Some things Disney Magic can't fix

Leofoenget

DIS Veteran
For the second time in less than a year, we have had bad cancer news in the family. Last year just before I got in my car to drive to DL, I checked my email one last time before I left and learned a very close friend had stage 4 colon cancer. :scared1: I tried very hard to not dwell on the news but it was always in the back of my mind on my trip.

Fast forward to today. I am planning another trip to LA with a side trip to DL. I am supposed to drag a bunch of my mother's "stuff" to my sister's house. My mother got diagnosed with Alzheimers about 6 weeks ago and I am cleaning out some of her stuff, old family antiques, to bring to my sisters house in June. The exact same week I went last year. Today she , Sister, called. She has in operable "bile duct/liver cancer" :confused:(who knew you could get cancer in your bile duct??) I am still planning on going, both to her house and onto Disneyland. Again I will try not to dwell on it, but it will be hard.... some things Disney Magic just can't fix

I am so sorry you are having such a sad time. I actually have a girlfriend who has been battling bile duct cancer for many years- I don't know if it is the same as what your mother has, but hers is more common in 50 year old chinese men (she is a 40 year old caucasian)- and they believe she may have it because her bile duct has a genetic extra flap of some kind. She just had good news, her counts are going down. Anyway, you never know what the future holds- it's a crazy ride. You're right, some things Disney magic can't fix- but it can help you to be happy when times are rough, and recharge you to deal with what's ahead.:hug:

Janette, I am so sorry for you and your sad news.
I hope everything is ok.

Disney Magic can't always fix things, but it can make you hopeful. Five years ago I watch and listened to "Wishes" at the Magic Kingdom in WDW while thinking about my dad at home dying from pancreas cancer. At that moment, I was wishing him well and had hope.

Good luck to you, cancer is a horrible thing to face.

Oh no, that is so awful for you and your family. I hope you can all help each other through the coming journey

Cancer and illness in general are so difficult to cope with for yourself or for loved ones. Disney is wonderful a wonderful fix for many things, but you're right, it can't fix everything. What it can do is warm your heart at times when you need a temporary fill. I don't see it as a band-aid... but more of a reinforcement of strength. Whether it's a movie or these boards, or just the thought, hopefully Disney can help you somehow. I wish you the best :wizard:

I am so sorry for your bad news. Disney magic does not fix things all the time but it can help take the sting out of life. Sending your family prayers and lots of Pixie dust and warm wishes

Im so truly sorry hon, Disney is a park, not life. It can not fix things, it can only bring momentary happiness. My prayers go out to your family at this time. Some times life sucks :( I feel so bad for you all right now, Take care of your self and know we are praying for you all :hug:

I am so sorry. My aunt was dxed with liver cancer about a year ago and is doing very well ... I hope your sister has a similar recovery!

I am so sorry to hear that cancer has arrived in your life again. I am a 12 year breast cancer stage 3 survivor. And yes, Disney cannot fix your grief and troubles but it is a lovely distraction. Every obstacle I have had, honestly I have treated myself and family to escape at DL. After Surgery where do I want to go? to DL; chemo.....DL, even a stem cell transplant with my filtration mask, as soon as the doc's okayed it, I was at DL. Escape when you can because life will always be there when you get back.
Best of luck to your loved ones :)

I am so sorry. My hopes are that you will enjoy the trip as much as possible. I will remember you in my prayers

Perhaps you can plan to have your sister accompany you to the park. That way, you can definitely have some very special time with her and make some memories and laughter that will get you through the rough spots ahead.

Bless you all. That's a lot to deal with all at once.

And yes, Disney cannot fix your grief and troubles but it is a lovely distraction.

Agreed that Disney is really a "leave your troubles at the door" kind of place.

:hug:My heart goes out to you and your sister. It absolutely bites when doctors deem cancer inoperable (which is why it's always worth it to get multiple opinions, that's how both my mom and my grandfather's cousin were able to get their "untreatable" cancers treated, thanks UCSF!:flower3:) and it's even worse when you have to deal with someone dying from it (been there, done that). Just gotta pray/think positive and keep trying to find solutions, 'cause you never know what's gonna work.:rolleyes:

I still cry tears of joy whenever I think back on when I went to the Magic Kingdom for a day as part of a youth group trip to Orlando during the summer after my senior year of high school. It was the first time that I had been away from my mom for a substantial amount of time since she had 2 rounds with breast cancer (during my sophomore and senior years of high school) and it was the first time I had gone to a Disney park in nearly a decade. When I first saw Cinderella's castle, it felt as if everything else had been just a bad dream and I was home:goodvibes, where nothing bad was going to happen (kinda like being wrapped up in a cozy blanket safe inside your home while there's a storm raging outside). It was 100% pure Disney magic.:wizard: I finally stopped worrying about whether my dad had picked up enough popsicles for my mom to eat or if my mom was anxious about having her port removed and just focused on the here and now. It did a lot more for my sanity than constantly calling for updates did. Did it mean that I completely forgot about my mom? No, but I was no longer completely focused on it, like I had been the rest of the time. I say go enjoy the park while you can, because we never know what's going to happen tomorrow, and it sure beats the heck out of sitting around and worrying needlessly.:thumbsup2

Here is some Pixie Dust to help you feel alittle better~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the second time in less than a year, we have had bad cancer news in the family. Last year just before I got in my car to drive to DL, I checked my email one last time before I left and learned a very close friend had stage 4 colon cancer. :scared1: I tried very hard to not dwell on the news but it was always in the back of my mind on my trip.

Fast forward to today. I am planning another trip to LA with a side trip to DL. I am supposed to drag a bunch of my mother's "stuff" to my sister's house. My mother got diagnosed with Alzheimers about 6 weeks ago and I am cleaning out some of her stuff, old family antiques, to bring to my sisters house in June. The exact same week I went last year. Today she , Sister, called. She has in operable "bile duct/liver cancer" :confused:(who knew you could get cancer in your bile duct??) I am still planning on going, both to her house and onto Disneyland. Again I will try not to dwell on it, but it will be hard.... some things Disney Magic just can't fix

HI.
I hope things go well for you and your family and friends.
I said a prayer for you.

I am so sorry for all that you are going through. You and your family will be in our prayers.

We have two sons with cerebral palsy, and a big part of us going to Disney is to try to "fix our troubles," so I know exactly what you mean.

I'm so sorry. We went to Disneyland as a family for the first time about 2 weeks after my mom passed away from cancer. She had originally thought of going with us but it was not to be. It was an incredible thing but while we were there the sadness and heartache were put on hold. It was wonderful to just be someplace happy and to accept that happiness. So, go. Have fun. Accept a little happiness into your life during this time of sadness. Why don't you see if your sister can go with you? It could be turnedinto an awesome memeory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter