• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Some People & What They Wear

simonbg said:
I swear, some folks just cant have fun unless they are putting someone else down, and that’s a shame. But the one thing I do know is that *I* with my Tux t-shirt on and matching chuck taylor’s AND getting my photo taken on formal night and EATING in the main dining room.... will have a whole bunch of you with your panties in the twist over NOTHING!

Hmm who has the last laugh? The folks minding there own business or the ones taking time out of there vacation to MIND someone elses?
I'm having the last laugh, because I realize just how hypocritical you are with this post of yours detailing your actions and your reasoning for those actions.

With all that said, I would simply ignore you, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

WIFamily - You are a bigger person than I am.
I would giggle - albeit a hushed little giggle. Ok, maybe not so very hushed; I'm not Queen Elizabeth and I can't do that stone-face, stoic, expressionless look. I would probably stare, catch myself staring, then look away and pretend I wasn't staring. I would try not to point - I'd just tap (or kick) my DH repeatedly and say "Honey, check THAT out, over there, over there, yes the one wearing the tuxedo T-shirt" (giggle, giggle, giggle). I would ponder to myself if Mr. Tuxedo T-shirt man wouldn't be happier on a "Fun Ship" ( 'cause clearly he didn't lose his luggage). Then after a minor moment of giggling resulting from the distraction, I'd go back to enjoying my cruise. It wouldn't ruin my cruise, but I'd have my giggle. I'd forget about it completely until I posted my review here on the DIS and then I'd be sure to mention Mr. Tuxedo T-Shirt Man and how I got my giggle on!:lmao:

Just being honest:eek:

can't le all just get along?:grouphug:

i dressed to the 9's on formal night and enjoyed it. if there was someone at the table next to me in a tuxedo shirt, i think that might make my day. rock on for having the guts to wear it.:thumbsup2

I understand what you guys are saying....BUT this is coming from PIRATE STEVE mind you....I wear the pirate hat 24/7, (now palos & at diner I do take it off) BUT otherwise its a party & you should enjoy it...remember not everyones taste is the same. I have met people on the cruises in the last few months who think pirate steve's hat is great & some who think its stupid..but I'm having fun so who is really getting hurt? We are at the high seas people...lifes a quest search it out & pillage. & by chance if you ever meet PIRATE STEVE...say hi or give him an ARRRGGGGHHH, cause its time to have fun!pirate:

As I told my son about formal night.

While you may not like dressing up, doing so is a nice gesture to make to others that do want to dress up. In many ways all of life is a stage. Sometimes it is polite to act a part to help others enjoy themselves. In this case to set the mood on the stage.

I personally do not care what people wear on formal night (I refuse to let others dictate my moods). But what people wear does make a statement to those arround them. Whether they intended to or not.

In the case of the T-Shirt Tux, you are saying:

1) I know it is formal night.
2) I think I am funny.
3) I refuse to conform.

Whether number 2 or number 3 are positive or negative things will depend on a persons point of view.

In my case 2 is not funny. It shows no imagination and is worn out.

How about some ideas on what would be funny (and not offensive) to wear on formal night?

1) A Star Fleet dress uniform from Star Trek?

2) As the mad hatter at the tea party?

Any other ideas?

Mickey dressed in top hat and tails

Albus Dumbledore in flowing wizard robes and long white hair

"The Queen of Everything" complete with paste jewels in your tiara

:goodvibes

keep it going!

As I told my son about formal night.

While you may not like dressing up, doing so is a nice gesture to make to others that do want to dress up. In many ways all of life is a stage. Sometimes it is polite to act a part to help others enjoy themselves. In this case to set the mood on the stage.

I personally do not care what people wear on formal night (I refuse to let others dictate my moods). But what people wear does make a statement to those arround them. Whether they intended to or not.

In the case of the T-Shirt Tux, you are saying:

1) I know it is formal night.
2) I think I am funny.
3) I refuse to conform.

Whether number 2 or number 3 are positive or negative things will depend on a persons point of view.

In my case 2 is not funny. It shows no imagination and is worn out.

How about some ideas on what would be funny (and not offensive) to wear on formal night?

Any other ideas?

just have a wonderful time. Here you are...on the Disney ship with family or friends! Do the clothes really make the trip? I hope after all of the planning, the $$$ and the anticipation, the last thing that matters is your attire! I sat in my $3500 cocktail dress near a woman who wore a t-shirt and jeans and it appeared that she was enjoying her trip with her family as much as I was (if not more). I felt fabulous and clearly, so did she. Disney CM's truly want you to have a great time and they'll warmly invite you in (with some noted exceptions) without that fancy wear, or even the khakis.

If you are INVITED somewhere or are attending a religious service "dressing to respect" is in order. Certainly, school and work environments require a certain level of dress. At a restaurant or golf course, if there are RULES about attire, the rules will be enforced and it's the only way you can eat there or play there.

In the case of DCL, they make suggestions because it is "nice" or it is a theme for the night, it creates variety. But it is not enforced and frankly, I don't sail on the Disney Ships for other people. On my vacations, I'll plan what I want to do, dress the way I want (or the way a RULE dictactes if I want to go to that place) but playing dress up at a restaurant for the sole purpose "to respect" others or "to conform" seems like a ridiculous thing to teach my children if that's not what WE want to do on our vacation. There are plenty of places where conformity is expected but to criticize people (who have spent their hard earned money) to take a trip for not "conforming" on vacation seems so wrong.

Disney could enforce a dress code policy if they really want one. OR there could be a designated dining room (oh there is...Palo's) for enforced dress codes for those who are "into" appearances. The funny thing is...some of the most exclusive places where we dine around the world have dress codes BUT do not enforce them. People frequently wear (very stylish) jeans and t-shirts to dinner.

It's YOUR CHOICE. Spend time focusing on the IMPORTANT things...your family and friends and ENJOY the trip! Have fun! IF dressing up is "your thing", go for it. If not, that is OK too! You should be comfortable and enjoy your Disney Cruise!!! It doesn't matter what others think...really!
:hippie: Allie

Any other ideas?

1. Victorian formalwear with frock coat
  2. SCA formalwear
  3. Complete formal kilt suit (but I'm not checking to see if you're regimental)

I just want to add something here, and if you find the need to "flame" me, then go ahead, but perhaps TRY to put yourselves in my shoes, or someone else's.

DH and I have our own business, and work 7 days a week, alternating shifts. My SIL works one morning, so we can do our messages and things. Although this may me long, it is on topic, trust me.

When we have the opportunity to have a meal together, childfree or not, we (or at least I) can not even tell you what anyone else had on. Whether that was a yellow polka dot bikini or a tuxedo, I would never know. I am just so excited to be with my family, that I am starry eyed..By the slight chance that I did notice, it would not effect my meal, I have what is important to me, right beside me:hug:

We dress up, not in tuxedo's, but DH does wear a shirt and tie, as well as my son. My daughter and I also enjoy wearing pretty dresses. It is fun, but fun is not for all. I am all for abiding by the rules, I always do. If someone else doesn't, then it is not My problem.

As for those who would point and giggle, that is sad. My mom taught that staring, and laughing is truly wrong, as I teach my children. My son has a birth defect, and people do point and giggle. As his mother, this obviously breaks my heart, but my DS11(in 3 weeks) has learned there are more good people than sad ones like that. With great wisdom, he will turn to me and say "Isn't it sad Mom, that they are ignorant to what I have"?...;)

I hope someone just tried to think about someone else's situation. There are MANY families on a make a wish trip on DCL, perhaps you are laughing at them. Life has a way of biting you in the butt, so think twice..

BTW, I am truly excited, as Saturday night DH and I get to celebrate Valentine's Day by going out for supper together. And I can tell you, I won't notice a soul but him...:love: :love: :love: :love:

I understand I might be in the minority here, but I look at a cruise, night out to dinner, or other social event as an opportunity to teach my girls about the reality of life and social graces. Since they were babies, they have always dressed as recommended or expected even though others may not have. They are now 5 and 7 and wouldn't even ask to wear shorts or jeans to a restaurant or other event or activity where it wasn't appropriate. Yes, it is everyone's vacation, BUT following guidelines (dress and other) are a part of life and I believe the earlier that lesson is learned the better.

I believe we do our children a disservice when they are raised to believe it is "my vacation", "my life", "my night" out, etc... "I can do what I want" as the attitude will ultimately transfer into other parts of life. My nephue quit the HS golf team after they told him he couldn't wear his jeans on the course and had to wear Dockers. At my DD's kindergarten graduation where the children (and parents) were told to wear Sunday's best and Sunday's best was defined clearly as pants, and shirt and tie or coat if desired for boys. Two boys showed up in soccer shorts and authentic soccer jerseys because per the parents "if they didn't have to wear their uniform they couldn't get them into anything else". Now clearly it wasn't a financial issue as the cost of the soccer attire far exceeded what a pair of pants and shirt at Target would have cost. I do understand pick your battles, but if it is standard from birth it doesn't become a battle.

I'm not in the camp that believes what others wear will affect or dampen my vacation and I certainly don't believe that we should all run out and purchase extravagant tuxes and formal attire for our children or ourselves. However shorts, sweats, baseball caps (left on the duration of dinner - ugh) and jeans (even though allowed) simply don't belong in a dining room with a linen table cloth, silverware and crystal like glasses. We are all providing our children with tremendous opportunities by taking them on a cruise. We can further the experience by teaching them lessons that will last a lifetime.

well put...

I am teaching my family to adhere to the guidelines, and although they are all more comfortable in jeans/shorts, we do get dressed appropriately for dinner. As far as worrying about what others wear, I don't. I am only concerned about my family. How others dress is up to them.

I just want to add something here, and if you find the need to "flame" me, then go ahead, but perhaps TRY to put yourselves in my shoes, or someone else's.

DH and I have our own business, and work 7 days a week, alternating shifts. My SIL works one morning, so we can do our messages and things. Although this may me long, it is on topic, trust me.

When we have the opportunity to have a meal together, childfree or not, we (or at least I) can not even tell you what anyone else had on. Whether that was a yellow polka dot bikini or a tuxedo, I would never know. I am just so excited to be with my family, that I am starry eyed..By the slight chance that I did notice, it would not effect my meal, I have what is important to me, right beside me:hug:

We dress up, not in tuxedo's, but DH does wear a shirt and tie, as well as my son. My daughter and I also enjoy wearing pretty dresses. It is fun, but fun is not for all. I am all for abiding by the rules, I always do. If someone else doesn't, then it is not My problem.

As for those who would point and giggle, that is sad. My mom taught that staring, and laughing is truly wrong, as I teach my children. My son has a birth defect, and people do point and giggle. As his mother, this obviously breaks my heart, but my DS11(in 3 weeks) has learned there are more good people than sad ones like that. With great wisdom, he will turn to me and say "Isn't it sad Mom, that they are ignorant to what I have"?...;)

I hope someone just tried to think about someone else's situation. There are MANY families on a make a wish trip on DCL, perhaps you are laughing at them. Life has a way of biting you in the butt, so think twice..

BTW, I am truly excited, as Saturday night DH and I get to celebrate Valentine's Day by going out for supper together. And I can tell you, I won't notice a soul but him...:love: :love: :love: :love:

You are a wonderful example of how to live and what's truly important. Enjoy your Valentine's Day! You've got it together, girl!

Peace and love
~allie

Mommasita, I totally agree. I'm so focused on the people at our table that I hardly notice what else is going on in the dining room. As a matter of fact, my DH had to nudged me to see the waiters coming out with their colorful vests at the end of dinner at AP. Now if someone entered the room like the lady on the Celebrity cruise commercial, I might notice that. Have no fear though, if an attractive woman enters the room with only a bikini, I am sure that DH will point it out to me. ;)

All fun aside, you do have it right. The most important part of dinner is who you are spending it with. :hug: Oh, and the food comes in a very close second!

and (i assume) you deserve it! We work hard and we deserve to play hard. That is what vacation is all about!!! No matter where we are don't treat anyone with disrespect...EVER.

Well said! :love: :hug:

I like threads like these, but hate the posts like that on the first page, that say "Oh, I don't judge, and it doesn't ruin my vacation/dinner, and you shouldn't judge, walk a mile....blah, blah, blah. Is anyone saying it ruins their vacation? No, but I think everyone makes judgements, except for those wearing bright halos, like that of the poster on the first page. I know I noticed some really strange outfits on our cruise, and I just had to shake my head!

But what really bugged me were the women wearing floral, sleeveless dresses and white sandals on our Thanksgiving cruise. I know we are visiting tropical islands, but do you really thinkg that white floral dress looks good on you? It looks out of place for November and the holidays. Oh, and that flower in your hair-totally stupid!!!

Of course, you have a right to your opinion but it's a very harsh and sad thing to say about someone. You should consider how YOU make yourself look by saying such things. Being so critical makes you "look" much more ugly than their poor taste in dress (in your opinion) could ever be.

Just FYI, my post was in jest - trying to be humorous. But I don't think JOKING about giggling when someone is TRYING to garner attention by wearing a tuxedo t-shirt to formal night is the same as the situation you describe. It's not even in the same ballpark really!

Just FYI, my post was in jest - trying to be humorous. But I don't think JOKING about giggling when someone is TRYING to garner attention by wearing a tuxedo t-shirt to formal night is the same as the situation you describe. It's not even in the same ballpark really!

No, you are right. IT is not the same. Sorry if my feathers got ruffled. I am ultra sensitive.:hug:

No, you are right. IT is not the same. Sorry if my feathers got ruffled. I am ultra sensitive.:hug:

I totally understand. It's a mom thing and the way it should be really. I'd be concerned about a mom that wasn't sensitive to the needs of their children and try to protect them:hug:

I was on the 2/8/07 Wonder and we saw almost the same thing..
A guy and his wife in shorts and sandals the same thing you'd wear on a beach.. the wife even had a bathing suit on under her shirt because you could see the strap around her neck

such a shame :sad2:

if they want to dree like that... they should go to Pluto's

1. Victorian formalwear with frock coat
  2. SCA formalwear
  3. Complete formal kilt suit (but I'm not checking to see if you're regimental)

i did #3 on your list and the pics turned out good, people seemed cool with it, even though it was different. i'd like to see some german oktoberfest style formal wear for fun. those really nice dresses the japaneese ladies wear would also be cool.

We just sailed on 2/10 Western and saw a range of dress onboard. I purposely looked to see because I stressed about it before traveling and was curious to see how others would be dressed. I realized shortly after being there that it just doesn't matter what you wear. People are having their vacation regardless of others.

IMO The whole thing doesn't make sense (dictating to people on vacation) and bugged me so much :headache: I decided to ask some of the CM's about it. The responses were all the same. It didn't matter what the guests wore (as long as it wasn't inappropriate).

One told me that people like having "theme nights" on a cruise, "you know its a traditional thing some people are into that whole thing while others are not". We continue to offer the choice ;)

Another higher level CM said that on a ship when targeting families who are often casual travelers, we don't want to discourage anyone from being comfortable on their own vacation. It is always a personal choice to participate in Formal or Semi-Formal night OR Pirate night by dressing up. Anyone is welcome in the dining rooms. Come as you are (with the exception of a swimsuit-a shirt and shoes required) :grouphug:

Another CM shook his head and laughed, "We have no problem with what guests wear. It's your cruise, have a magical time!"

After hearing all of that, I quit worrying and got more casual which fit with my comfort level. I looked nice but felt great. Much better than when I felt forced to dress to a certain level (especially kids) on the trip that we had paid for just like everyone else. We ate where we wanted and I didn't even notice anyone else's clothes after that.

Enjoy your cruise. Disney wants you to. If you want to dress up they have nights for it! But don't feel like you have to. Disney CM's aren't judging you. A few other passengers may be, though but you're not traveling for them!:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter