Some people are so rude!

Several years of visiting the World, we've had the pleasure of experiencing several forms of rudeness. Here are a few of our favorites:

4) people going and holding tables before they get their food at extremely crowded counter service restaurants;

It is IMO ridiculous that anyone would consider this rude. As others have mentioned, it would be more rude to have your entire party clogging up the food lines. Also, if this bothers you, just eat your meal an hour earlier than the standard times, and there will be no line and no worries about getting a table.

You won't teach your daughter the same?

Sure I will...but right now my daughter is 2. On our last two trips, she was 15 months and 29 months. I don't think she should be standing up on a bus right now. :rolleyes: In fact, she sits on my lap when we are on the bus. When she is older, she and I will be standing up for people who look like they need a seat.

Judging has absolutely nothing to do with rudeness. It's actions. How one's actions affect other people. If you feel that cutting in line (and going to get a table while someone else gets your food is the same as cutting in line) is fine, then your being rude. Someone said, well everyone else does it. Does that make it right? You have rude people and you have people who show courtesy towards others. It's black and white.

It is IMO ridiculous that anyone would consider this rude. As others have mentioned, it would be more rude to have your entire party clogging up the food lines. Also, if this bothers you, just eat your meal an hour earlier than the standard times, and there will be no line and no worries about getting a table.

I agree with you here. We are a larger family. At CS rest. most of my family will go find a table and wait for me to bring the food back. This is a normal and acceptable practice and nothing like what the OP experienced. I think six extra people in the ordering line is far worse than saving a table for five minutes waiting for food. I also don't want to be walking around with all that food looking for a table and have a greater chance of tripping over or spilling something. It costs a small fortune to feed my family.

Sure I will...but right now my daughter is 2. On our last two trips, she was 15 months and 29 months. I don't think she should be standing up on a bus right now. :rolleyes: In fact, she sits on my lap when we are on the bus. When she is older, she and I will be standing up for people who look like they need a seat.

Just wondering. Of course she is too young now. Don't be ridiculous. Some, however, think it is about "chivalry" rather than everyone looking out for others. No need for ":rolleyes:"

Just wondering. Of course she is too young now. Don't be ridiculous. Some, however, think it is about "chivalry" rather than everyone looking out for others. No need for ":rolleyes:"

I saw the complete need for :rolleyes: It is obvious in my signature that she is 2. I am pretty sure that I said it was my job to teach my children manners, not just my boys. When the lesson would apply to her, she will learn it.

When a "table holder" is sitting down at a restaurant without any food, and sees other people with full trays of food, wandering around looking for a free table, I don't see how the "table holder" does not realize that what they are doing is rude.

Example - If you were on line at Space Mountain (or any ride) and were at the front of the line. What if you did not board the ride vehicle because the rest of your family was not there yet. Also, you were refusing to let the people behind you board the ride as you were first. This hypothetical situation is the same as the dining situation. It would be rude of you to hold up other guests who had been waiting on line with their entire party, just because the rest of your party has not yet arrived.

That is nice to hear. No need to be so defensive. I wasn't attacking. I was merely asking. Chill.

Several years of visiting the World, we've had the pleasure of experiencing several forms of rudeness. Here are a few of our favorites:

4) people going and holding tables before they get their food at extremely crowded counter service restaurants;

Like others, I do not find this rude at all. What I do find rude is when people finish their meal and sit there for 20 minutes while people are walking around looking for seats. Especially in a place like sommerfest in Germany where there is very little seating. Nothing like sitting on the bench with a tray on your lap eating while people are having a chat. Sorry it is not fine dinning, it is quick service.

Also, if you are at a table and you see people walking around looking for somewhere to sit and you have a bunch of empty seats your not using invite them to sit down. Most Americans would be uncomfortable asking to sit there, but Europeans will just ask if the seats are taken. It is not unusual in a quick service location or a beer hall for people to sit at your table, it is the norm.

This is especially true during the wine and food festival. I am always at one of those little tables by myself and see people struggling with a wine and a sample while I am taking up a whole table. It is extremely rude not to offer them a spot.

Teaching a child manners is admirable. Not many people do that anymore. I think in the right circumstances these manners sh ould be displayed, however I dont think Disney is one of them.

Pregnant, disabled, old, or carrying a child - you made a choice to go to Disney. We are ALL tired. We ALL want to sit. We ALL have the same rights to sitting.

So using your logic, manners only need to be displayed in the "right" circumstances? Wow! WHO is to determine WHAT the "right" circumstances are? Do we need an entire new Emily Post book written on "the right circumstances to use your manners"?? I don't think so. In an ideal world, everyone would use good manners all the time. Of course we all know that will never happen but it's something to strive for.

Using your logic again, that's like saying handicapped people shouldn't be able to use handicapped parking at the mall because they don't HAVE to go to a big shopping mall . They made a choice to go there.

IMHO, I think you are just making excuses for bad manners when it's convenient for you. Whether you're at Disney, on a crowded city bus, etc. people should consider others. It's all about having awareness for other people and being considerate. Too many people think "If nobody else is doing it then why should I"?? That's really just a shame.

Other things I find rude in Disney.

Wearing T-Shirts with offensive sayings. I still cannot believe the one I saw in Epcot Sunday, several times. There is a time and a place for everything, but this is somewhat of a family environment, even if there is drinking going on. Not sure is it is appropriate to post what it said here so I will not.

Also offensive in this environment. The women wearing a mesh see through dress with a Victoria Secrets lace bra and VS Pout lace trim panties that say "beach bum" on them. Yes it was that see through and this was in animal kingdom. Yes I do have an eye for detail. I did not mind it myself, but it is rude in Animal Kingdom.

People with strollers and those eclectic chairs who think it gives them the right to drive through the crowd like it is not there. I have gone to Disney with my mother who needs a wheel chair to get around and I would never do anything like that.

People who do not know what a line is for.

People who stand in front of people in wheel chairs at shows.

People who do not invite small children to stand in front of them at the shows. Your taller then them they won't block your view.

People who do not know what they want by the time they get to the register at a QS location and don't get out of the way.

I could go on forever in this thread, but I need to head to the parks to look for the one in the see through dress ;).

I saw the complete need for :rolleyes: It is obvious in my signature that she is 2. I am pretty sure that I said it was my job to teach my children manners, not just my boys. When the lesson would apply to her, she will learn it.

I'm with you on this one. It was quite clear to me that that your daughter is only two. I also thought your reply was very politely given; not sarcastic like some others. ;)

I agree with you here. We are a larger family. At CS rest. most of my family will go find a table and wait for me to bring the food back. This is a normal and acceptable practice and nothing like what the OP experienced. I think six extra people in the ordering line is far worse than saving a table for five minutes waiting for food. I also don't want to be walking around with all that food looking for a table and have a greater chance of tripping over or spilling something. It costs a small fortune to feed my family.

But Disney doesn't agree, at least when the parks are busy. That is why they are testing having CMs who seat you at some of the counter service eateries when they are busy.

Hey, on most of my trips to the World there are at least 6 of us, so I know how you feel. But it is exceedingly frustrating to see a huge number of tables being held by people who do not even have their food yet, when you are carrying a tray around, looking for a place to sit.

S
IMHO, I think you are just making excuses for bad manners when it's convenient for you. Whether you're at Disney, on a crowded city bus, etc. people should consider others. It's all about having awareness for other people and being considerate. Too many people think "If nobody else is doing it then why should I"?? That's really just a shame.

"Integrity" means applying principles regardless of the circumstance. If you value being kind to others, that means you will be kind and offer your seat regardless of the fact that the pregnant woman or elderly person, etc. may have used poor judgment in getting on the bus. I guess your worldview determines whether you think that person is trying to take something from you or whether there was simply an error in judgment made.

So often these threads reflect a real fear and mistrust of other people. It is really sad. I want to let people who do not view the world that way know that you are not alone. Continue to encourage kindness and empathy in your children. If everyone did that, we would not even have to have 35 threads of this kind a week. :flower3:

So using your logic, manners only need to be displayed in the "right" circumstances? Wow! WHO is to determine WHAT the "right" circumstances are? Do we need an entire new Emily Post book written on "the right circumstances to use your manners"?? I don't think so. In an ideal world, everyone would use good manners all the time. Of course we all know that will never happen but it's something to strive for.

Using your logic again, that's like saying handicapped people shouldn't be able to use handicapped parking at the mall because they don't HAVE to go to a big shopping mall . They made a choice to go there.

The problem here is not when to use or not use manners. It is of Disney's policy to just let everybody into their parks, without weeding out the "people with issues". Disney needs to put forth a policy that states, "Pregnant women, families with infants, senior citizens; and handicapped people are not welcome at this magical place". After all, Disney is no place to display proper manners. In the spirit of Walt himself, the parks were designed as an "every man for himself" theme park experience. Manners are for people too weak to come in first. That is what I proudly teach my children. If you are able to shove your way past another guest, it's their fault for not being strong enough or fast enough. Yep, manners in Disney World? Don't be ridiculous.:sad2:

We were just there last month and I have to say that I too noticed a lot of rude behavior, mainly from adults. Now I don't find it rude to hold tables, if the place is not to busy. I do find it rude to sit at tables and talk for 20 minutes after you are finished eating and there are people who are walking around with trays looking for a place to eat. Get up and let someone else have the table and take your conversation outside.

I also find it rude to rush around people at the entrance to an attraction. I was so mad at the American Idol show, the last one of the day. We were there just after six for the 7:00 show. We were close to the first door and when they let the people in with wheelchairs, everyone rushed up to get closer to the door like someone might get in two seconds before them. :rolleyes: Well, my son got trampled on and I got mad. I'm talking these other people were right in our faces. Unreal.

So what happens? They open the doors and everyone is told to move all the way accross the theater, naturally. So that put all of us on the very left of the stage. Well, this family infront of us was NOT happy with that. They complained to a CM that they should be front and center because they were there first. Whatever. They made a big ole stink about it, but they were not allowed to move. Everyone around us was like WTH? It was unreal.

I couldn't believe it but this was the first trip that I ever saw rude cast members, and I saw plenty. Most were nice, but there were a few that stood out in my mind and made me question what I had just heard. It was kind of sad. :sad2:

"Integrity" means applying principles regardless of the circumstance. If you value being kind to others, that means you will be kind and offer your seat regardless of the fact that the pregnant woman or elderly person, etc. may have used poor judgment in getting on the bus. I guess your worldview determines whether you think that person is trying to take something from you or whether there was simply an error in judgment made.

So often these threads reflect a real fear and mistrust of other people. It is really sad. I want to let people who do not view the world that way know that you are not alone. Continue to encourage kindness and empathy in your children. If everyone did that, we would not even have to have 35 threads of this kind a week. :flower3:

I want to say first off that I agree with everything you have said.

And I think the only time there is an issue is when people stop being grateful when others a courteous to them, and instead expect it. At least that is the vibe I get from some posts. I also think that if you get on a bus with the attitude that someone had better get up and give you their seat, you are probably less likely to get it.

I think people are crabbier and perhaps less than polite in the heat. When we were there a couple of weeks ago it was like touring the sun's surface. Saw lot's of people bickering about everything.

I want to say first off that I agree with everything you have said.

And I think the only time there is an issue is when people stop being grateful when others a courteous to them, and instead expect it. At least that is the vibe I get from some posts. I also think that if you get on a bus with the attitude that someone had better get up and give you their seat, you are probably less likely to get it.

What's that attitude look like? I would just need to see that before I decide if I think someone is acting entitled. My first inclination is to give the benefit of the doubt. I think that's the "world view" thing I was talking about. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter