• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Some Thoughts on My Recent DCL Cruise

Chris, by all means don't cancel because of the perception of rude people. Sure, there were a few. But, we booked another cruise a year from now because we had a great time. And since we have been back, I have told everyone who asked how wonderful the cruise was.

We were on the magic western April 30th and this was our 5th cruise. I have to say because of the rudeness of the other guests we did not rebook. It took the magic away from everyone else because it made the cm's so tense. I spoke to one girl who was not going back at the end of her contract. We are going to wait til at least 2007 if there is a special cruise we will think about it. There was a fist fight at the Golden Mickey's over seats (2 women)that was the last straw.

It's a shame, but no matter where you go these days... the mall, the grocery store, the local park, the movies, and yes even Disney and DCL... there are rude people... I think somewhere in the past decade or so, the idea of manners and consideration got lost.

Just a testimony on why good parenting is so important. You can't avoid rude people, no matter where you go or how hard you try, but I don't tolerate it either. Just the other week on my flight back from Disneyland there was a VERY RUDE and intoxicated gentlemen in the terminal at LAX waiting to board my flight. He approached, physically grabbed and yelled at SEVERAL passagers, and the sad thing is US air let him board!!! They tolerated it and allowed it to continue and escalate. Several passagers still waiting to board were upset he actually got on the plane, but they wouldn't say anything. Well, I went up to the gate and told the US air agent that if that gentleman yelled or grabbed me, I would charge him with assult and sue the airline, since they would be liable. That seemed to knock some sense into them, and they went and asked the intoxicated gentleman to get off the flight.

All we can do is give strong, suggestive feedback to the rude people, in a calm, and respectful manner, and vow to make sure we raise our children to be respectful people, so that this trend in rudeness doesn't become as pervasive as it is now.

You will find rude people EVERYWHERE!
BUT I find that most of the people I have dealt with all over the globe are inherently nice people. We seem to forget the dozens of wonderful people we meet on a trip (from servers to other guests), unfortunately those couple of horrific experiences are so much easier to remember! (it's kinda like being a teacher...it is SO much easier to remember the bad kids than the good ones! But there are SO many more good ones...it just doesn't always seem like it!)
Additionally, everyone comes home w/ a different perspective. We ADORED our first cruise, on the Star PRincess last Oct. But there were many negative reviews. Was it perfect?NO! But frankly we have always had a great time wherever we have gone (even though we might not ever want to return to those places again), so attitude is EVERYTHING!
Paige, sounds like your attitude is just fine, the cruise was fantastic, with a couple of glitches!
Looking forward to our first DCL cruise w/ the kids over Xmas! (and back to Princess sans children next fall!)
Happy cruising!
Kris

I, too, use those occasions as teachable moments w/ my kids.
After a particularly "RUDE" day this summer, I realized that perhaps people do not even realize what they are doing, and have taken it upon myself to be the "rude police". No one seems to be willing to let these people know that their behaviors are socially unacceptable--WELL, I AM! (no flaming here...you know you want to, too!)
I have POLITELY informed these people how I need them to behave. ("Excuse me, could you please move your cart from the middle of the aisle since we are backed up 2 deep in either direction?" or "I'm sure that mistakes happen, and I find that kindness and understanding tends to get me the solution I want")
Being a teacher, I have often had to correct children's behaviors at the park, or wherever, when parents aren't paying attention (or don't care), but the adult thing is new for me...but generally people are shocked, silent & change their behavior! Baby steps....
I am always polite--I would be just as bad if I were b*tchy about it.
Haven't figured out how to correct those rude drivers yet... :earboy2:
Hey, maybe we can start a movement...years ago people were more polite to one another, and admonished each other for unacceptable behavior. I think we can do the same w/ kindness & politeness. (I find many of my students truly do NOT know how to behave because of their role models at home...then they grow up to be adults who do not know how to behave unless we teach them!)
Sorry....I'll get off my soapbox.
Paige--Glad you enjoyed your trip. Sorry it's over!
Chris--keep the cruise, you will love the experience.
Happy (polite!) cruising!
Kris

Exactly KKB...

Sorta like my Proactive Nonsmoker movement I started... I bet I will get flamed for this...

But I didn't like the fact people could smoke in restaurants.. sure there were non smoking and smoking sections... but really, does a planter block that much smoke?

So me a my friends started this group called the Proactive Nonsmokers.. when going to a restaurant.. we would ask to sit in the smoking section, even though we didn't smoke... figured if enough people did this, it would turn into a nonsmoking restaurant!

It takes not putting up with the things we don't agree with, and having passion around our beliefs that get it to change! The late Rosa Parks would agree!

PearlandPaige said:
Just got off the 10/15 Magic and thought I'd share a few thoughts on the cruise - good and bad. I'll start with the bad first, but please keep in mind that I rebooked while on the cruise, so the bad couldn't have been that bad (sorry for the long post)...

And by the way, the same guy wore a thong on Castaway Cay. Double yuck.

The question is- Was it a a Mickey Mouse thong??? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think that is pretty gross myself...

natsmom125 said:
Paige....

Did I read your post wrong..........did you say.........

SCOOPS IS GONE????????????????????????????????

No more ice cream......no more fruit...........

Please tell me it "ain't" so..........??????????? And these tired eyes mis-read.........

Phyllis :confused3

I have not seen it first hand, but my understanding is that Scoops was expanded/renovated and renamed to "Goofy's Galley". Wish someone would post a picture, curious what it looks like now.

halestrm said:
I figure RUDE people this way, they are in the grocery store, at the parks, in restrarants, basically everywhere. I expect rude people. I just plan on dealing with them the way I always do. I turn to DD6 and say "here is a perfect example of why you are to never behave this way, not only is it rude, but it makes you look foolish and ugly!"
That is perfect! And sooo appropriate.
Let's hope that we won't run into any of that on our cruise halestrm, I am getting really excited too. We leave 4 weeks from tomorrow!

And thanks for your review Paige, I really enjoyed it! We don't drink alcohol, so it was very helpful to know that they have alot of CHEAPER non alcoholic drinks for us too....we were wondering about that! :teeth:

suecate said:
There was a fist fight at the Golden Mickey's over seats (2 women)that was the last straw.
That is AWFUL!! SHAME on them.... :sad2:

Luckily we haven't had a problem w/ rude people as a matter of fact I was kind of surprised with some of the generosity. But with that many it's bound to happen...it's truly a shame.

I just returned fromthe 3 day Wonder this sunday the 23rd. :sad2: I am 21 weeks along right now and I agree with the OP: travelling while pregnant was fun! Better than I thought! The virgin drinks are wonderful!

You know what drove me crazy? The constant Disney music everywhere. Believe me, I LOVE WDW but that music drove me nutty. It was at the Mickey pool, in the lobby, in the halls..... I need to deprogram. I loved our cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat... I will just try to go to the quiet pool more often while the kids are having fun at the kids club! :teeth:

hygienejean said:
You know what drove me crazy? The constant Disney music everywhere. Believe me, I LOVE WDW but that music drove me nutty. It was at the Mickey pool, in the lobby, in the halls..... I need to deprogram. I loved our cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat... I will just try to go to the quiet pool more often while the kids are having fun at the kids club! :teeth:

Oh it is everywhere, and this isn't a flame--its just a contrast (reasonable minds can differ on matters of personal preference, thats why there's vanilla AND chocolate)--i made a CD of my favorite disney and disney-distributed pixar tunes that i pop in about an hur and a half north of the port while driving down I-95. Then upon embarkation, just listening to even something from Mary Poppins while in a hallway going to make a spa or palo ressie, it feels welcoming and soothing (i use the word soothing A LOT in relation to DCL), and I marvel at that little touch, thinking "what other cruise line has its own proprietary songbook of tunes?--and iggy pop's lust for life may be used by RCCL, but it is not proprietary!).

But if it got to be a bit much for you, that's fair feedback for you to make as well.

I do tell people that the characters are NOT in your face constantly, that there are schedules and appearances and events...but not all the time...okay, so once in a while you open your eyes on a lounge by the pool and here comes the genie from alladin walking up the deck in your direction...that's a bad thing?

I agree wholeheartedly with the question by the OP about how can people get so angry in paradise. And so many on-target responses--because that's who that person is. The scary part is if the rude people actually were--relatively speaking--relaxed, and that was them at their best you witnessed...wonder what they're like when they're not on vacation! Eeeekkk!!!!

I'm lucky--I've got 17 months for them to fix the glitch of broken ice cream machines in goofy's galley.

So I'll be ready to order mickey bars from room service more than just in the evening before DS' bedtime. And I hope that they dont eventually remove mickey bars from the room service...well, they're not actually ON the menu, but from the availability...for goodness sake, its a disney cruise, gotta have ice cream!!

We had a wonderful trip!!!

We did not experience any rudness towards our family,but we did see a couple of spouses getting in huge arguments...Kind of funny!! I just can't believe people would scream at each other in public that way! ecspecially at Pirate night!! OMG! pirate: AARG!

Then we say a Mother in law and Son in law get into a screaming match when we were leaving! :confused3

Tension's run high sometimes with heat and crowds I guess.

Our group had a blast and can not wait to go back!!!!

By the way I did take the stairs every chance I got! Elevator take to long and I had ate too much food anyway!! :goodvibes

We had a SPR room and loved it! perfect location!
Window is just great cause we are never in the room to enjoy the balcony. :banana:

Just ignore the rude people! Don't let them ruin your trip!

Paige,
I met you while waiting to get on the ship. So you did meet a Diser...We sat right in from of you guys while waiting to board. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter