Some pointers for a prospective buyer (please!) :-)

SanFranDizneeGuy

Living/laughing/loving till the next adventure!
Just returned from our first (rental) vacation where we stayed at BCV and loved it. I am not contemplating buying on the resale market. Id welcome any advice. Specifically, I have a couple of questions...

1) If you buy at a home resort and then add additional points at another resort, do the points bank as a total or can you only spend the points you purchase at each in the 11 month window? (I would like to buy at BCV but they are much pricier than SSR and wondered if the points bank as a total if I mix it up)?
2) I read some advice to buy at SSR as it is so much cheaper, but the 11 month window seems a compelling reason to buy at the resort I want to stay at.
3) Any advice on # of points that makes it worthwhile (most of my trips are 2 people but some are family trips that are more people on occasional years).
4) If I were to purchase the at SSR, someone suggested just buying a cheaper resale from a non Disney club as you can use the points there as well and save money (of course if I decide to buy at BCV where I really want to stay this is moot, but curious your thoughts).

Thanks for any tips of advice you have!

Just returned from our first (rental) vacation where we stayed at BCV and loved it. I am not contemplating buying on the resale market. Id welcome any advice. Specifically, I have a couple of questions...

1) If you buy at a home resort and then add additional points at another resort, do the points bank as a total or can you only spend the points you purchase at each in the 11 month window? (I would like to buy at BCV but they are much pricier than SSR and wondered if the points bank as a total if I mix it up)?
2) I read some advice to buy at SSR as it is so much cheaper, but the 11 month window seems a compelling reason to buy at the resort I want to stay at.
3) Any advice on # of points that makes it worthwhile (most of my trips are 2 people but some are family trips that are more people on occasional years).
4) If I were to purchase the at SSR, someone suggested just buying a cheaper resale from a non Disney club as you can use the points there as well and save money (of course if I decide to buy at BCV where I really want to stay this is moot, but curious your thoughts).

1). The points at the resort they are attached to count for the 11 month window. If you want to combine points from two resorts you be limited to the 7 month window.
2). If you resort is not a big deal to you (any day at Disney is better than a day at work) then SSR gives you the most bang for your buck. However if you are particular to a certain resort then buying there is the best bet to making sure that the lions share of the time you are at that resort.
3). The number of points you'll need to buy will vary greatly depending on the resort you choose, the time that you stay and the accommodations you choose. First, if you are partial to a particular resort then Start there. Find a point chart and look up the accommodation that you like for the time period that you are most likely to travel on. There's a starting point. I ran a number of different scenarios and determined that I need about 250 pts to be real happy but I'm struggling about with less than that until I have them paid off before I add more.
4). I can't speak to buying another timeshare to trade into Disney but if I were to guess you'll never have that 11mo window and if you decide to travel during a peak season then you may be disappointed.

4). I can't speak to buying another timeshare to trade into Disney...
Generally, buying any timeshare to trade into any other timeshare is a bad idea. There are individuals who have done very well doing that, but they are a tiny minority of timeshare owners.

For one thing, timeshare systems sometimes change the exchange companies they use. For example, DVC once used RCI, then switched to II for several years, and more recently switched back to RCI again. So currently people who own timeshares which trade only in II (Marriott, for example) have no opportunity to trade into DVC.

Also, timeshare exchanges involve learning another system, more planning generally than just booking a reservation in the system you own, and luck. NOTHING is the same, and all the normal rules (11 month window, seasonal popularity, etc, etc) simply don't apply.

And finally (but very importantly), being able to exchange at all is not guaranteed. The ability to exchange could be restricted, modified, or eliminated entirely at any time by either DVC or RCI.
...and if you decide to travel during a peak season then you may be disappointed.
...or not. Exchange inventory is completely separate from DVC Points inventory.

We got an OKW 2BR five months out for Dec 14-21, 2013 via RCI. That's a reservation that is very unlikely using DVC points -- but we got it with RCI. Actually, we got it twice -- once with dates that didn't work for us, and later the same day with dates that did work.

But there are no guarantees...

I sounds, to me, like there might be some confusion regarding resale options? I've bolded the sections that appear to be in contradiction.

<snip>

You can buy points for any of the DVC properties either direct from Disney (retail) or "used" through a private party/broker (resale). When buying direct from Disney (retail), a new buyer will be pushed into buying the newest properties while being discouraged from buying an older property (such as BCV). If you really want to pay full freight (through Disney) for BCV, it can be done but you may need to be very insistant. Both SSR and BCV points can be found on the resale (used) market -- although there are more SSR contracts available than BCV.

I'm assuming your reference to "non Disney club" bolded above refers to a DVC resale broker. Agreed, if you buy SSR points resale, you may use the points at any of the DVC properties (11 month booking window for SSR and Treehouse Villas; 7 month booking window for other DVC locations including BCV). But more importantly, if you buy BCV points from that same DVC resale broker (saving you $$ vs buying direct from Disney) -- these points may ALSO be used at any of the DVC properties (11 month booking window for BCV; 7 month booking window for other DVC locations).

So ... your resale options are NOT limited only to SSR. If you want BCV, I'd encourage you to look for "used" BCV points. HTH

1) the home resort priority is separate by resort. you cannot combine at 11 months out.

2) if you have a strong preference, "buy where you want to stay." yes.

if you are just happy to be onsite, SSR is a good value.

3) this is hugely personal to your circumstances. start small if all you need are studios and add-on if you like it.

4) resale is a MUCH better deal for both SSR and BCV. the timeshare store is a great place to start (and a DIS sponsor) but there are a couple of other solid choices for resale purchases. buying resale means you lose a few options for trading out for cruises, adventures by disney tours or fancy hotels but those trades are very expensive.

Generally, buying any timeshare to trade into any other timeshare is a bad idea. There are individuals who have done very well doing that, but they are a tiny minority of timeshare owners.
I'm one of those people who have done reasonably well at exchanging; better than most but not as well as some. But I would NEVER recommend anyone buy a timeshare with that specific purpose in mind. I've only owned timeshares for about eight years now. In that time, there have been no fewer than five events that completely changed the way I exchange into DVC (and, in some cases, changed whether I could make a desired exchange at all):
  1. The move from Interval to RCI in 2008
  2. A global trade power refinement in RCI in early 2010 or so
  3. A complete revision in how Wyndham exchanges in RCI in early 2011
  4. The introduction of "points lite" in RCI, also in early 2011
  5. An apparent change in DVC deposit policy this past Fall, severely reducing deposits of larger units and more in-demand resorts
There have been several other, smaller changes about how DVC deposits units and how deposits (at DVC or elsewhere) are valued, all of which required tweaking of strategy but were not as significant as the list above. What's more, the current landscape for exchanging into DVC is about as unfavorable as it has been since before the recession started in 2008.

I view timesharing as a bit of a hobby, which Ambrose Bierce describes accurately as:

Hans meant well; but he had a hobby--a hobby that he did not ride: that does not express it: it rode him. It spurred him so hard, that the poor wretch could not pause a minute to see what he was putting into his mill.

So, I don't mind the constant changes, as keeping up with them is a source of "fun" for me. And, if DVC becomes too hard to exchange into, I'll just use my timeshares in other places---in addition to BLT last year and OKW this year for spring break, we also went to Sedona for hiking last year, have a stay in Hilton Head this summer, and are planning a two-week trip to Hawaii for next summer. We even spent a WDW Christmas this year offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and that was a blast.

But, if I just took the time I spent on my timeshare exchange "hobby," and instead spent it on billable work for a client and just bought a DVC contract that would have covered my exchange stays, I'd've probably been better off.

1). The points at the resort they are attached to count for the 11 month window. If you want to combine points from two resorts you be limited to the 7 month window.
2). If you resort is not a big deal to you (any day at Disney is better than a day at work) then SSR gives you the most bang for your buck. However if you are particular to a certain resort then buying there is the best bet to making sure that the lions share of the time you are at that resort.
3). The number of points you'll need to buy will vary greatly depending on the resort you choose, the time that you stay and the accommodations you choose. First, if you are partial to a particular resort then Start there. Find a point chart and look up the accommodation that you like for the time period that you are most likely to travel on. There's a starting point. I ran a number of different scenarios and determined that I need about 250 pts to be real happy but I'm struggling about with less than that until I have them paid off before I add more.
4). I can't speak to buying another timeshare to trade into Disney but if I were to guess you'll never have that 11mo window and if you decide to travel during a peak season then you may be disappointed.

Thanks Steve. Thats very helpful

Steve,
That was very helpful information and perspective. Thank you. Im really weighing my options about whether this is the time to buy and, if so, if it makes sense to pay more for the home resort that I want versus more points at a resort I know I don't want (the 11 month v 7 month window notion). Thanks for the good info.
Gary

For one thing, timeshare systems sometimes change the exchange companies they use. For example, DVC once used RCI, then switched to II for several years, and more recently switched back to RCI again. So currently people who own timeshares which trade only in II (Marriott, for example) have no opportunity to trade into DVC.

Also, timeshare exchanges involve learning another system, more planning generally than just booking a reservation in the system you own, and luck. NOTHING is the same, and all the normal rules (11 month window, seasonal popularity, etc, etc) simply don't apply.

And finally (but very importantly), being able to exchange at all is not guaranteed. The ability to exchange could be restricted, modified, or eliminated entirely at any time by either DVC or RCI. ...or not. Exchange inventory is completely separate from DVC Points inventory.

We got an OKW 2BR five months out for Dec 14-21, 2013 via RCI. That's a reservation that is very unlikely using DVC points -- but we got it with RCI. Actually, we got it twice -- once with dates that didn't work for us, and later the same day with dates that did work.

But there are no guarantees...

Thank you! The other timeshare question had just come up so its good to know that that seems like a non-starter. Thanks so much!

1) the home resort priority is separate by resort. you cannot combine at 11 months out.

2) if you have a strong preference, "buy where you want to stay." yes.

if you are just happy to be onsite, SSR is a good value.

3) this is hugely personal to your circumstances. start small if all you need are studios and add-on if you like it.

4) resale is a MUCH better deal for both SSR and BCV. the timeshare store is a great place to start (and a DIS sponsor) but there are a couple of other solid choices for resale purchases. buying resale means you lose a few options for trading out for cruises, adventures by disney tours or fancy hotels but those trades are very expensive.

Thank you!! This really makes good sense. I know where I want to stay (BCV) but like the notion of more points for the "buck" (SSR). I tend not to go at crazy busy times, but do anticipate that I would want to go to BCV during food and wine at Epcot which probably makes the 11 month window more critical. Thanks for your thoughts - very helpful!

I'm one of those people who have done reasonably well at exchanging; better than most but not as well as some. But I would NEVER recommend anyone buy a timeshare with that specific purpose in mind. I've only owned timeshares for about eight years now. In that time, there have been no fewer than five events that completely changed the way I exchange into DVC (and, in some cases, changed whether I could make a desired exchange at all):
  1. The move from Interval to RCI in 2008
  2. A global trade power refinement in RCI in early 2010 or so
  3. A complete revision in how Wyndham exchanges in RCI in early 2011
  4. The introduction of "points lite" in RCI, also in early 2011
  5. An apparent change in DVC deposit policy this past Fall, severely reducing deposits of larger units and more in-demand resorts
There have been several other, smaller changes about how DVC deposits units and how deposits (at DVC or elsewhere) are valued, all of which required tweaking of strategy but were not as significant as the list above. What's more, the current landscape for exchanging into DVC is about as unfavorable as it has been since before the recession started in 2008.

I view timesharing as a bit of a hobby, which Ambrose Bierce describes accurately as:

Hans meant well; but he had a hobby--a hobby that he did not ride: that does not express it: it rode him. It spurred him so hard, that the poor wretch could not pause a minute to see what he was putting into his mill.

So, I don't mind the constant changes, as keeping up with them is a source of "fun" for me. And, if DVC becomes too hard to exchange into, I'll just use my timeshares in other places---in addition to BLT last year and OKW this year for spring break, we also went to Sedona for hiking last year, have a stay in Hilton Head this summer, and are planning a two-week trip to Hawaii for next summer. We even spent a WDW Christmas this year offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and that was a blast.

But, if I just took the time I spent on my timeshare exchange "hobby," and instead spent it on billable work for a client and just bought a DVC contract that would have covered my exchange stays, I'd've probably been better off.

Great info - thank you. It does sound like it could become a new pastime -- I am an over planner already so probably don't need to throw shifting timeshare rules into the mix since I am really considering this for Disney stays (though I do travel elsewhere occasionally). The shifting sands of the rules does make it precarious to contemplate buying another timeshare -- the question someone posed is that you can often buy those for a small mount of $ and the assumption of the maintenance fee on the second hand market from someone just wanting to cut their losses...though I know that DVC is really what I want. Trying to think through all of this carefully and make a smart choice!

...I am really considering this for Disney stays (though I do travel elsewhere occasionally).
That's really the only reason to consider buying DVC, IMHO. I really don't think DVC is very good for stays other than WDW. For their other venues -- Vero, Hilton Head, Anaheim, and Hawaii -- there are better alternatives which are not only better, but a fraction of the cost in the resale marketplace, and with lower MFs. So, if you want to buy DVC for DVC at WDW, fine. If not, not -- IMHO.
-- the question someone posed is that you can often buy those for a small mount of $ and the assumption of the maintenance fee on the second hand market from someone just wanting to cut their losses...
As Brian said above, that's true. But the fact that something can be had cheaply is not sufficient reason to buy it.

If you a) want to be involved in timesharing, b) like the system you are buying and see real benefit within that system, and c) can buy it cheap -- that may be a good move. But don't buy anything that you don't like for its own intrinsic benefits.

If you really care about your resort, I caution you to buy where you love to stay. The problem with that idea is that you haven't had the experience of staying at all of the different DVC resorts.

We stayed at BCV and bought it as our first resort, it isn't on our list of current favorites.

If we had it to do over again, I would buy at SSR and use those points to experience all of the resorts, then sell SSR and buy the resorts that I want to call home.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you!! This really makes good sense. I know where I want to stay (BCV) but like the notion of more points for the "buck" (SSR). I tend not to go at crazy busy times, but do anticipate that I would want to go to BCV during food and wine at Epcot which probably makes the 11 month window more critical. Thanks for your thoughts - very helpful!

One thing to know is that DVC crazy busy times are different that WDW crazy busy times. First week in December - crazy busy DVC time, hard to get reservations at all quickly, popular resorts book before the seven month window, some room types at some resort disappear the day the eleven month window opens. Easter week, not a crazy busy DVC time - busy, certainly, but not crazy busy. 4th of July, busy, not crazy busy. Food and Wine is crazy busy at the Epcot resorts, and many F&W fans own enough points to book Epcot resorts at eleven months out just for F&W - they might own SSR points for their other trips - and most of F&W season is darn busy all over in the DVC world.

One thing to know is that DVC crazy busy times are different that WDW crazy busy times. First week in December - crazy busy DVC time, hard to get reservations at all quickly, popular resorts book before the seven month window, some room types at some resort disappear the day the eleven month window opens. Easter week, not a crazy busy DVC time - busy, certainly, but not crazy busy. 4th of July, busy, not crazy busy. Food and Wine is crazy busy at the Epcot resorts, and many F&W fans own enough points to book Epcot resorts at eleven months out just for F&W - they might own SSR points for their other trips - and most of F&W season is darn busy all over in the DVC world.

That is very helpful to know. I actually considered doing some SSR points and some BVC points for just that reason. Trying to weigh all of this out and determine if it makes sense to buy versus to continue renting points. Thanks for the info.

That is very helpful to know. I actually considered doing some SSR points and some BVC points for just that reason. Trying to weigh all of this out and determine if it makes sense to buy versus to continue renting points. Thanks for the info.

If you make your plans a year in advance, and they involve every other year trips, but you want all the resorts and you want them during their popular times, renting points adds some flexibility. Say you want HHI in the Summer, but only once every five years. BCV during Food and Wine, but only once every five years, and GFV - only once every five years, and Aulani in June - only once every five years. To be assured of doing that, you'd buy points at all those resorts, then rent them out when you aren't using them. Or you'd just continue to rent.

That really gets to the heart of my decision-making process....is it better to invest in BCV because I am into it right now...or continue to rent and have added flexibility...my habits currently include Disneyland 2-3 times per year (but not staying at Grand Californian) and Disney World every couple of years, though I would like to go there more often and would do so if I bought in. The flexibility variable is a good one to consider. Thanks.

That really gets to the heart of my decision-making process....is it better to invest in BCV because I am into it right now...or continue to rent and have added flexibility...my habits currently include Disneyland 2-3 times per year (but not staying at Grand Californian) and Disney World every couple of years, though I would like to go there more often and would do so if I bought in. The flexibility variable is a good one to consider. Thanks.
Going every 3 years to WDW you could buy a smaller resale BCV contract (1/3 the needed points for your usual BCV stay) and through banking and borrowing go once every 3 years. This first purchase doesn't have to be the only DVC purchase you make. And if after a couple of years you decide DVC doesn't work for you then you can sell and unless the economy tanks you'll probably not be out any more than you would have been if you'd rented points instead.

Going every 3 years to WDW you could buy a smaller resale BCV contract (1/3 the needed points for your usual BCV stay) and through banking and borrowing go once every 3 years. This first purchase doesn't have to be the only DVC purchase you make. And if after a couple of years you decide DVC doesn't work for you then you can sell and unless the economy tanks you'll probably not be out any more than you would have been if you'd rented points instead.

Agree. If you plan on every other year then buy half the number of points, or every three years buy 1/3 the number of points needed. Infrequent visitors can still benefit from DVC, it's just a bit of extra planning. It's when you buy for a week every year and then go every other year that the value decreases. There's an added plus with small contracts in that the they seem to hold value even better than the DVC norm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter