Some Questions

jtiskool

Llamas Rock!!
Hi Everyone,

I'm not only new to Dis Boards, but I'm not even old enough to go to collage. But I always had a dream, a dream to work at Disney World when I got older, I have had this dream since the first time I went to Disney world when I was about Five. I also hope to go to collage, but some where away from home (for me, Upstate New York) But I am clueless on what school to Chose.

Someone please help "Clue me in" with the following:
Possiable schools
Disney Positions
Places to live
Transportation (Public or Own car?)
Ect.

Thank You All So So Much! pirate:

Roles at Disney are extremely varied and cover a lot of different degrees. For school, it just depends on what you want to do. If you like finance, go to a school known for a strong finance program and apply. If you want to work inside the theme parks as an operations cast member, you don't necessarily need a degree.

What kind of role are you looking for?

Also, at this time, at least, most schools will work with the college program...even if there's not an on-campus presentation at the school you choose, you can still do the e-presentation, so virtually anyone has the opportunity to do it. I'd suggest that you definitely choose a school based off of the academic program that you want, not the CP...they'll work with ya :)

Hi everyone, Once again it is my LIFELONG dream to be a part of disney other than just visiting..

I have visited there website and found out a lot of new information.. I am still only fourteen and not an A++ Student taking honors courses, I have a fealing that I will be going to a community collage for a few years, then transfering over to another collage.. But there is one thing, I have no clue how a collage works, what a major is, and what a collage credit is...
I know I can always ask my parents this, but my parents will always try to bring me down from doing something like this, I want to have all the information I can first.

My Questions Now:
Because I am not an A+ student will this affect me in anyway?..
How does the collage program really work??
In the online Epresenation I saw that they had a graduation.. How many years do you have to compleate to get this??..
What kind of classes do you take while there??

Thank You all so much for helping me accomplish my dream :thumbsup2

Because I am not an A+ student will this affect me in anyway?..

Oh no! Most people are not A+ students. It sounds like you are already planning on attending a CC - in that case most high school grades are usually only used if you are applying for a competitive program, otherwise most CC's have an open door policy that doesn't look at grades (They just need you to verify that you graduated - and there are even ways around that).

How does the collage program really work??

Well first let me explain "general" college to you:

College is designed to train our country's work force. There are millions of jobs out there and the trick is finding a program in college that would help train you for a dream career (even though most people will never work in the field of their college major).

The first level is the community college - CC's get their purpose from their name - the community. The point of a CC is to specifically train for jobs that are in need in your community. Most have two year programs (some do have four) and you could earn a certificate, diploma, or an Associate degree. Very common programs would be health fields (dental, nursing), or mechanical programs (welding, truck driving, auto mechanics), etc. These are typically programs that only require two years of training then you can start your job. These types of programs are called "Applied" because it is specific training for a specific type of job.

The other path at a CC is usually some type of general education program. Some students just take a semester or several of general credits (your writing, math, science, speech, etc) and then transfer to a four year college or university. It is helpful to do this option if you are unsure of what you want your major to be and you want to save money. You can do a full two years of general education and earn an Associates degree prior to transferring as well (this is what I did).

Now I should also point out that many students who do an applied program may also choose to transfer, but it is more difficult to transfer applied credits in some states so communication is key here.

The next step is the four year institution, these come in the form of Public/Private Universities or Public/Private Colleges. Most students will graduate from these institutions with some form of a Bachelors degree. Most programs run about 4 years, with 2 years of general education and two years of classes that actually deal with your major. However, it is becoming much more common for students to take 5 years to complete their degree and has become the new national standard.

After you get that Bachelor's degree you can then begin work on your Masters and then next is your Doctorate. The length of programs will start to vary depending on the major.

To put it into perspective a little...

I heard that about
35% of Americans have an Associate Degree
25% Bachelors
10% Masters
less than 1% Doctorate

The Disney College Program is an internship experience. You would take off one semester during college to move to Florida and work for the parks. You have the option to take a couple classes if you wish, but you can not get a full college degree from Disney. The program is more about getting the experience of working at Disney.

In the online Epresenation I saw that they had a graduation.. How many years do you have to compleate to get this??..

That's a special graduation for students who participate in the Disney College Program - you don't really get a degree or anything, its more like a "you did the program - Horray"

What kind of classes do you take while there??

The classes that you take at Disney are NOT designed to help you get a degree - they are more like self classes. There are classes that will help you become more professionally and will give tips on how to right your resume and cover letters. Other classes are Disney specific, you can learn about how they put on shows in their parks, what goes into creating a ride, etc.

Wow - that's a lot of information up there! I actually work for a university and am currently earning my masters in higher education (which is like college education) so let me know if you have any other questions!

wow thanks!

Congrats on your masters!

is there someone willing to help me find out the steps A-Z from High school to Collage Graduation, filling in the following.. (I just like visuals sorry :-)

Here is some information:
I want to go to collage (Duh!)
I am in 9th grade now..
I am most likly going to attend a "CC"
I would like to go for architechure (Wow I can't spell)
I am terrable at spelling..
I LOVE Disney..
And I also would like to know how you would get situated into, Charcter attendent, Janitor (Spelling).. ride operator, merchandise, ect..
(I'm hoping to be a Charcter attendent or Ride person who you know seats the visitors...)

Thanks so so so so much :upsidedow

Oh and for the above, don't forget the Disney Collage program experance :)

Thanks a bunch :)

jtiskool -- it's great that you're thinking about all of this already. It's never too early to begin. The CP will give you both practical work experience and an opportunity to enjoy Walt Disney World Resort as a Cast Member. Until then, you can prepare by working hard through high school so you can get into a good college. You might even consider getting a summer job in a restaurant or a hotel at some point. Having these experiences will show initiative, allow you to see if you enjoy the hospitality business and give you a competitive advantage over others who have not worked in a customer-contact position (or “guest-contact”, if you’re at Disney!).

You might enjoy taking this online crash course in the "Disney Way" -- you'll learn a lot about how the magic is made at WDW Resort. You'll also see what separates Walt Disney from the more typical ways of doing guest-service business: http://www.themedattraction.com/disney_way.htm The Disney Institute also published a book that I believe is still in print entitled “Be Our Guest: The Disney Approach to Customer Service.” You can become an expert before you even begin!

I was in your place not so many years ago. Like the last poster said: most people won’t have a job that corresponds with their college major. My major is in biology but my work experience is in recreation, hospitality and marketing. It’ll all work out. Just keep working hard and aiming high.
Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter