it. It really depends on the kid if they think they've "outgrown" it or not. P.S. I know for a fact I never will! :thumbsup2

But, honestly, I don't think that should matter. If my parents want to spend a TON of money on me and my sister and take us on a nice vacation then I'm grateful no matter where we go. Some kids I know don't ever get to go on vacation, so I kind of have to realize how lucky we are that we go to Disney all the time.

But I also still LOVE Disney, so I wouldn't ask to go anywhere else even if it was totally up to me. :rotfl::cloud9:

I just don't think it's fair to force the family to take their vacation to the same place every year for 15 years if the kids have lost interest. That defeats the whole purpose of a family vacation.

In 20 years of vacationing with my parents, I was never once consulted on where we would be vacationing. Once I was old enough to stay home, either alone or with an agreeing grandparent, that option was available. But, my parents (and I, now that I'm an adult) believed that whoever was footing the bill, gets to decide where to go. Even when we travel together now, if they are paying, I'm just grateful for the free trip!

I understand and agree, to a point, that parents pay and decide where to take family vacations. But what I don't get is the mentality that one would want to take their kids to the same place year after year after year. And let us not drag into the discussion the whole, "But some child in Uganda is not getting yearly vacations) we are talking about parents who can afford vacations yearly and they choices that they make and their children.

When I was little, we went on a variety of trips. Sure, we went back to some places. But the whole point of vacations in my parents mind was to provide a source of new experiences, sites, places and people.

And this whole, "It is my way or the highway(funny to think of in terms of vacations)" mentality seems ridiculous past a certain age with kids. Sure, your 2 year old should not be adding her input, but you couldn't care less where and what your 12 year old wants to experience? That seems rather odd.

So I do understand where these kids are coming from. And I don't think that they are brats for wanting a different vacation experience after doing the disney thing for SO many years.

So, here's the thing...

This was my exact thought as I was reading through all of the posts. We don't know all of the facts. In this case, I must say MYOB to the OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter