Some People Should Just Stay Home

SafetyPinndSally

Mouseketeer
Anyone else ever feel like that way when dealing with someone going to WDW? Maybe a family member, coworker or a neighbor?

I am constantly feeling this way all the time now, since it seems like everyone around me (excluding myself and DH) have been going on trips to the World. All any of them seem to be doing when they get back is complain.

A woman that I work with went with her family two weeks ago and all she could talk about when she got back was how expensive everything was, how bad the food was, how horrible the hotel was(they stayed at the Poly, so I really think she was over exagerating at this point.)

We have a neighbor who lives on the floor above us who knows how much we love Disney and so he felt the need to come down after his trip and do nothing but complain about the trip. Here's a conversation I had with him at our mailbox the other day:

Me: So we're planning another Disney vacation...
Him: Why? That place is a waste of time and money
Me: Well Scott and I really love it there, especially the food.
Him: Well I HATED the food! We went to this one place Tutto something(Tutto Italia in Epcot) and I don't even like italian food...
Me: Oh well...I have to go and look up our ADRs for the trip...bye!
Him: (shouting after me in my rushed retreat) What the #@!& is an ADR?!

My stepmother HATES anything Disney because she thinks the entire corporation is corupt and yet they are taking my nephew there in the spring. All she has done is complain to me about the "mouse" stealing her hard earned money and so on and so forth. They why are you going? If you hate it THAT much...save your time and money by staying home that way some nice family who loves WDW can get the ADRs/room/parade spot/ ect that your mouse hating behind would otherwise be taking up.

Anyone else feel this way or am I just griping for no reason?

Well thankfully you don't have to have them with you on vacation. ;) I guess not everyone is a planner. I am the opposite though -I complain a LOT when I get back ..... I complain about having to leave Disney to come back :lmao:

Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. I worked with a woman like that, not happy unless she was telling you how awful everything was (and how much she paid for it, too!) I don't understand it; I've always found that the bad parts of a vacation are either overshadowed by the awesome parts, or just plain funny stories to tell. Like on our honeymoon, at a very nice resort in Jamaica, we were in bed and happened to look over and see an ENORMOUS cockroach crawling on the floor! It scared us at the time (we'd never encountered them before) and I literally screamed...and then the next night found one right next to my foot while in the ladies' room!:scared1:

haha if they don't enjoy their Disney experiences, they don't have to go back!

I'm about to leave my brother and SIL at home. They refuse to call our trip anything other than "a beating". They are completely anti-Disney so I offered to take their boys (7 and 9) for their Christmas present. These boys have been so sheltered from everything Disney, they haven't even seen very many Disney movies. Anyway, brother decides the kids would feel more comfortable if they went along. I already had a 2 bedroom villa booked, so I agreed to just let them pay their dining plan. They then decided that was a good deal and added a day onto our stay...my expense. They refuse to give any input on plans, just complain about what I suggest. Now, 2 weeks before the trip, they decide they aren't going to go. My mom is upset because she was looking forward to a trip with the kids and is begging them to reconsider. I'm not dilusional enough to think that I'm going to be able to change their opinions and hope they stay home!

Sorry to hijack...but, phew...I feel better already!

The thing is...my stepmother HATES Disney and I mean she loathes the very mention of anything related to Disney and yet she's going in a few months...why?

Why take my nephew to a place that he could really fall in love with if all you're going to do the entire time is complain? What's the point? Not only are you making the rest of your party miserable, but other guests around you as well and that's really not okay in my book. Hate Disney all you want, but don't go to the one place that is the epitome of Disney, just to be miserable and make others miserable.

I love Disney and I get that some don't share in that love and that's cool...but keep the hate to yourself because I'm not going to get in to a war of words with you haha. My neighbor keeps trying to egg me into a hard discussion on the subject of WDW and I think he's getting annoyed that I won't have anything to do with it.

It's people's personalities. If they are negative people in general, even the happiest place on earth can't change that. My SILs & BILs are like that. They go their 1 trip to WDW & have to complain to me when they come back b/c I am the Disney fan. It's too hot, too crowded, too expensive. Of course, none of them asked for my help in planning either.
Now my family is the opposite. My cousin, aunts, uncles all ask me for help planning & then have a great time. They can't wait to tell me all the fun they had. My family has a more positive outlook on life too.

Yes. I would never go to WDW with my mom or sister. They are negative about everything. Think Debbie Downer, lol. So, I refuse to even ask them to come with us. They would complain about the plane, the prices, the food, the lines, the people, the heat. Everything. It wouldn't be fun for us...

Anyone else ever feel like that way when dealing with someone going to WDW? Maybe a family member, coworker or a neighbor?

Not currently. All our Disney pals are pretty up. :goodvibes

But we've totally dealt with people like that in the past. Can't remember for sure about Disney, but they'll go someplace and it's like they're doing a despised school assignment -- they clearly don't like the place even before they go, and when they get back they hate the place even more. It's like they feel they have to go there to be "well traveled", but they're traveling in the first place because it's the thing to do, not because they particularly like traveling. They're conforming to something that's only in their mind, and they're mad that they have to do it. :confused3

We are taking my Mom and Sis with us in May and whenever she has gone with us to a fair or an all day long event my sis is the one to complain, like her feet hurting, for some reason she thinks her feet hurt worse then everyone elses even though we all have been on our feet all day. I hope our up coming trip she wont be so bad. One can hope right?!

WDW can be expensive or reasonable depending on you. People criticize me for always going to Disney all the while they go the beach every year. Talk about boring. We spent way more taking the kids to Seattle this spring then we have on any of our last several WDW trips. Many years ago I quit going to sporting events because we had our kids and frankly sports became boring to me. When my son got older I have recently taken him to several college sporting events. Geez, they are just as expensive as WDW.

I don't know why this is but you could say you went to just about anywhere and people will say something nice or nothing, but mention WDW and there is a good chance you will get some weird looks and bad commentary.

Him: Well I HATED the food! We went to this one place Tutto something(Tutto Italia in Epcot) and I don't even like italian food...

My stepmother HATES anything Disney because she thinks the entire corporation is corupt and yet they are taking my nephew there in the spring. All she has done is complain to me about the "mouse" stealing her hard earned money and so on and so forth. They why are you going?

He chose to go to a place called Tutto Italia, located in the Italy pavilion, when he doesn't like Italian food? :rotfl2:

Tell another adult in the group to go see One Man's Dream, to remind her that no matter how enormous the company is *now*, it started with just one single man wanting to do something for his daughters. Throughout my 20s I was extremely anti-Disney, read all the anti-mouse books, etc etc, and then one day it hit me that he was just a dude. Most companies started with just a person coming up with an idea. And then the company grows from there.

Couple years after realizing that (which came after the death of my mom when she was 55, and the year of extreme mourning, growth, and change that showed me the reason why all fairy tales, and therefore most Disney films, have a parent's death at the start, to kickstart the hero's story/life) I found myself sobbing at Disneyland's version of the "how it all started" movie. All from realizing that he was just a guy; he didn't start it to create a terrifyingly big corporation...

It's possible that if she gets that, she can soften just a bit. I might recommend that they use a free dining package so she isn't constantly laying out money for food, and perhaps send your nephew off with a hefty giftcard for souvenirs so it's easy for him to get them with having to ask for more and more and more money. :)

My DH is one of those people who just shouldn't go. He doesn't like theme parks and doesn't like Florida. Down there he complains about how much everything in Disney costs, the cost of food, souviners, and park admission, how the place is just so big that it's hard to get away and you really feel trapped (And that Disney has you trapped and they know it and they gouge you), that it's way too crowded, that it's way too hot and humid, how he just can't stand all the man made stuff (fake stuff not real stuff), how a path with out a pebble in site to kick just drives him crazy, how Boma, a place where he used to like to go to eat, has gone downhill -- catering to the masses (not as strong African flavors). Disney in particular really gives him a bad vibe, and he just wants to escape (get out of there). The only place he liked in the area was Gatorland. He liked it that it was more of an old time Florida attraction rather than world class theme park, and he liked it that alligators are native to the area. In the past he has enjoyed La Nouba, Blue Man Group, and Skyventure indoor sky diving too, but that's about it.

What I do these days is pick some place the family will all like for a main vacation. It's usually a pristine natural place out west like a National Park. My DH just loves that kind of thing, and a happy DH makes for a happy family vacation. I usually go to Orlando for a little mini trip once a year with DS and extended family (and the last two trips have had DH stay home -- so much nicer go be with people in Orlando who are enthusiast and love the place, as much if not more than I do. And Orlando is such a great place to have a wonderful time with your teen.)

I'm a little concerned, though. DH will not be gong with me and DS on our 2011 trip (third trip to Orlando without DH and that will be great), but he wants to join us for a mini trip in 2012 (just four nights / three days). We'll be doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour as DS will be 16, and surprise/surprise DH want to join us for that. He might like it, as he usually does like behind the scenes tours. He even had me add an extra day to our trip to fit in a day for Gatorland and an evening for Blue Man Group (wants DS to see this now that he's a teen.) (Trip was originally just going to be three nights / two days). Our one other day will be SeaWorld. DH likes that more than Disney, but still is not a big fan (He might even skip that day.) Anyway, I'll get a rental car for sure and am booking the LBV newly renovated Holiday Inn (making sure not to stay onsite) and getting a balcony room with downtown disney view (Thinking DH can read out there and walk to Crossroads or Downtown Disney when DS and I go to SeaWorld. Also with shuttles DH can take car back after Keys to the Kingdom tour while DS and I do some other things at the MK. And DH loves Gatorland and Blueman group, so that day should be fine. I'm still concerned though. I just hope DH won't be too much of a poop on this mini trip // just really don't want to hear complaining.

I'm about to leave my brother and SIL at home. They refuse to call our trip anything other than "a beating". They are completely anti-Disney so I offered to take their boys (7 and 9) for their Christmas present. These boys have been so sheltered from everything Disney, they haven't even seen very many Disney movies. Anyway, brother decides the kids would feel more comfortable if they went along. I already had a 2 bedroom villa booked, so I agreed to just let them pay their dining plan. They then decided that was a good deal and added a day onto our stay...my expense. They refuse to give any input on plans, just complain about what I suggest. Now, 2 weeks before the trip, they decide they aren't going to go. My mom is upset because she was looking forward to a trip with the kids and is begging them to reconsider. I'm not dilusional enough to think that I'm going to be able to change their opinions and hope they stay home!

Sorry to hijack...but, phew...I feel better already!

Sounds like they are doing you a big favor. Don't talk them out of not going and have a magical trip.

Throughout my 20s I was extremely anti-Disney, read all the anti-mouse books, etc etc, and then one day it hit me that he was just a dude. Most companies started with just a person coming up with an idea. And then the company grows from there.

I've been a background Disney fan ever since Annette came on the tiny black and white screen and said...Hi, I'm Annette. In that year the Mickey Mouse Club spent a lot of time in Disneyland. As a kid I watched it and wanted to go there so bad, but we lived on the east coast and that was on the west and it just wasn't going to happen.

When I first started out, it was tough sledding (little snow country humor there) financially. We, as a family, couldn't afford to go anywhere much less Disney. Finally, when my youngest reached 6 years old and I was 35 years old, we made a carefully budgeted trip, via road trip, to Walt Disney World. It was the year that EPCOT Center opened. I have been 28 times since then. With family, with friends and alone. It is still great.

I told you all that to tell you this...Last year I was in Orlando at a convention and my hotel room was on the 8th floor over looking Rte 4. As you might imagine that location afforded quite a view, in all directions. Way off in the distance I could see the Contemporary. A little south of the I could see the top of Spaceship Earth. I could see Orlando, Kissimmee and heavens knows what else.

It occurred to me that one man, just one single man was responsible for all that I was seeing. All the buildings, all the highways, all the traffic, all the businesses, all the convention centers, other attractions, etc. would not be there if not for the imagination and determination of Walter E. Disney. Talk about leaving a legacy.

As a side note...I never got to Disneyland until I was 57 years old. Still was magic.

The people you hear complaining about Disney are the same ones you hear complaining about life in general. And if you take a look at their lives, even if they have money, they are not successful humans. They are unfulfilled. And that is due to no other reason than the fact that they spend their lives staring at the problems.
Life is focus. Whatever you give your attention to is what you will get. If you look for all the problems, you will see them - and that's all you will see. It will fill your field of vision, making it impossible for you to see the opportunities that abound, impossible to see everything that is perfect in your world.
Just tell them you're so sorry they didn't have a good time and that you hope the day goes better for them.

I agree that some people just complain regardless of the experience. We had friends go with us in the spring for their first WDW trip. She complained the entire trip. The view from their room, the food, the cost of things, her dh wasn't taking enough pictures etc etc. When we first got back she still complained about everything. Fast forward a month and all of a sudden it was the greatest place on earth and she can't wait to go back :confused3

Now, our inlaws are going with us on our next trip. My mil complains about everything. I am glad my dd's will get to go on vacation with their grandparents but I am secretly dreading all her negative comments and feel this may be a huge mistake :headache:

I've been a background Disney fan ever since Annette came on the tiny black and white screen and said...Hi, I'm Annette.

I became a fan the year Annette was able to print her whole first and last name across the front of her shirt.

Bill From PA

My DH is not really a Disney fan. He went with an ex when he was in college and thought it was a total waste of money. I told him it was the company he was keeping back then! He now has gone twice with our kids. This last time, he really felt like we needed the vacation after a difficult year. I think he at least enjoyed it from the kids perspective. He also appreciated that I planned the trip so well. He was well fed with good food for a week so that was pretty much good enough for him!

That being said, of course its hot and humid. Of course there are crowds. Of course it is expensive. Of course not every room view is looking at the castle. Of course not every meal is going to be perfect. I'm not sure what people expect Disney to be. I agree then if those are thier concerns, they should either work around them or just not go.
Jessica

My dh does not like Disney. Yet, we went to US/IOA a few years ago and he liked that? Weird, I know. I grew up going to WDW, so I have always loved it and it holds a lot of good memories for me. My ds and dd LOVE Disney. My ds and I are going next month for his 16th birthday (his idea). We went last year at Thanksgiving and he thought the castle with all the lights was "magical." In fact, one day he wants a Disney wedding. :lmao: My 7 yr old daughter loves the characters. We went first went when she was 5 she said before hand she knew they were just people in suits (like the Chick-fil-A-Cow) but when she got there all that logic went out the window and she was in love. It was so adorable. Last trip we got an autograph book and met all the character and had a great time.
My dh doesn't go with us. I am a teacher, so I get more time off. Me and dd and ds go during our breaks and then we try to do a summer beach vacation or cruise as a family. If we took dh to Disney all he would do was complain about the prices, the crowds, everything. He just, for some reason, holds a grudge against Disney. He just doesn't get it and that's ok. I know he would go if we forced him but then I would be all stressed because of his complaining. We have struck a real nice balance.

It occurred to me that one man, just one single man was responsible for all that I was seeing. All the buildings, all the highways, all the traffic, all the businesses, all the convention centers, other attractions, etc. would not be there if not for the imagination and determination of Walter E. Disney. Talk about leaving a legacy.
Incredible isn't it. No wonder One Man's Dream the tribute to Walt is my favorite attraction.

The people you hear complaining about Disney are the same ones you hear complaining about life in general.
Not true of DH -- He's normally not a complainer, but theme parks and Disney in particular bring out the worst in him. No wonder I usually leave him home for Orlando trips. (He's quick to be enthused out west, at wonderful theatre performances, concerts, etc., content with life in general -- work and home) But the smart person would keep him away from Florida and theme parks. I really think some people are just not theme park people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter